The Student Room Group

Should I go back?

Well, I was studying Medicine at University Of Manchester and I lasted 2 weeks. I absolutely hated the course and everything to do with it, I hated the idea of becoming a doctor and I got really depressed; Sleepless nights, anxiety attacks, lack of eating and eventually anti-depressants were prescribed by my GP. I have took an interruption for the year, meaning I could go back to medicine next September if I want to. I am unsure if I want to go back and if it is worth it? the long hours, the stressful lifestyle and the low pay compared to the hours dont appeal to me... yet it is still so difficult to completely shut out a degree as valuable as medicine. So do i go back?
If your only reason for going back would be that you don't want to let such an amazing opportunity to slip through your fingers, then my answer is that you absolutely should not go back. You would have a miserable life and what's the point in that, and if you're not motivated to learn and to improve yourself you're not going to be the doctor your patients deserve to have.

On the other hand, two weeks are not representative of the whole course, let alone the career of a doctor. How did you feel about medicine before you started university? It's probably worth thinking whether you just had a hard time adjusting to a new environment and whether the things you did during those two weeks simply were the parts of medicine you have zero interest in and your passions lie elsewhere.

Best of luck whatever you end up choosing :smile:
Original post by cureconfusion
Well, I was studying Medicine at University Of Manchester and I lasted 2 weeks. I absolutely hated the course and everything to do with it, I hated the idea of becoming a doctor and I got really depressed; Sleepless nights, anxiety attacks, lack of eating and eventually anti-depressants were prescribed by my GP. I have took an interruption for the year, meaning I could go back to medicine next September if I want to. I am unsure if I want to go back and if it is worth it? the long hours, the stressful lifestyle and the low pay compared to the hours dont appeal to me... yet it is still so difficult to completely shut out a degree as valuable as medicine. So do i go back?

Doesn't sound like it's been a particularly valuable experience for you as an individual :confused:

If it's okay to ask, if you hated the idea of becoming a doctor, why did you apply in the first place?
Original post by Democracy
Doesn't sound like it's been a particularly valuable experience for you as an individual :confused:

If it's okay to ask, if you hated the idea of becoming a doctor, why did you apply in the first place?

I was kind of pushed into it by family, and decided to do it to make them proud and happy. Over time i got really passionate about it too, guess when all you think about for 3 years is getting into medicine, you get a bit passionate about it. When i did get in, i was very excited and really looked forward to it, but as soon as i got there it wasnt what i was expecting it to be and i just felt my passion for medicine and science in general being drained; it was horrible. I guess beforehand I didnt really think about all the negative aspects of being a doctor; the long hours, lack of a personal life, doing this for the rest of your life. I want to help people and that was a particular driving force, but right now i just feel really lost, confused and alone. I feel like im obliged to go back and if i don't, what ever else i do will be a downgrade.
Reply 4
If 2 weeks gave you anxiety and depression, do you really think multiple years is going to be any better? Do what makes you happy, not what makes you the most money. You're at an age where you aren't tied down to anything yet, so do something that you'll feel comfortable doing; that's what your parents want really.
I was kind of pushed into it by family, and decided to do it to make them proud and happy. Over time i got really passionate about it too, guess when all you think about for 3 years is getting into medicine, you get a bit passionate about it. When i did get in, i was very excited and really looked forward to it, but as soon as i got there it wasnt what i was expecting it to be and i just felt my passion for medicine and science in general being drained; it was horrible. I guess beforehand I didnt really think about all the negative aspects of being a doctor; the long hours, lack of a personal life, doing this for the rest of your life. I want to help people and that was a particular driving force, but right now i just feel really lost, confused and alone. I feel like im obliged to go back and if i don't, what ever else i do will be a downgrade.

I can appreciate that some families can be very pushy about this sort of thing, frankly it's better to be aware of how you're feeling sooner rather than later i.e. a year before Finals or a month into FY1, so don't feel bad for examining the path you took to get to where you are now.

You're clearly someone who's able to formulate a goal, put their mind towards achieving it, and actually achieve it. This is definitely something to be proud of yourself for and it will help you in the future - perhaps putting your mind towards getting into medicine was a misjudgement on your part, but the fact that you managed to get in shows that you were hard working enough to still achieve your goal (even if it was the wrong one).

It's also good that you've realised that medical school and being a doctor is definitely more of a way of life rather than just a degree. That's not going to improve as you progress through medical training, quite the opposite in fact. So I would really go with your gut here - if you genuinely feel like this is not the right course and job for you, then I would consider alternatives. Medicine is difficult enough as it is, let alone if you feel it's the wrong choice for you. On the other hand, if you feel that perhaps your feelings are transient and due to feeling overwhelmed rather than a genuine dislike of medicine and being a doctor, then perhaps consider giving it another go. However, the vibe I'm getting is that you fundamentally do not like the idea of what medicine and being a doctor entail, and if that's the case, I wouldn't try and talk yourself into it.

I would also talk to your tutor at university and see what they have to say. They should also be able to help you transfer to an alternative degree, if that's something you'd like to do.

The one thing you shouldn't do is feel guilty or like you've let people down - you've only got one life, you owe it to yourself to do something which makes you feel happy and content. There are plenty of other very useful and interesting degrees and jobs which will still allow you to help people, so leaving medicine should not be seen as downgrading!

Original post by Reality Check
I'm sorry but your post makes me really cross. I feel so sorry for all those passionate and dedicated future doctors who are reading this post and who missed out on a place at medical school because one was wasted on you. All those negative aspects you cite are hardly a secret of the reality of medical practice - surely you should have given much more thought about these aspects before accepting the place and denying others it.

I really hope you do the responsible thing and move onto something more to your liking so someone else can take up your precious place at medical school.

Maybe they should have been better applicants then :confused:
Reply 6
I'm sorry but your post makes me really cross. I feel so sorry for all those passionate and dedicated future doctors who are reading this post and who missed out on a place at medical school because one was wasted on you. All those negative aspects you cite are hardly a secret of the reality of medical practice - surely you should have given much more thought about these aspects before accepting the place and denying others it.

I really hope you do the responsible thing and move onto something more to your liking so someone else can take up your precious place at medical school.

The OP quitting isn't going to mean another person can "take up [their] precious place" - the place is the OP's until they decide they don't want it, and then it's gone. If other applicants were better suited, they'd have been given it.

I think your expectations are somewhat unrealistic. I don't think ANY 18 year old really knows what they're letting themselves in for with a medicine career, no matter how much work experience they have. You can say "oooh, long hours, no social life" etc but you don't know what it means at that stage. It sounds like the OP did a normal amount of preparation and was enthusiastic about the course, but when they got there discovered it wasn't right for them. There's no shame in that.

OP, it seems like things fell apart very quickly when you went to uni. Was it just the course or were you struggling with adjusting to uni life/being away from home? I think both of those things can affect how you feel about the situation, and don't necessarily mean medicine isn't right for you. However, if you really feel like you've decided you don't want to be a doctor then going back for the sake of others' expectations would be wrong and bad for your mental health.
Original post by Helenia
The OP quitting isn't going to mean another person can "take up [their] precious place" - the place is the OP's until they decide they don't want it, and then it's gone. If other applicants were better suited, they'd have been given it.

I think your expectations are somewhat unrealistic. I don't think ANY 18 year old really knows what they're letting themselves in for with a medicine career, no matter how much work experience they have. You can say "oooh, long hours, no social life" etc but you don't know what it means at that stage. It sounds like the OP did a normal amount of preparation and was enthusiastic about the course, but when they got there discovered it wasn't right for them. There's no shame in that.

OP, it seems like things fell apart very quickly when you went to uni. Was it just the course or were you struggling with adjusting to uni life/being away from home? I think both of those things can affect how you feel about the situation, and don't necessarily mean medicine isn't right for you. However, if you really feel like you've decided you don't want to be a doctor then going back for the sake of others' expectations would be wrong and bad for your mental health.

I think this is disingenuous. It's not a case of "If other applicants were better suited, they'd have been given it". The OP obviously gave the impression at interview that they were passionate and dedicated to the role of medicine and the best choice, otherwise of course that place would have been given to someone else. The issue is that this dedication has given way in very short order (a fortnight) into complaints about stress and hours and pay which are hardly some clandestine aspect of medicine which can only be discovered once you're studying it - the reason for dropping out is not some fundamental paradigm shift of the OP's view of medicine, but is for very mundane matters that should have been given more careful thought before accepting a place.

I also don't think my expectations are at all unrealistic - the drop out rate for medicine is extremely low compared to most other subjects, which would indicate that most 18 year olds are perfectly capable of thinking through exactly what they're letting themselves in for.
(edited 7 years ago)

Your at a good university with a chance to get a very valuable degree. However, if you don't want to be a Doctor in the future there is no point carrying it on and hating it. You'll be in Medical school for a good couple of years and if it's not to your preference leave it and do something you will actually enjoy doing.
Reply 9
I think this is disingenuous. It's not a case of "If other applicants were better suited, they'd have been given it". The OP obviously gave the impression at interview that they were passionate and dedicated to the role of medicine and the best choice, otherwise of course that place would have been given to someone else. The issue is that this dedication has given way in very short order (a fortnight) into complaints about stress and hours and pay which are hardly some clandestine aspect of medicine which can only be discovered once you're studying it - the reason for dropping out is not some fundamental paradigm shift of the OP's view of medicine, but is for very mundane matters that should have been given more careful thought before accepting a place.

I also don't think my expectations are at all unrealistic - the drop out rate for medicine is extremely low compared to most other subjects, which would indicate that most 18 year olds are perfectly capable of thinking through exactly what they're letting themselves in for.

At the time, the OP thought they were passionate and dedicated, it's not like they were lying to the interviewers (which I would have an issue with). They may have been naive - most med applicants are, I certainly was - and now that reality is kicking in they've realised they want out already. I do think it's happened very quickly, especially as most medical courses will barely have got started after two weeks and certainly won't be showing much similarity to life as a junior doctor, and wonder if there are other factors/mental health issues at play, but don't see any reason why the OP should feel guilty that someone else should have had their place.

You're a Cambridge Fresher, aren't you? In the nicest possible way, you have no idea what's coming...
Original post by Helenia
At the time, the OP thought they were passionate and dedicated,

...what, and then a fortnight after starting the course s/he wasn't!

There is an difference between naivety and unpreparedness. Naivety does not make claiming that you dropped out because you didn't realise the hours were long and pay not to your liking any more reasonable. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

You should read more carefully. I am not a Cambridge Fresher - I am a Cambridge graduate who went on to do a Ph.D. Your assumption that you are in a position to patronise is thus rather misplaced.
(edited 7 years ago)
...what, and then a fortnight after starting the course s/he wasn't!

There is an difference between naivety and unpreparedness. Naivety does not make claiming that you dropped out because you didn't realise the hours were long and pay not to your liking any more reasonable. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

You should read more carefully. I am not a Cambridge Fresher - I am a Cambridge graduate who went on to do a Ph.D. Your assumption that you are in a position to patronise is thus rather misplaced.

Oh sorry, got you mixed up with someone else.

I have no idea of the OP's thought process tbh, and I do think it's very early to decide medicine's not right for them, but I just don't see there's any point going down the "someone else could have had your place" route, it doesn't benefit anyone. I'm assuming the OP knew before starting that there would be long hours etc, you'd have to be very uninformed not to know that, but something changed to make them realise it wasn't right for them.

I knew I'd have to do long hours, have a limited social life etc when I started, and thought I worked hard/did lots of hours at Cambridge, but still found the reality tough to handle as an FY1.
Original post by Helenia
Oh sorry, got you mixed up with someone else.

I have no idea of the OP's thought process tbh, and I do think it's very early to decide medicine's not right for them, but I just don't see there's any point going down the "someone else could have had your place" route, it doesn't benefit anyone. I'm assuming the OP knew before starting that there would be long hours etc, you'd have to be very uninformed not to know that, but something changed to make them realise it wasn't right for them.

I knew I'd have to do long hours, have a limited social life etc when I started, and thought I worked hard/did lots of hours at Cambridge, but still found the reality tough to handle as an FY1.

:smile:

From having a brief sally through your posts, did you do graduate medicine at Cambridge, or have I got that wrong? And if so, did you have Prof. Whyllie telling you about macrophage infiltration being 'on the bus' for atheroma? This always sticks in my head for some reason!

Having thought about this, I think I am a little harsh in the 'precious place' thing - I do still think it was beholden on the OP to be absolutely sure of the basic stuff like hours and pay before they started, but I accept that mistakes are made and things can change.
:smile:

From having a brief sally through your posts, did you do graduate medicine at Cambridge, or have I got that wrong? And if so, did you have Prof. Whyllie telling you about macrophage infiltration being 'on the bus' for atheroma? This always sticks in my head for some reason!

Having thought about this, I think I am a little harsh in the 'precious place' thing - I do still think it was beholden on the OP to be absolutely sure of the basic stuff like hours and pay before they started, but I accept that mistakes are made and things can change.

I did normal undergrad medicine at Cambridge, we did have a couple of lectures from Prof Wyllie but I don't remember that particular quote!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending