The Student Room Group

Have you ever spent Christmas away from your family?

Me and my partner have been offered to stay with our friends for Christmas this year. They live in England and we are in Scotland so we would have to travel a bit to get there. My family say they would be fine with us going and we can do something with them for new year instead and my mum is more than happy to watch my cats for me but I don't know, I just feel a bit weird not spending Christmas with them :dontknow: I've been to my partner's dad's house for Christmas a couple of times but always saw my family on Christmas night and vice versa if we went to my mum's that year.

I still have a wee while to decide and there are pros and cons to staying or leaving for Christmas.

Have any of you ever spent Christmas away from home?
I haven't actually yet, josh has tagged along with me the past two years. We re not 100% what we ll be doing this year yet, my little sister is only 7 so ideally we d go again this year as she d be pretty sad if I couldn't go. I think if you spend Christmas with friends then see family later in the week that's a good compromise :smile:
I haven't but my uncle has.

About 3 years ago, 4 weeks before Christmas, my family, me, my uncle and my 2 cousins all went Ice skating. My Uncle decided to teach my brother and my youngest cousin how to ice skate as it was their first time. He was very confident and thought nothing would go wrong.
As he stepped out onto the ice, a young man came whizzing round the bend and bashed into him and knocked my uncle flying. He hit his head on the ice, knocked himself unconsious and later found out that he had broken his right arm in 3 different places. He was in a coma for about month and had to have an operation on his arm. He was in hospital for around 3 months and the doctors said he was so lucky to be alive. My family and I were all due to go round to his for christmas day, but because of this accident, we all spent Christmas at home. It was heartbreaking for my uncle, spending christmas in hospital and christmas for me was spent up in my room crying and thinking about him.

If i was you i'd spend christmas and new year with your family and then go and see your friends. In my opinion and following what happened to my uncle I feel that family always will come first because you never know how long you've got with anyone.
This Christmas will be the first time away. Ive lived away from my parents since I was 19 but always went back for Christmas. I will be overseas until 10th Jan because of my job so that includes an xmas in Spain! I'm excited to experience something different , but it will be weird I must admit
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I haven't actually yet, josh has tagged along with me the past two years. We re not 100% what we ll be doing this year yet, my little sister is only 7 so ideally we d go again this year as she d be pretty sad if I couldn't go. I think if you spend Christmas with friends then see family later in the week that's a good compromise :smile:

Usually we would spend it at my mum's and then go to Callan's dad's at night or boxing day but recently, my stepdad started on me and Callan and we haven't spoken since. It wasn't a little bust up, it was quite serious and the police nearly got involved so I've not been over to my mum's since, I just meet her in town now. She says we are more than welcome to still come for Christmas but none of us want to now since my stepdad will be there but then again, I don't want to miss spending Christmas with my grandparents and they will be there at my mum's this year. Hence why my friend offered to have us this year, because of that huge fight :/ My mum has even said my stepdad shouldn't be at the wedding, so it was quite a serious argument :frown:

My choices are - go to my mum's despite him being there, go to Callan's dad's, spend Christmas just with Callan and the cats at the flat or go to my friend's. Each option has their pros and cons and I'm grateful I have a choice when some people are sadly alone at Christmas. I'm just trying to find the option that works well in terms of what is less hassle, what is more enjoyable and one I won't regret. Have to make a choice soon so people know what's happening :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I have only spent a single Christmas at home since I moved out. My first Christmas after moving out, my Dad was very sick and my Mum asked me to come home. Since then my fiance and I have had Christmas by ourselves. it's nice just the two of us, quiet, no annoying relatives, no stress. I have suggested we go down to my Mum's for Christmas but my fiance says if we go to my Mum's we will be expected to go to his the following year and he doesn't want to do that. I usually work Christmas eve anyway so it makes travelling awkward. We like Christmas buy ourselves.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Usually we would spend it at my mum's and then go to Callan's dad's at night or boxing day but recently, my stepdad started on me and Callan and we haven't spoken since. It wasn't a little bust up, it was quite serious and the police nearly got involved so I've not been over to my mum's since, I just meet her in town now. She says we are more than welcome to still come for Christmas but none of us want to now since my stepdad will be there but then again, I don't want to miss spending Christmas with my grandparents and they will be there at my mum's this year. Hence why my friend offered to have us this year, because of that huge fight :/ My mum has even said my stepdad shouldn't be at the wedding, so it was quite a serious argument :frown:

My choices are - go to my mum's despite him being there, go to Callan's dad's, spend Christmas just with Callan and the cats at the flat or go to my friend's. Each option has their pros and cons and I'm grateful I have a choice when some people are sadly alone at Christmas. I'm just trying to find the option that works well in terms of what is less hassle, what is more enjoyable and one I won't regret. Have to make a choice soon so people know what's happening :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spending it with friends or just with Callan sounds like the best ideas, I think that's much less hassle than the alternatives. It's understandable you don't want to be near your step dad let alone at Christmas, you want it to be a happy day not an awkward one. I m sure you could find a way to see your grandparents and mum some other time close to Christmas.
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
Spending it with friends or just with Callan sounds like the best ideas, I think that's much less hassle than the alternatives. It's understandable you don't want to be near your step dad let alone at Christmas, you want it to be a happy day not an awkward one. I m sure you could find a way to see your grandparents and mum some other time close to Christmas.

I'm meeting my mum and gran today to discuss what should be done for Christmas so will hopefully know for sure what's happening by the end of today but the ball is in my court. Thinking of putting up my Christmas tree tonight to try and get myself into a festive mood :tongue: since I'm not really feeling Christmassy this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
I'm meeting my mum and gran today to discuss what should be done for Christmas so will hopefully know for sure what's happening by the end of today but the ball is in my court. Thinking of putting up my Christmas tree tonight to try and get myself into a festive mood :tongue: since I'm not really feeling Christmassy this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a good plan :smile: If i m wholy honest i only do christmas for my fiance and family but a christmas tree and a mince pie does help a christmassy mood
Nope. I have to say it would be weird for me too... I've been with my partner 6 years and we'll be doing Christmas apart as per usual. Sounds weird but neither of us get home much so don't want to give up a chance to see family and our families are too far apart to see both.
Reply 10
Decided just to go over to my mum's for Christmas day, despite the disagreement with my stepdad. After what has happened with my papa the last couple of days with yet another transplant falling through, it's important to spend as much time together as we can.

I'm going down to England to visit my friend next week for a week and have an early Xmas with her though :smile: it'll be nice to get away and probably just what I need after the last couple of days :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest