The Student Room Group

independent studying of A-level physics

Hello everyone :smile: Due to serious issues until recently with my mental health I was unable to cope in education however I still have goals to tackle . currently I am completing a psychology course with NEC open college however recently I have found out to get an a level, technically you only need to sit the exams. by the end of next year I want to have 3/4 complete a levels , the same as everybody else in my year would have. I don't want to slip behind a year Nowhere local offers the chance to complete two full A-levels in a year and so next year I am going to two long distance ones . Now money is an issue. I am wanting to complete a full physics a level on my own .... Is this possible ??? Has anybody done this ??? If somebody could please give insight and experience this would be great ( just to note that i got an A* at GCSE physics so I have some knowledge in the field
(edited 7 years ago)
The problem with this is that to get a proper A-level in physics, you need to complete 12 practicals across your course which you are assessed on at your centre. Without these practicals, the A-level does not have practical endoresement, and many universities would look very badly at this, as practical skills are one of the most important parts of a science course.
Original post by lizardlizard
The problem with this is that to get a proper A-level in physics, you need to complete 12 practicals across your course which you are assessed on at your centre. Without these practicals, the A-level does not have practical endoresement, and many universities would look very badly at this, as practical skills are one of the most important parts of a science course.

Thankyou !! so i would have to undertake the practicals at home then ???
You need an accredited assessor to see you doing the practical, and evidence that you've done the related planning/analysis. You would have to find a school or college where they would be willing to assess you.
Original post by lizardlizard
You need an accredited assessor to see you doing the practical, and evidence that you've done the related planning/analysis. You would have to find a school or college where they would be willing to assess you.

My name is Jo and I am a course adviser at the National Extension college. The exam grade for the A level Physics is made up from your written exam. The practical endorsement is an additional pass/fail grade that you can achieve on top of your A level grade. Depending on the course you want to study at university you may be required to do the Practical Endorsement to gain entry on your chosen course. You should always check with the university to confirm whether your course requires it.

If you are an NEC student then the core practical work is partly manageable at home, and can be completed using linked video resources. This is included in the course and these skills are tested in the written exams. Your certificate grade is made just from these exam results. The practical endorsement is not included in the course for this fee, although we are expecting to be offering it next February/Easter/May at a centre in Coventry for a further cost (£750).
There are 12 practicals which will take place over the 3 sessions
gcse physics is nothing like a level physics btw, it's maths you'll need.

Quick Reply

Latest