The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Got an offer for Economics and Politics, what are my career prospects?

I got an offer for Economics and Politcal Science at Birmingham uni, and from what I understand it is a great uni but I am worried about the career prospects from both the course and the uni. I was just wondering what are the career prospects for someone with an Economics and Politcs degree from Brimingham like and what sort of jobs can I go in to.
Reply 1
Hi there I'm a fellow economics and politics applicant from Birmingham too. I think it's a great degree and it can let us go into financial fields such as investment banking as well as working for the civil service etc.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Rish_18
Hi there I'm a fellow economics and politics applicant from Birmingham too. I think it's a great degree and it can let us go into financial fields such as investment banking as well as working for the civil service etc.

What subjects are you studying currently?
Reply 3
Original post by MajorFader
What subjects are you studying currently?

I'm doing Maths,Economics and Politics how about you ?
Shouldn't you have thought about this before applying?
Original post by Rish_18
I'm doing Maths,Economics and Politics how about you ?

Exact same. It I am in AS rather than A2..
Did you apply for economics and politics everywhere?
Reply 6
Exact same. It I am in AS rather than A2..
Did you apply for economics and politics everywhere?

Yeah I did mate I got all 5 of my offers I got Birmingham obviously, Leeds AAB, Southampton BBB,Nottingham AAB and Queen Mary AAA. I got 3 A': at AS and A*AA predictions.

Do you want to do this course at university ?
Original post by Rish_18
Yeah I did mate I got all 5 of my offers I got Birmingham obviously, Leeds AAB, Southampton BBB,Nottingham AAB and Queen Mary AAA. I got 3 A': at AS and A*AA predictions.

Do you want to do this course at university ?

I am deciding between econ and politics and straight economics. Probably leaning more towards straight economics though. What subjecs your it A* prediction can I ask?
Reply 8
I am deciding between econ and politics and straight economics. Probably leaning more towards straight economics though. What subjecs your it A* prediction can I ask?

It was in politics mate. To be honest I would rather do straight economics but it's way too competitive and by doing economics and politics the entry requirements are nicer and then I may switch to straight economics if the uni let's me which shouldn't be a problem. How are you finding your AS and how were your GCSE's ?
Original post by Rish_18
It was in politics mate. To be honest I would rather do straight economics but it's way too competitive and by doing economics and politics the entry requirements are nicer and then I may switch to straight economics if the uni let's me which shouldn't be a problem. How are you finding your AS and how were your GCSE's ?

That's exactly how I feel and I think I actually might do that, but what if I can't change??? That part gets to me. My AS's are going okay ATM, my GCSEs aren't up to tsr standard so if you say yours first Lool I will say mine...politics is annoying becasue of the time constraint in the exam.
Reply 10
That's exactly how I feel and I think I actually might do that, but what if I can't change??? That part gets to me. My AS's are going okay ATM, my GCSEs aren't up to tsr standard so if you say yours first Lool I will say mine...politics is annoying becasue of the time constraint in the exam.

I don't think mine were up to TSR standard either I got 3A*'s and 7A's. What board are you for politics and economics ?
Original post by Rish_18
I don't think mine were up to TSR standard either I got 3A*'s and 7A's. What board are you for politics and economics ?

I got 1A* 2As 2Bs 4Cs 2Ds... nowhere near as good as yours. Economics is linear and I am on OCR and politics I am on Edexcel What exam board are you for maths and the rest?
Reply 12
I got 1A* 2As 2Bs 4Cs 2Ds... nowhere near as good as yours. Economics is linear and I am on OCR and politics I am on Edexcel What exam board are you for maths and the rest?

I am OCR for maths and Edexcel for Politics and Economics. I managed to get 173/200 ums in my politics which I was pretty chuffed about. I would strongly recommend just revising 2 for unit one and three for unit two just learn them inside out. That's what I did and it paid off massively !!
Original post by Rish_18
I am OCR for maths and Edexcel for Politics and Economics. I managed to get 173/200 ums in my politics which I was pretty chuffed about. I would strongly recommend just revising 2 for unit one and three for unit two just learn them inside out. That's what I did and it paid off massively !!

Thanks man...it seems so content heavy and sometimes I wonder in class how the hell am I going to learn all of this:s-smilie:. Did you not like maths enough to do a joint degree with economics? I think it's less competitive...I think.
Reply 14
Thanks man...it seems so content heavy and sometimes I wonder in class how the hell am I going to learn all of this:s-smilie:. Did you not like maths enough to do a joint degree with economics? I think it's less competitive...I think.

Ahh I'm just not that great at maths to be honest mate I struggle with it but I just try my best haha. I'd recommend to do elections and pressure groups in unit one and constitution executive and the judiciary in unit two that's what I did anyways. Don't worry I was thinking exactly the same as you are right now !! If you have any questions anytime just message me mate !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending