The Student Room Group

confused about what degree to do ?!?!!

i am a very indecisive person and i am having issues figuring out what to do after sixth form.
I really enjoy media studies and i definitely want to work in the media industry later. i was planning on doing media and communications at uni but thinking about it now i feel like i should go for something more creative like media arts, or media and film studies. the problem is that i have very little experience with the technical side of media so my teacher advised me to do a foundation year. i am really confused and everyone at school seems to have applied to all their 5 unis. i am scared media and communications isnt going to be creative enough and very theoretical instead. plus all the people that do media and communications seem to be working in PR and stuff like that and i am more into creative things like Art direction, pulishing, creative advertsing etc..
Original post by ltblemm
i am a very indecisive person and i am having issues figuring out what to do after sixth form.
I really enjoy media studies and i definitely want to work in the media industry later. i was planning on doing media and communications at uni but thinking about it now i feel like i should go for something more creative like media arts, or media and film studies. the problem is that i have very little experience with the technical side of media so my teacher advised me to do a foundation year. i am really confused and everyone at school seems to have applied to all their 5 unis. i am scared media and communications isnt going to be creative enough and very theoretical instead. plus all the people that do media and communications seem to be working in PR and stuff like that and i am more into creative things like Art direction, pulishing, creative advertsing etc..

Have you checked whether you need a degree to go into the job you want? There's no point wasting 27k if it's not required
i feel just a few months ago i was in similar position to you, i've always been a very creative person and i'm much better with artistic course elements than theoretical but i feel like there needs to be a split somewhere to broaden my career prospects.

there are quite a few universities out there who offer media & communications courses with a nice split between creative practical elements and theory (goldsmiths, sussex, newcastle just to name a few) and vice versa really, i believe there will be film and media production degrees which involve some theory too. your best bet is just looking at different universities which interest you and reading into their modules to see which you're best suited to. you should also consider contacting academic staff and admissions to ask them whether they believe you need existing knowledge of the technical sides of things as you may not even have to complete a foundation year unless that's what you'd prefer
Reply 3
Original post by loveliest
i feel just a few months ago i was in similar position to you, i've always been a very creative person and i'm much better with artistic course elements than theoretical but i feel like there needs to be a split somewhere to broaden my career prospects.

there are quite a few universities out there who offer media & communications courses with a nice split between creative practical elements and theory (goldsmiths, sussex, newcastle just to name a few) and vice versa really, i believe there will be film and media production degrees which involve some theory too. your best bet is just looking at different universities which interest you and reading into their modules to see which you're best suited to. you should also consider contacting academic staff and admissions to ask them whether they believe you need existing knowledge of the technical sides of things as you may not even have to complete a foundation year unless that's what you'd prefer

Thank you so much, your advice really helped me out. yeah i think looking at unis and their courses is really the best thing i can do, i know goldsmiths offer a 50% coursework/50% theoretical course which i find quite suited for me. i was also thinking the same as you there definitely needs to be a split somewhere to broaden career prospects. are you doing media at univeristy ?
Original post by ltblemm
Thank you so much, your advice really helped me out. yeah i think looking at unis and their courses is really the best thing i can do, i know goldsmiths offer a 50% coursework/50% theoretical course which i find quite suited for me. i was also thinking the same as you there definitely needs to be a split somewhere to broaden career prospects. are you doing media at univeristy ?

glad i could be of help! i've applied mostly for media & communications and one with marketing, although the goldsmiths media & communciations is my favourite!
Reply 5
glad i could be of help! i've applied mostly for media & communications and one with marketing, although the goldsmiths media & communciations is my favourite!

where else did you apply ? :smile: well i hope you get into Goldsmiths then !!
Original post by ltblemm
where else did you apply ? :smile: well i hope you get into Goldsmiths then !!

thank you! :smile: i also applied to keele (with marketing), university of nottingham, university of leeds and university of leicester, have you decided on any to apply to yet? keep me updated!
Reply 7
thank you! :smile: i also applied to keele (with marketing), university of nottingham, university of leeds and university of leicester, have you decided on any to apply to yet? keep me updated!

i am applying to LCC for sure and i am also thinking of Royal Holloway and maybe sussex, but i am not sure yet :smile: i was going to apply to Leicester like you but i decided to stay in the london / south east of england.

Quick Reply

Latest