The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sugar_cane
Sometimes it doesn't matter what unis except...it's what you feel at the end of the day. Okay, demonstrating that over the forum isn't the best way of going about it, but, it isn't snobbery if they aren't happy with it.
I'm sure a mod will come across this soon.

It does not sound right to assert that "it isn't snobbery if they aren't happy with it." If you keep on insisting that it is not snobbery in spite of fact that someone has achieved some excellent results, then where is the limit of happiness? In that case one may even not be happy until he gets full marks in all exams. Don't you reckon that is being greedy?
Reply 41
There's a slight difference between "unhappy" about getting 99% and feeling a bit miffed that you could have found that extra mark somewhere...
Reply 42
"arrrgggh arrrghh nooooooooooooo noooooooooooooooo I only got 297 in my AS Level, it's a high A and there's not the A* grade out yet so no difference but noooooooooooooooo It;s the end of the world, i'm cursed for the rest of my life - i'm ruined"

newsreader: A student at *********************** college has beaten himself up so severly that he is in intensive care. He was known to be very disappointed with his A grade he got in his examinations.

I'm not very good at sarcasm but i hope you get my point!
It was to the point...
Reply 44
Rachy_louise
How can people possibly say they've underachieved their GCSE's or A levels, when they have A's and B's? Talk about snobbiness, really! I know people have their own individual standards, grades that they would be happy getting, but how can you say you've "underachieved" with A's and B's? Those grades will get you into most universities!

TSR is filling up with snobs, I reckon. I'm not thrilled with my BCC at AS, but I tell you something, I don't feel that I have underachieved at all. Yes I've done better, but BCC IS good. You do not need straight A's to succeed in life.

Rant over

Too right. I too would be proud with your BCC! I know a guy at my 6th form who wasnt happy with AAAB.Its just depressing.
mskz88
Too right. I too would be proud with your BCC! I know a guy at my 6th form who wasnt happy with AAAB.Its just depressing.

Please, if you have read the rest of this thread, it's more about what personal standards somebody sets themselves. We all of course are unique, therefore qhat we deem acceptable for ourselves is totally different.
It's about fulfilling your full potential, for some people that may be EEE, or BCC, or whatever. But for some people, it really is 285+/300, and they are within their rights to be disappointed with anything below that.

It might sound snobbish, but I doubt that any of them are trying to make everyone else upset with their grades. And it should be pointed out that the average grades (claimed) on here are much higher than the average for the country as a whole, so it's not really a good place to compare yourself with other people.
Reply 47
Typical.

I have to admit I use to think, the people who got AAAA but complained they got 250 UMS and not say 280 UMS were being boastful and ungrateful of their high achievement. But when I received AABC at AS the other day, I was happy but slightly disappointed at the same time. Why? Because I underachieved, I never fully reached my potential; I should have got the minimum AAAB. So naturally I am going to see B and C as a poor grade, for me and that is the key words – for me.

What people have to realize is everyone has their own goals, some low, others high and some yet extremely high. When some people don’t reach these goals they are naturally going to feel disappointed. Otherwise what is the point of setting goals, then failing them and being content with it? That is not going to exactly push you, and it certainly would not push me to improve myself further.

The people who claim they would be happy with BCC, how many would feel if they then got CDD, would you still feel just as pleased?

My close friend got AAAAA and was disappointed that he never got an A in one of his modules. I could of easily turned around, like many of you now, and say “your such a snob, you got straight A’s why complain?!” but I understand that he has his OWN goals and I have my OWN goals, and what is an achievement for HIM is different for ME. I was pleased for him and told him if he should resist the module if it bothered him so much.

Different goals for different people.

average grades (claimed) on here are much higher than the average for the country as a whole, so it's not really a good place to compare yourself with other people.
Exactly, i totally agree.
Erzan
Typical.

I have to admit I use to think, the people who got AAAA but complained they got 250 UMS and not say 280 UMS were being boastful and ungrateful of their high achievement. But when I received AABC at AS the other day, I was happy but slightly disappointed at the same time. Why? Because I underachieved, I never fully reached my potential; I should have got the minimum AAAB. So naturally I am going to see B and C as a poor grade, for me and that is the key words for me.

What people have to realize is everyone has their own goals, some low, others high and some yet extremely high. When some people don’t reach these goals they are naturally going to feel disappointed. Otherwise what is the point of setting goals, then failing them and being content with it? That is not going to exactly push you, and it certainly would not push me to improve myself further.

The people who claim they would be happy with BCC, how many would feel if they then got CDD, would you still feel just as pleased?

My close friend got AAAAA and was disappointed that he never got an A in one of his modules. I could of easily turned around, like many of you now, and say “your such a snob, you got straight A’s why complain?!” but I understand that he has his OWN goals and I have my OWN goals, and what is an achievement for HIM is different for ME. I was pleased for him and told him if he should resist the module if it bothered him so much.

Different goals for different people.

Exactly, i totally agree.

:ditto: This is a good post, and that's what many people have been trying to get across on this thread.
Yep. Its all about yourself really, and potential. I got ABBC. I am capable of AAAA However i underachieved because I didn't put in the effort...so I was expecting more rather than dissapointed. (I was so close to getting AAAB though darn nab it)

I spoke to my friend on results day who had got AAAA and is now going to Oxford to study Biochemistry and he got a B in one of his modules which he told me he was annoyed about. He really is an A grade student so he has a right to be slightly annoyed. It wasn't like he was devestated or anything mind.

I won't be satisfied if i don't get AAAa next year. I would have underachieved I feel.
*Tears and Butterflies*

I won't be satisfied if i don't get AAAa next year. I would have underachieved I feel.

:ditto:
Reply 51
I agree with your own goals. I dropped a grade at A level from AS and was very dissapointed, bur thats because I wanted to go a grade up instead. It is personal goals that people try to achieve. When people are on a role and are getting a string of good grades i'm sure they would want to continue gaining them top grades.
It's got nothing to do about snobbiness, it's about doing your best.

If you're capable of getting As and Bs and worked hard for them and deserve them and then you end up getting Cs and Ds you have EVERY right to be upset.

I'm sick of people calling me a snob/selfish because I was gutted with getting a C in maths. If you're happy with a C in maths then that is brilliant, but some people can do better and deserve better and they have every right to be upset about it.
yeah my friend got all A*s and As in her gcses then a C in additional maths.
She is even happier with the C than with some of the A*s! because she was pretty much guaranteed A*s in some subjects, but was predicted to fail add maths

Latest