The Student Room Group

HC3 Cost of glasses explain??

I have a HC3 Certificate which says "for glasses or contact lenses you pay 79.10 towards a voucher" so what exactly does this mean?

For example if the total cost of my lenses/frames/coatings is a £130, exactly how much do I pay?

Is it only £79.10 or is it the costs of glasses minus the £79.10 (£130 - £79.10 = £50.90)?

Because when I went to the opticians and showed them my HC3 they said I would have to pay full price for my glasses (£130 ish), and is not because they don't accept the voucher. This doesn't really make sense because I thought that I would be able to get partial help because isn't that what the HC3 is for.

Can someone please explain this

Also on the back of the HC3 (part B) says "the value of your voucher will be reduced by the amount by box B which means what exactly?
Original post by EmmiB0408
I have a HC3 Certificate which says "for glasses or contact lenses you pay 79.10 towards a voucher" so what exactly does this mean?

For example if the total cost of my lenses/frames/coatings is a £130, exactly how much do I pay?

Is it only £79.10 or is it the costs of glasses minus the £79.10 (£130 - £79.10 = £50.90)?

Because when I went to the opticians and showed them my HC3 they said I would have to pay full price for my glasses (£130 ish), and is not because they don't accept the voucher. This doesn't really make sense because I thought that I would be able to get partial help because isn't that what the HC3 is for.

Also on the back of the HC3 (part B) says "the value of your voucher will be reduced by the amount by box B which means what exactly?

Just had a look at this and it's confused me too! Your best bet is to call them and ask again, or at a different opticians. I'm pretty sure it should give you some partial help but they're not something I have much (or really any) experience with. Sorry not to have been more help, hopefully someone else will reply with a better answer now I've bumped it for you!
Original post by EmmiB0408

The 'optical voucher' is the term they use for the value of your actual lenses, based on your optical prescription strength - basically, they have taken into account the fact that if you have a much stronger optical prescription, the cost of your lenses would be higher because they are more complicated/use more resources to make. They have 'vouchers' which are amounts linked to different ranges of lense strengths (so A is £39.10, B is £59.30 etc. They are described in full, complicated length here:
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/nhs-voucher-values.aspx )

Also, the HC3 only helps with the cost of the lenses, not the frames, so it doesn't matter what the full cost of your glasses is (for example, someone might decide they fancy a £500 pair of designer frames, but the NHS isn't going to fund that, because REALLY?!).

So if you have been assessed to contribute £79.10 towards your glasses, your optical prescription would have to show a lense strength that equalled more than that cost. Your optician is the only person who can confirm that for you. So you likely don't qualify for help. Sorry! :frown:
I don't understand this either I went to dentiste they said we don't except partial we only except the full certificate so how an I exactly supposed to be getting help them

Quick Reply

Latest