The Student Room Group

Can't decide between 2 career choices

I am in year 12 and I'm doing a levels. All I've ever wanted to do is work with children but at the minute I am completely torn between wanting to be a primary school teacher or wanting to be a paediatrician. I have taken all my a levels so I can apply for medicine if that is what I decide because I know that's much harder to get onto than education. I am currently doing work experience/volunteering in a primary school and I love it, I can see myself doing it in the future but I can also see myself doing medicine. I'm trying to organise some work experience in a hospital so I can get an idea for medicine but I am wondering if anyone has any tips on deciding which one to do. I don't want to go to uni and study medicine and then decide I don't want to do medicine because then id of wasted all that time and money but similarly I don't want to become a teacher and then regret not doing medicine so I don't know what to do, please help. Thank you and also sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Original post by jen1515
I am in year 12 and I'm doing a levels. All I've ever wanted to do is work with children but at the minute I am completely torn between wanting to be a primary school teacher or wanting to be a paediatrician. I have taken all my a levels so I can apply for medicine if that is what I decide because I know that's much harder to get onto than education. I am currently doing work experience/volunteering in a primary school and I love it, I can see myself doing it in the future but I can also see myself doing medicine. I'm trying to organise some work experience in a hospital so I can get an idea for medicine but I am wondering if anyone has any tips on deciding which one to do. I don't want to go to uni and study medicine and then decide I don't want to do medicine because then id of wasted all that time and money but similarly I don't want to become a teacher and then regret not doing medicine so I don't know what to do, please help. Thank you and also sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Hi Jen. One thing to consider if you want to study medicine at university, the deadline for applications this year has passed so you would need to wait a year for your application to be fairly considered. It's a good idea to get experience working in both to see which you think would suit you best (some of my friends arranged work experience in a hospital fairly easily). Good luck!
Original post by james813
Hi Jen. One thing to consider if you want to study medicine at university, the deadline for applications this year has passed so you would need to wait a year for your application to be fairly considered. It's a good idea to get experience working in both to see which you think would suit you best (some of my friends arranged work experience in a hospital fairly easily). Good luck!

OP is in year 12 so wouldn't be applying this year anyway.
Original post by jelly1000
OP is in year 12 so wouldn't be applying this year anyway.

Good point, I misinterpreted 'have taken all my a levels'. :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending