The Student Room Group

Alleycat393's food blog!

Hi everyone,

I love to cook and eat and am a bit of an experimental cook as well. I'm also trying to get into shape a bit in time for my wedding in a year's time. I started off counting calories and realised that I wasn't eating well and missed good food. I also realised that carbs are my weakness. So now I'm on a high protein low cab diet, trying to eat well and look after myself as well.

With this blog I hope to share what I'm eating, inspire others with recipe/meal ideas, get some recipe/meal ideas myself and share some of my food adventures :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alleycat393
Hi everyone,

I love to cook and eat and am a bit of an experimental cook as well. I'm also trying to get into shape a bit in time for my wedding in a year's time. I started off counting calories and realised that I wasn't eating well and missed good food. I also realised that carbs are my weakness. So now I'm on a high protein low cab diet, trying to eat well and look after myself as well.

With this blog I hope to share what I'm eating, inspire others with recipe/meal ideas, get some recipe/meal ideas myself and share some of my food adventures :smile:

No carbs before Marbs :smile:
Good luck, hope you have fun and stay healthy.
So the weekend just gone I spent some time preparing my lunches and baking for my choir.

I made a lemon drizzle cake following a community recipe from Nigella's website. I found that I needed 50g instead of 113g of sugar for the icing though. I had a taste and it's yum! The last time I tried this with the suggested amount of sugar the icing was clumpy and too sugary.

For my weekday lunches I stuck some bacon lardons, mushrooms and 2 beaten eggs with some parsley into a pan and stir fried it.

Finally, for Monday's dinner I made chicken tikka masala in my slow cooker (which I absolutely love!). I find that using chicken on the bone means it's super moist and not dry. I marinate the chicken a day in advance to let all that flavour and the yogurt soak in and tenderise the chicken. I cook my rice in the leftover liquid from the slow cooker to keep that flavour in the dish as well. Yum!
So tonight is curry night in my home which my fiance makes. It's just Homepride curry sauce with chicken so nothing special.

I also made my next round of lunches which is beef and baked bean chilli. My fiance doesn't like the texture of tomatoes and doesn't like the taste of them too much either which makes my life as cook a bit difficult. So I found this bruschetta mix which is essentially dried tomatoes and herbs and I use two tablespoons as a substitute for a 400g can of tinned tomatoes and it tastes yum!
The mix can also be mixed with oil to make a great pizza base ( we love homemade pizza!) or put on slices of French baguette with some mozzarella and grilled :smile:
If you're following a low carb diet and have the munchies at about 4pm (like I do), can I recommend that cheap wafer thin ham you get: Waitrose essentials do a honey roast version. It's quite satisfying. I also find tinned mackerel in various sauces (spicy tomato is quite nice) is good for satiating hunger, and is of course very good for you. A propos, I also use cottage cheese and rollmops, though I know the latter isn't to everyone's taste!
I've got a horrible cold this week so have been taking the easy way out food wise and trying not to infect my partner. I also can't taste anything so there isn't much point in putting in the effort!

We've been eating these things which are yummy and so easy to do. We've tried all of them except the Mediterranean tomato one and apart from the BBQ chicken which I don't much care for they're all yum. The instructions say that just frying the chicken breasts cooks them but the chicken breasts I buy from our local butcher are MASSIVE so I fry them initially to pick up the flavour from the parchment and then oven bake to finish. The breasts remain lovely and moist and full of flavour.
IMG_3208.jpgLast night's dinner: sage, chicken and sausage one pot. I just stuck some mustard, sage, shallots, garlic and lemon juice in a bowl and marinated my chicken in it. Then stuck everything in the oven for an hour. You may notice the sweet potato in there as well. It is one of your 5 a day and is a great way to get your fix of carbs without eating pots which aren't one of your 5 a day.
My slow cooker has made an appearance again today for our dinner on Sunday. The base of my dish is shallots, carrots, white wine, rosemary (from my parents in law's garden!), lemon juice and garlic.
IMG_3218.jpg
I browned the lamb in some butter and topped the base with it. I then topped the whole thing up with water to just cover the meat without making the dish too watery.
Attachment not found

I have a timer on my slow cooker and only ever use the low setting. This means that the food gets cooked slowly at a low temperature and the cooker just switches itself off after the required amount of time so I can sort it out when I get home.
Attachment not found
My lunches this week are very seafood-y. I buy frozen prawns and salmon in bulk (from CostCo but Iceland and supermarket frozen aisles are great too). I had some creme fraiche in my fridge which I bought and forgot about so just stuck some shallots, garlic and creme fraiche in a pan and let my salmon and prawns cook in it. I also added some parsley. Yum! I'm eating it by itself because of my low carb diet but it can be eaten with pasta. The creme fraiche was a substitute for double cream in the recipe (healthier!).

Just a quick note about shallots: I used to use onions but my partner finds them too strong. He can smell the onions from the time he opens the door even if I've finished cooking with them!
So Tuesday nights are Homepride curry nights but I'm a bit fed up of the curry so have turned Tuesday nights into just ready made sauces nights. This week I tried Lloyd Grossman's tomato and mushroom pasta sauce with prawns but no pasta. Has anyone ever watched 'Eat well for less' hosted by Greg Wallace on the BBC? I can literally see him shaking his head at the ready made sauces but it's nice to have a break from cooking once in a while :smile:

Anyway, the sauce was meh but I'm gonna try a load of different ones in the upcoming weeks so I'm looking forward to that.
My version of paella! I love eating paella from a street food market on a cold autumn day and here is my homemade version.

The base is shallots, garlic, turmeric, paprika and saffron. The rice just cooks in that base in some chicken stock. I top it off with any combination of chorizo, sausage meat, bacon lardons, fish or prawns depending on what's in my fridge. I love the smell of cooking long grain rice as it reminds me of my childhood in India (Indians love rice!) :smile:

Today I just had some salmon. My partner's food tastes are boring so he just gets chicken!

image1.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Another one of my favourites: brownies! They make a great present as well and we're off to a friend's son's birthday party tomorrow (he's all of 2 years old but I'm sure his parents will appreciate the present, he on the other hand gets a nice noisy toy!). This is the recipe I use after trying loads of different ones. I like my brownies slightly squidgy in the middle so once they're cool I stick them in the fridge to firm up a bit and then microwave them slightly to get that squidge back when I eat them. Very pleased with the glossy, cracked surface :smile:

image1[1].jpg

Attachment not found
So I've spent the morning doing some cooking! My lamb shanks have gone into the slow cooker which I'm really looking forward to as I love lamb. I dredged the shanks in flour and browned them in a pan. Then I made my base of shallots a chicken stock cube and white wine which I allowed to reduce to burn off the alcohol (wine is yum but in food it can taste bitter if just added as is). Then everything went into the slow cooker with some rosemary and bay leaves. Again I've topped up the liquid in the cooker to cover most of the meat and it all cooks for 8h.

Next, lunches. I've made meatballs by removing the skin from some sausages and rolling them into balls. The meatballs are then just simmered with some shallots and bruschetta mix in baked beans and a bit of water.

IMG_3298.jpg

Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
We had steaks for dinner last night :smile:

My favourite cut is sirloin because it's got some fat and marbling which gives it some amazing flavour. My other half likes fillets and rump steak so we try and alternate. Yesterday we had fillets which need to be watched super carefully so that they don't overcook as there's little to no fat on them. I first let them come to room temperature for about an hour. Then I fry with salt and pepper in some oil on a very high heat to seal and brown the meat and then finish with some butter and rosemary/thyme/parsley. I then let them rest for 10-15min.
My latest slow cooker invention was a beef chilli. The base was shallots, garlic, cumin, chilli, beer and bruschetta mix. Then into the slow cooker for a yummy smelling and tasting meal.

I also made some interesting lunches which I haven't tasted yet but which smell yum!
Tuna, shallots, mushrooms, cream of mushroom soup all mixed together and topped with bread crumbs and cheddar. This was all baked till the cheese was lovely and melty. I can't wait to get into this casserole which can also be served with pasta.
I tried Patak's butter chicken sauce today and boy was it yum. It really took me back to eating it at home in India and I haven't been able to find it in your typical Indian takeaway. I had it with chicken today but will probably try it with paneer next time just to mix it up :smile:
Happy New Year everyone! I'm going to try and get this going again but these first few weeks back at work are always manic with new projects and students starting and lots to catch up on.

I tried Patak's oven baked briyani sauce this week but used paneer instead of chicken and added some spinach. This is Tuesday's dinner so I haven't eaten it yet but I had a sneaky taste and it was ok. The flavours are ok to start with but then you taste the peppers which I generally don't like and which have no real place in a briyani anyway. I'm not sure I'll be buying this one again.
I'm just going to post up my Christmas menu coz it was yum and I was so pleased with it :smile: I cooked for my mum, fiance and his parents this Christmas so it was 5 of us.

Starters: stuffed mushrooms (Portobello mushrooms and the stuffing had shallots, garlic, breadcrumbs, sage, bacon and cheese); chicken goujons (strips of chicken breadcrumbed and baked, the breadcrumb mix had sage, oregano and cayenne pepper)

Turkey: salt, pepper and rosemary rub to crisp up the skin, cavity stuffed with shallots, garlic, rosemary and lemon halves, I create a cavity under the skin over the breasts and stuff that with a bacon and honey butter for extra flavour and to keep the breast meat moist.

I also did pigs in blankets (nothing special, just sausages wrapped in bacon), veg and homemade roasties :smile:

For pudding there were brownies and homemade mince pies (a bit leaky but yummy!) with ice cream or cream.
So what have I been cooking this week...? A couple of bits and bobs but nothing special or complicated. All yum though :smile:

Tandoori roast chicken which I marinated using this recipe for 24h. The skin comes out looking a bit burnt but it's lovely and crispy, perfectly edible and keeps the chicken underneath moist. The black colour comes from the yogurt being exposed to such intense heat in the oven.

I did a chicken and sausage dish for which I took the sausages out of their skins and turned them into meatballs. I then browned the chicken and meatballs with some shallots, garlic, added white wine and let it simmer down and then added some stock and thyme and allowed the chicken to cook with the lid on.

I did some honey mustard chicken in my slow cooker which was chicken quarters (I like the leg and thigh bit) marinated in honey and herby mustard and then cooked low and slow for 7 hours with parsley and chicken stock. I browned the chicken before putting it in the slow cooker.

My partner and I both enjoy going to Nandos but eating out on a regular basis can get expensive so we bought Nandos marinade to cook with at home which is a great investment!

Finally, my lunches this week are fish cakes (I made mince versions for my partner) which I did by making balls of salmon, mashed potato and sausage meat rolled in beaten eggs and breadcrumbs and frying them. With the mince versions I cooked the mince with turmeric, cinnamon and cumin before adding the mash, rolling and frying. I might try baking them next time though I fry with very little vegetable oil so it can't be that bad.

Right, all this food talk is making me hungry and it's a long while before I get my dinner.

Feel free to let me know if you'd like more detailed recipes of anything I've posted about :smile: I'll try and put up some more pictures soon...
I made some spinach and paneer for lunches but I don't have a photograph. This is a lovely creamy vegetarian dish and a childhood favorite. It's packed with protein and iron and is low fat. The recipe is here and it's fairly straightforward and easy to do if you have a blender.

However, I promised photos and found some of the chocolate making session I did with my mum and partner just before New Year's. We got to taste loads of chocolate and make some of your own at Hotel Chocolat in Covent Garden. The picture with the mortar and pestle is of the coco nibs we had to grind into a paste with coco butter and tempered chocolate to make our chocolate.

chocolate.jpg

Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest