The Student Room Group

Do I need to be in my school's "Oxbridge high flyers" programme?

So my College has a HE+ programme for high flyers who have five or more A* at GCSE's which I haven't been able to join however I am joining The Oxbridge Course. I was just wondering whether me not doing that course will pull me back anyway for example on a personal statement? Or any vital skills they learn on that course? If so, suggestions would be able appreciated on how I can make up for these! Thankyou!
Reply 1
Original post by TheNerdxP
So my College has a HE+ programme for high flyers who have five or more A* at GCSE's which I haven't been able to join however I am joining The Oxbridge Course. I was just wondering whether me not doing that course will pull me back anyway for example on a personal statement? Or any vital skills they learn on that course? If so, suggestions would be able appreciated on how I can make up for these! Thankyou!

Many (most?) applicants aren't on any specific Oxbridge/high achiever programs.

When you say you are joining "The Oxbridge Course" what does it entail, and does it cost you any money?

And keep in mind this TSR forum is probably the best Oxbridge resource around...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
Many (most?) applicants aren't on any specific Oxbridge/high achiever programs.

When you say you are joining "The Oxbridge Course" what does it entail, and does it cost you any money?

And keep in mind this TSR forum is probably the best Oxbridge resource around...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good to hear, perhaps it's just my College then since they want to push students. It doesn't cost me any money, it's just going to be a programme that allows you to practice and therefore have a better chance of getting into Oxbridge. The HE+ programme I think is more about actual courses at University but they was talking a lot about Oxbridge so therefore I was wondering if I would be hindered by not doing it.
Reply 3
That's good to hear, perhaps it's just my College then since they want to push students. It doesn't cost me any money, it's just going to be a programme that allows you to practice and therefore have a better chance of getting into Oxbridge. The HE+ programme I think is more about actual courses at University but they was talking a lot about Oxbridge so therefore I was wondering if I would be hindered by not doing it.

You won't be hindered - dw. :smile:

As jneill says, you certainly won't be hindered in an application to Oxbridge by not going on a course like this. If it's free and it practices things like talking about your subject/interests cogently, learning how to answer a question posed verbally in a structured and focussed way then by all means go for it - these are skills which are going to stand you in good stead regardless. Just don't think that there's some magic course or something which has the 'key' to a successful Oxbridge entry - they don't exist (though some people have got rich trying to hoodwink people into thinking they do!)
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
As jneill says, you certainly won't be hindered in an application to Oxbridge by not going on a course like this. If it's free and it practices things like talking about your subject/interests cogently, learning how to answer a question posed verbally in a structured and focussed way then by all means go for it - these are skills which are going to stand you in good stead regardless. Just don't think that there's some magic course or something which has the 'key' to a successful Oxbridge entry - they don't exist (though some people have got rich trying to hoodwink people into thinking they do!)

Thankyou! I suppose when you're trying to aim high you start to overthink everything. I'm determined to show that I'm a well rounded student- but so many different people tell me different things in order to show how I should show this, I've gotten confused with extra stuff I should do before sending off my application such as extra reading and work experience. Have you got any suggestions?
Thankyou! I suppose when you're trying to aim high you start to overthink everything. I'm determined to show that I'm a well rounded student- but so many different people tell me different things in order to show how I should show this, I've gotten confused with extra stuff I should do before sending off my application such as extra reading and work experience. Have you got any suggestions?

I think most importantly you need to show in your application that you're passionate about your subject. Not in a mechanistic, coached way, but in a very real sense - what is it about your chosen field that excites you? Do you keep up to date with developments? How do you want to develop your learning.

Being 'well rounded ' is important, too. There's no shortage of students with A*s across the board, but to succeed at that level you need more than that. You need to show that you have interests outside your academic studies, be they games, music, leadership in cadets or scouts or something - things which show you have an appreciation of the wider world. Finally, try to be authentic - too many PS seem to read like variations on a them, with the same tropes trotted out in a vain attempt to 'pleasure' the Admission's Tutor. Try to show a bit of you in your writing.

Does this help?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7

I think most importantly you need to show in your application that you're passionate about your subject. Not in a mechanistic, coached way, but in a very real sense - what is it about your chosen field that excites you? Do you keep up to date with developments? How do you want to develop your learning.

Being 'well rounded ' is important, too. There's no shortage of students with A*s across the board, but to succeed at that level you need more than that. You need to show that you have interests outside your academic studies, be they games, music, leadership in cadets or scouts or something - things which show you have an appreciation of the wider world. Finally, try to be authentic - too many PS seem to read like variations on a them, with the same tropes trotted out in a vain attempt to 'pleasure' the Admission's Tutor. Try to show a bit of you in your writing.

Does this help?

First para is spot-on. :smile:

But, Oxbridge is really only interested in the academics and the passion candidates have for the subject/course. They aren't actually looking for candidates to be well-rounded at all, although other universities may well be. :smile:

OP, I presume you are starting your A-levels at the moment. Focus on those, and potentially super-curriculars (i.e. extra things that are directly relevant to your subject). And for sure, do other things too if they interest you, but not to impress Oxbridge. You don't need to be head girl/boy, captain of swimming/rugby/rowing or anything.
Original post by jneill

But, Oxbridge is really only interested in the academics and the passion candidates have for the subject/course. They aren't actually looking for candidates to be well-rounded at all, although other universities may well be. :smile:

OP, I presume you are starting your A-levels at the moment. Focus on those, and potentially super-curriculars (i.e. extra things that are directly relevant to your subject). And for sure, do other things too if they interest you, but not to impress Oxbridge. You don't need to be head girl/boy, captain of swimming/rugby/rowing or anything.

This.

Which subject area are you considering? Try to go beyond what you need to do for 'A' level. Play with your subject and tackle questions that you initially have no idea how to do. Oxbridge looks for people that can think and really understand - sounds simple, but can be surprisingly difficult.
Reply 9

Does this help?

It certainly does! I think it's from these reasons what really got me interested in Cambridge. I was debating whether to concentrate on super-cirrcular activities or extracurricular. I'm interested in doing Law and was wondering if there's a variety of things that could make me stand out as most have gone to a law firm etc.
Reply 10
Original post by RogerOxon
This.

Which subject area are you considering? Try to go beyond what you need to do for 'A' level. Play with your subject and tackle questions that you initially have no idea how to do. Oxbridge looks for people that can think and really understand - sounds simple, but can be surprisingly difficult.

I want to do Law, I'll try and do that! I'm just trying to do some research into what kinds of questions they'll be since I don't do Law at A-Level.
Reply 11
Original post by jneill

I'm just wondering which extra things are worth doing. For Law I'm aware of extra reading, law firms etc but they're not really things that stick out? Or am I missing a large portion of them out?
It certainly does! I think it's from these reasons what really got me interested in Cambridge. I was debating whether to concentrate on super-cirrcular activities or extracurricular. I'm interested in doing Law and was wondering if there's a variety of things that could make me stand out as most have gone to a law firm etc.

As usual, @jneill and @RogerOxon have given you excellent advice. I personally think that some extra-curricular activities give you a much-needed outlet and, frankly, break from the bloody hard work that's required to get those necessary grades. But it is right to say that academic prowess is valued more than other things.

Don't fret unduly if you haven't been to a Law Firm - I didn't, and I was accepted for Law. Do you get The Times for the Law pages? What activities have you done to show your passion for Law?
(edited 7 years ago)
I want to do Law, I'll try and do that! I'm just trying to do some research into what kinds of questions they'll be since I don't do Law at A-Level.

Have a look here (if you haven't already) - there's a video of a mock interview. IIRC, for Oxford, you also need to take the Law National Admissions Test - there are past papers and more here.
Reply 14
I personally think that some extra-curricular activities give you a much-needed outlet and, frankly, break from the bloody hard work that's required to get those necessary grades.

I definitely don't disagree with that :smile:

And the budding lawyer should listen to you too :smile:
No, don't worry. I wasn't part of the A*/A grade A2 Chemistry group for people who had done well at AS but I was one of 3 people at my school to get A* in chemistry. I'm sure you won't be missing out
Reply 16
I'm just wondering which extra things are worth doing. For Law I'm aware of extra reading, law firms etc but they're not really things that stick out? Or am I missing a large portion of them out?

Cambridge Law Test info
http://ba.law.cam.ac.uk/applying/cambridge_law_test/

And the rest of the faculty web site is useful too:
http://ba.law.cam.ac.uk/welcome/

But honestly, don't fret about this stuff too much yet. Plenty of time to do that in the coming months...
Reply 17

Oh, some other things to look at:

Cambridge subject masterclasses
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/masterclasses
(New dates are added frequently)

And their Shadowing Scheme
https://www.applytocambridge.com/shadowing/apply/
You need to hurry if you want to do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending