The Student Room Group

Lolita 1962 (Kubrick) vs. Lolita 1997 (Lyne)

Poll

So, which one's your favourite?

I've just been watching some clips on youtube of these two film versions as I keep meaning to rent the film but haven't got round to doing so yet. In fact, I didn't realise until I got on youtube that there were 2 versions, as the Kubrick version is the most famous.

However, having been planning on renting the Kubrick version, I'm now thinking I won't bother as the 1997 version seems way better, mainly in terms of its more faithful adherence to the novel's plot, and in terms of the choice of actress for Lolita herself. Sue Lyon (who played Lolita in Kubrick's film) seems way too old to play Lolita, whereas Dominique Swain (the 1997 Lolita) seems to comply far more with how I'd imagined Lolita to be while I was reading the novel.

So, what do you all say? Any preference? If so then what are the reasons for your preference?
Reply 1
I prefer the 1997 one for the same reasons as you think you will (if that makes sense :p:) i.e. more believable Lolita actress, more faithful to the novel etc. The Kubrick one is kind of adapted to make it more like other films of the day, rather than like the book. It is interesting to watch if only for the fact that Nabokov did the screenplay (though it was changed a lot by the producers, I think).

So yeah, I vote for '97. :smile:
Reply 2
My loyalty lies with Kubrick.
<3
Reply 3
loadmalz
My loyalty lies with Kubrick.
<3

Why?
ppl prefer the originals usually - and kubrick is the big name director here so its easier to side with him..

i have seen the first one (kubrick) and didnt think it was particlualry great.
Reply 5
I would have to say the Stanley Kubrick version too. It's much more implicit, more suggestive and, therefore, more powerful whereas the Lyne version is more denotive.

The Lyne version takes advantage of the absence of censors/societal reactions that prevented Kubrick from screening what he really wanted to.
Only seen the recent one. thought it stuck to the book very well; it's my favourite novel. And jeremy irons is a bonus, eh?

i cried at the end, even though i already knew everything that was going to happen... how sad.

Although - i'm not sure, can't quite remember, i don't think they give you the details from the foreword and afterword in the film, do they?

Latest