The Student Room Group

Additional science

my passion is to do a medicine degree but I can't do that unless I take A-level chemistry.
However I can't take A-level chemistry unless I do additional science, which I don't do... however I spoke to my science teacher and I am really good at core science, sciences come naturally to me they are my strongest subjects and he thinks if I start now I will pass additional science but it will be really hard work do you think doing a two year course in 6 months will be too much? my science teacher says I can and he's really confident about it but I don't know if it will be worth it as I have huge doubts I still won't pass.
but my only life aspiration is to do a medicine degree and this is the only way it was never made clear to me I couldn't get their with only core since 2 years ago when I choose my options
What kind of school lets you do core science without additional?
I would contact the places you want to take A-levels at, and see if they will accept you with some alternative like very high science/maths grades with no additional science.
If you're good at science and you really feel passionate about it, you might be able to just about do it, but I wouldn't expect to get high grades from studying in such a short amount of time. At my school, we did additional science in about 6 months but that was having 9h of science every 2 weeks, and unless your school is very accepting I doubt they will be able to provide a teacher just for you to study this, so you will probably have to do much of it on your own and it will be harder. This would look good on your university application though, if you can say that you persevered through this with your passion for science and medicine.
If they say no, and you don't want to take the additional science in 6 months, you might be able to get onto a foundation course without chemistry, where you study an extra year at university.to make up for not having chemistry. An example is here. This would probably mean you would have to study things like maths or humanities at a level.
Reply 2
Original post by AliceGeorgia
my passion is to do a medicine degree but I can't do that unless I take A-level chemistry.
However I can't take A-level chemistry unless I do additional science, which I don't do... however I spoke to my science teacher and I am really good at core science, sciences come naturally to me they are my strongest subjects and he thinks if I start now I will pass additional science but it will be really hard work do you think doing a two year course in 6 months will be too much? my science teacher says I can and he's really confident about it but I don't know if it will be worth it as I have huge doubts I still won't pass.
but my only life aspiration is to do a medicine degree and this is the only way it was never made clear to me I couldn't get their with only core since 2 years ago when I choose my options

I thought all schools do core and additional science and some do separate although not all. Your school should know that to do A level Science which many would aspire to do you need a minimum of core and additional science. I. If you want to do A level Science you need to do it or sorry to say you won't get in anywhere for A level Chemistry.

I think you can manage additional science in six months. I did core in year 10 and then additional and separate which is an extra module for each science in 8 months so I completed the entire course for additional in about 4 months September to January and then we did the separate science Modules February to May which was another 4 months.

The additional course can be done if you start now and I am assuming you have done core in year 10. I suggest for Medicine you take Chemistry and Biology not because it's necessary but because most Med applicants have it as it relates directly to the Med and good to have to boost your application. I am sure you can get the additional completed as the course is pretty easy wait till you get to A level the Sciences turn an absolute nightmare.

Quick Reply

Latest