The Student Room Group

Second degree and over 25?

Hi,

Just wondering if someone can answer these questions, I'm looking at applying for a health related degree such as a nursing to gain better career prospects. However this will be my second degree and I will be over 25:

1. To my understanding allied health degrees such as nursing are treated differently i.e. loans are given and treated in the same way as a first undergraduate degree loan- is this correct?

2. Am I still classified as an independent student as I'm over 25?

3. If they are funded the same as a first degree, am I entitled to maintenance loans and bursaries?

4. I may or may not be living at home, does this affect these loans or am I still treated as an independent student (as in my parents income would not be taken into account and my loans would be treated as I live outside of the family home?)

All the information out there has really confused me! thank you for your help
Original post by Geo21
Hi,

Just wondering if someone can answer these questions, I'm looking at applying for a health related degree such as a nursing to gain better career prospects. However this will be my second degree and I will be over 25:

1. To my understanding allied health degrees such as nursing are treated differently i.e. loans are given and treated in the same way as a first undergraduate degree loan- is this correct?

3. If they are funded the same as a first degree, am I entitled to maintenance loans and bursaries?

4. I may or may not be living at home, does this affect these loans or am I still treated as an independent student (as in my parents income would not be taken into account and my loans would be treated as I live outside of the family home?)

All the information out there has really confused me! thank you for your help

At over 25 you will be recognised as an independent student and you will get student loans for tuition fees and maintainance. Living at home may affect your loan as it's considered cheaper than living at university however they won't take into account your parents income.
Reply 2
Original post by Geo21

Yes. Check the small print on the course you're applying for and/or double-check with your prospective uni, that your course is eligible for second degree funding.

Yes.

Yes, with the proviso that NHS bursaries are being scrapped for those who start courses on or after 1 August 2017. More info here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=22059-nursing-applying-for-an-nhs-bursary-and-student-finance

You are treated as an independent student. Your parents' income is not taken into consideration. You *are* deemed to be "Living at home" though (as you would be if you were living in your own home and not moving into student accommodation). It will give you a few hundred pounds a year less in your Maintenance Loan.
Reply 3
Thank you for your help! it's a little bit hard to understand it all.

I have two more questions:
If it would be treated as a first degree, does this mean you are allowed the full 4 years? Im concerned about the difficulty associated with these degrees and if I have to resit a year or maybe even choose a different a direction in health care.

Sheffield Hallam does a 2 year MSc nursing course, Im not sure if this brackets under this or not because it is MSc yet it is a health care. Does this mean it's funded in a similar way to the second undergraduate or as the maximum £10,000 for postgraduate study?

Thanks again!
Original post by Geo21
Thank you for your help! it's a little bit hard to understand it all.

I have two more questions:
If it would be treated as a first degree, does this mean you are allowed the full 4 years? Im concerned about the difficulty associated with these degrees and if I have to resit a year or maybe even choose a different a direction in health care.

Sheffield Hallam does a 2 year MSc nursing course, Im not sure if this brackets under this or not because it is MSc yet it is a health care. Does this mean it's funded in a similar way to the second undergraduate or as the maximum £10,000 for postgraduate study?

Thanks again!

They haven't specifically stated what the rule for msc's will be yet so i can't answer that question. I dont think they'll allow gift years for second degrees but i could be wrong on that one, if you wanted to switch degree i dont think they would allow you more funding unless you'd only done a term or something. When it comes to health care degrees if i correctly understand they would let you step off and take a break if a problem arose rather than leave things.
A couple of months ago, I applied for Adult Nursing 2017 entry for both BSc (3 years) and PGDip (2 years) - having had a previous Degree. I got into all of my choices and I am going to start the BSc Adult Nursing Degree in Febuary 2017. There are some universities that are still NHS Funded - BSc bursary stops Summer 2017 onwards and PGDip bursary stops Summer 2018 onwards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending