The Student Room Group

Should I?

After only getting an A in IT, a subject I was certain I'd get an A* in, I asked my teacher to check how far I was off an A* and it turns out I was only 3 marks off. When I asked him whether I could have it remarked he said that its unlikely it would go up by that much, but I've been thinking and as the teachers had scaled marks rather than actual raw marks it means I'm only 1 or 2 actual marks off, right? Surely if its only one mark there's a chance I could get an A* if I had it remarked? So what do you think? Should I have it remarked? I know it doesn't really matter for my future or anything, but I just find it really annoying...
well just get it remarked!
Reply 2
Best thing is to ask your teacher. Remarking is expensive, and there's no guarantee they'll find extra marks.
vector
Best thing is to ask your teacher. Remarking is expensive, and there's no guarantee they'll find extra marks.

knowing my teacher he'll just tell me to go and be happy with what i got. and i'm prepaired to pay as i'll only have to pay if my grade doesn't go up...
girl_in_black
knowing my teacher he'll just tell me to go and be happy with what i got. and i'm prepaired to pay as i'll only have to pay if my grade doesn't go up...

But your grade almost certainly won't go up. Even if you do gain a mark or two.
generalebriety
But your grade almost certainly won't go up. Even if you do gain a mark or two.

why not? it should go up if i gain 2 marks.
Reply 6
I thought it was free if you got ANY extra marks, not just an increased grade?
vector

yeah, that's what i meant :smile:
vector

No, it's free if the grade goes up.

girl_in_black
why not? it should go up if i gain 2 marks.

Since when? You just made that up ten minutes ago. Conversion to UMS isn't a simple "multiply by a scale factor" job, it might be one mark or four you need.
generalebriety
No, it's free if the grade goes up.

Since when? You just made that up ten minutes ago. Conversion to UMS isn't a simple "multiply by a scale factor" job, it might be one mark or four you need.

surely if i only need 3 ums marks i can't need more than 3 raw marks? that wouldn't make sense...
I hope it goes up a grade. You should get it remarked, and if it doesn't go up, it's only money. I'm getting my history paper 1 remarked. Good luck if you choose to get it remarked.
girl_in_black
surely if i only need 3 ums marks i can't need more than 3 raw marks? that wouldn't make sense...

Why not? :s-smilie: It's perfectly possible. As I said, it's not a simple scaling job.
Reply 12
Not necessarily. Our raw marks were scaled down to UMS on chemistry CH3, but I think that's quite rare.

But what makes you certain there will be extra marks there on the second marking? You're relying on the incompetence of your marker really.
no ums is different, you can get lower marks and get higher ums marks, dont ask how it works
vector
Not necessarily. Our raw marks were scaled down to UMS on chemistry CH3, but I think that's quite rare.

What was that in reply to, sorry? :p:
Reply 15
generalebriety
What was that in reply to, sorry? :p:

I think this is a proves the case for TSR needing multiquote :p:, which if we had I could have been bothered to quote this:

girl_in_black

Lord my grammar is awful :s-smilie:

Latest