The Student Room Group

M1 maths q

A small parcel of mass 2 kg moves on a rough plane inclined at an angle of 30 to the

horizontal. The parcel is pulled up a line of greatest slope of the plane by means of a light rope

which is attached to it. The rope makes an angle of 30 with the plane, as shown in the diagram

above. The coefficient of friction between the parcel and the plane is 0.4.

Given that the tension in the rope is 24 N,

(a) find, to 2 significant figures, the acceleration of the parcel.

(8)

The rope now breaks. The parcel slows down and comes to rest.

(b) Show that, when the parcel comes to this position of rest, it immediately starts to move

down the plane again.

(4)

(c) Find, to 2 significant figures, the acceleration of the parcel as it moves down the plane

after it has come to this position of instantaneous rest.
Reply 1
Lets have a specific question. What have you tried.
Reply 2
Original post by nerak99
Lets have a specific question. What have you tried.

I tried to find out the force opposite moving down the plane but got a weird answer and wasnt sure how to find acceleration? do i use suvat and which equation? i had no clue how to show that the parcel come to rest do i use suvat again or?
Reply 3
Original post by sophiahello
I tried to find out the force opposite moving down the plane but got a weird answer and wasnt sure how to find acceleration? do i use suvat and which equation? i had no clue how to show that the parcel come to rest do i use suvat again or?

I always find that drawing a diagram of forces helps. Include the weight, reaction force, friction and tension. Equate forces acting parallel and perpendicular to the slope, and don't forget the life saving equation F=ma.
Reply 4
Original post by aadil10
I always find that drawing a diagram of forces helps. Include the weight, reaction force, friction and tension. Equate forces acting parallel and perpendicular to the slope, and don't forget the life saving equation F=ma.

i was given a diagram :smile: i just dont know how to find the downward force acting down the slope
Reply 5
i was given a diagram :smile: i just dont know how to find the downward force acting down the slope

Out of the 4 forces I mentioned, which ones act parallel to the slope?
Reply 6
Original post by aadil10
Out of the 4 forces I mentioned, which ones act parallel to the slope?

friction is the only one i think
Reply 7
If there is force or energy involved then it is not suvat. suvat says nothing about Forces. Once you have a you can then use it in suvat provided a is constant.

This is Forces and F=ma

The diagram is missing but from my reading of the Q. The normal reaction is 2g Cos 30 - 24 Cos 60 and hence the friction is 0.4 X (2g Cos 30-12)=2

Up the slope is component of 24 N. Down the slope you have friction and weight. Use F=ma to get a

Resolving parallel to slope you have 24 Cos 30 (force up slope) - (the component of weight down the slope (2g Sin 30 or 2g Cos 60) plus the friction)=ma

24cos 30 - (2g X 0.5 + 2) = 2a. Solve that for a. I get 4.49

Having got a sorted out, how do you get on with the rest.

When the rope breaks the 24N component goes but everything else is the same.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
friction is the only one i think

Friction is correct but it's not the only answer. Remember, forces always come in pairs. Draw arrows showing the direction each force is acting. Any that aren't perpendicular to the slope are still contributing to the parallel.
Reply 9
Original post by nerak99
If there is force or energy involved then it is not suvat.

This is Forces and F=ma

The diagram is missing but from my reading of the Q. The normal reaction is 2g Cos 30 and hence the friction is 0.4 X 2g Cos 30

Up the slope is component of 24 N. Down the slope you have friction and weight. Use F=ma to get a

Resolving parallel to slope you have 24 Cos 30 (force up slope) - (the component of weight down the slope (2g Sin 30 or 2g Cos 60) plus the friction)=ma

24cos 30 - (2g X 0.5 + 0.4 X 2g Cos 30) = 2a. Solve that for a. I get 2.089

Having got a sorted out, how do you get on with the rest

telling someone the answer doesn't really help them to understand how to solve the problem.
Original post by aadil10
telling someone the answer doesn't really help them to understand how to solve the problem.

Starting them off does when they are stuck. You don't have to say anything if you have nothing constructive to say and if you have an issue then DM me.
Original post by aadil10
Friction is correct but it's not the only answer. Remember, forces always come in pairs. Draw arrows showing the direction each force is acting. Any that aren't perpendicular to the slope are still contributing to the parallel.

so also the one that is F but im not sure what its called just the force?

Saying "Forces always come in pairs" is (a) Not true and (b) not really helpful.

Correct, that force would be tension. But we also have a 3rd force, weight. (For any slope, weight will act both horizontally and vertically).

So now you have to add/subtract the three forces to find the resultant force and equate it to 'ma' (using F=ma). Think about which way the 3 forces are acting.
Original post by nerak99
Saying "Forces always come in pairs" is (a) Not true and (b) not really helpful.

Are you sure you studied mechanics? Newton's 3rd Law. Action-Reaction....
Original post by aadil10
Are you sure you studied mechanics? Newton's 3rd Law. Action-Reaction....

I have a degree in Physics and a MSc in Fluid Dynamics.
Original post by nerak99
I have a degree in Physics and a MSc in Fluid Dynamics.

That explains it. This is M1, not a physics degree. No need to complicate a standard mechanics question.
Original post by aadil10
That explains it. This is M1, not a physics degree. No need to complicate a standard mechanics question.

I have sent you a DM.
Arguing in the forum in the middle of a question answer is neither polite nor cool. You can put your point in a message.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending