The Student Room Group

Just got rejected from my dream university, any chance of even getting an offer?

Hello everyone,

Had an all around horrible day, but the worst thing was getting rejected from the university with which I fell in love with, and led me to even consider Scotland (St Andrews).😥 Now it seems that the rejection was because of my personal statement (said that after careful selection and so on, others were stronger)... Now my other universities (Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh) are going to get the same ps.... Is there even a chance for getting an offer or interview? Any words of consolation? 😢😢
Original post by LadyOfLights
Hello everyone,

Had an all around horrible day, but the worst thing was getting rejected from the university with which I fell in love with, and led me to even consider Scotland (St Andrews).😥 Now it seems that the rejection was because of my personal statement (said that after careful selection and so on, others were stronger)... Now my other universities (Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh) are going to get the same ps.... Is there even a chance for getting an offer or interview? Any words of consolation? 😢😢

Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that.

Just because St. Andrews rejected you absolutely doesn't mean that the other ones will - you have every chance of getting an offer.

Don't give up hope :smile:
Reply 2
Everything happens for a reason, like they say, it's written in the stars

I'm sure you will find a place in another university, meet great people and be even more happier.
Reply 3
Hello everyone,

They all aren't like St Andrews so don't worry so much.
Original post by Reality Check
Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that.

Just because St. Andrews rejected you absolutely doesn't mean that the other ones will - you have every chance of getting an offer.

Don't give up hope :smile:

Thank you 😥 I am probably seeing everything way too black and white atm...
Just feeling so sad right now 😖
Original post by gujuboy
Everything happens for a reason, like they say, it's written in the stars

I'm sure you will find a place in another university, meet great people and be even more happier.

You can't imagine how much your words just helped! ☺️
It's so true! I remember how grateful I am today that I couldn't go to the US for an exchange year, thus I went to Brazil... Had the most wonderful year and met the people I consider now another set of parents and amazing friends... Its just hard to remember these thoughts in such moments...

Original post by S2M
They all aren't like St Andrews so don't worry so much.

Thanks for the nice words! I just always thought my best chances laid with St. Andrews... So getting rejected has me worrying like crazy :s-smilie:
Reply 6
You can't imagine how much your words just helped! ☺️
It's so true! I remember how grateful I am today that I couldn't go to the US for an exchange year, thus I went to Brazil... Had the most wonderful year and met the people I consider now another set of parents and amazing friends... Its just hard to remember these thoughts in such moments...

Thanks for the nice words! I just always thought my best chances laid with St. Andrews... So getting rejected has me worrying like crazy :s-smilie:

I understand what you mean, just because one rejected you doesn't mean that other necessarily will.
Relax - rejection is always unpleasant. St Andrew's made their decision and other medical schools will make their own. Very few people receive offers from all four medical schools and so there is clearly variation in terms of selectors' judgement. You have another three chances to get into medical school this year and the worst case scenario is that you have to have a gap year and apply again. Gap years can be lots of fun and this isn't a terrible outcome by any means. If you really want to go to St Andrew's then you can go there to work, study, or research once you have your primary medical qualification.
Hello everyone,

Aberdeen don't even consider your personal statement at this stage of application... Med schools are all looking for slightly different things, so one rejection doesn't mean you'll get three more.
Knowing absolutely nothing about you, you will probably get 4 rejections.

But that was true before you even applied. More than half of people get 4 rejections, that's just a fact.

Not much has changed. You can still get offers. You just need to keep your preparation up and wait it out.

But going into denial doesn't help. I would start preliminary thinking about what you will do if the worst happens. Because it might. Hopefully not but it might. Have a plan. Can't hurt.
Someone got rejected by Warwick and LSE but got an offer from Cambridge so no just because you didn't get an offer from one uni doesn't mean the rest are going to reject you, in the same way not all unis will accept you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone,

Firstly I am so sorry you received a rejection, its very hard to take in any circumstance. I remember crying for hours after my first rejection, but you need to pick yourself up and move on, you have 3 other amazing medical schools which may well offer you an interview.

I had the same issue, I was rejected from 3/4 of my medical schools due to a "less competitive" personal statement, it was demoralising and I came very close to giving up. But I had an interview at one university and pulled myself together to get through it. All you need is once chance, I was given that and now im in the second year of medical school! Just believe in yourself, one rejection doesnt mean your application was bad or that your not good enough, it just means sadly this time around it wasnt meant to be at St Andrews.

chin up x

Latest

Trending

Trending