The Student Room Group

UEA, Sussex or Aston (Birmingham) - Computer science

My offers:

UEA - ABB
Sussex - AAB (ABB if i make it my firm choice)
Aston - BBB
Plymouth - BBB
Portsmouth - BBC

So basically I'm wondering if Sussex will chance my G400 course to the G401 course which makes it a placement year / year abroad. Can this happen after I get an offer?

Also just wondering on the general opinions of Sussex vs UEA, I think Aston will be my insurance choice unless I hate the city and it'll be Plymouth.

Another issue is that if Sussex doesn't give me a placement year then I might make UEA my firm even though I probably want to go to Sussex more, because a placement year is v important for employability I've been told.

I think I've decided to go to all the open days as a start before I properly choose; opinions highly valued though, thanks! :smile:
Original post by Robsuni?
My offers:

UEA - ABB
Sussex - AAB (ABB if i make it my firm choice)
Aston - BBB
Plymouth - BBB
Portsmouth - BBC

So basically I'm wondering if Sussex will chance my G400 course to the G401 course which makes it a placement year / year abroad. Can this happen after I get an offer?

Also just wondering on the general opinions of Sussex vs UEA, I think Aston will be my insurance choice unless I hate the city and it'll be Plymouth.

Another issue is that if Sussex doesn't give me a placement year then I might make UEA my firm even though I probably want to go to Sussex more, because a placement year is v important for employability I've been told.

I think I've decided to go to all the open days as a start before I properly choose; opinions highly valued though, thanks! :smile:

Definitely ask about the course swap - it's perfectly possible for a university to swap your course over if that's what you want.

And take your time visiting - try to go beyond the normal applicant day stuff - give yourself extra time at each university to explore the local area and facilities. Mooch around the student union and the local shops/pubs and try to imagine yourself living in a city (and doing any daily commute/travelling). It's often possible to arrange to stay over in halls (or a youth hostel) if you've got a long way to travel - this is well worthwhile (especially because it usually means you can get cheaper transport which covers the cost of the accommodation) especially if the university can help you meet up with some students from your course the day before to give you a more realistic tour of the area!
Hello, I thought i'd reply to your post regarding university choices/ placement opportunities.

I am in my final year at Portsmouth uni, studying Business Information Systems within the School of Computing which is obviously where Computer Science sits too! I completed a placement at a defence company which really has proved to be such valuable experience and the opportunities it gave me have been endless - so I definitely can agree with you that it is very important!

In terms of the support at Portsmouth uni (regarding placements) we have a Student Placement and Employability Centre (SPEC) office which provides support across the Faculty of Technology. They help with pretty much anything... CV checking, finding placements, advertising placements, preparing for interviews - basically anything you need! Also, there are lots of really great placements which are exclusive to Portsmouth uni students within the faculty. The placement year at Portsmouth uni allows you to apply for accreditation from the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) as an ICTTech or EngTech (have a look on their site for more details!) - I've received mine in the post this week, plus a whole host of other extras. I now work as a placement ambassador for the faculty which is really good fun!

On a larger scale, there is also Purple Door which is a university wide careers advice centre who are also really helpful!

So I think it's also really important that you look at this when you are choosing a university - along with all the other things like the city etc!

If you have any other questions or about Portsmouth in general, feel free to fire away!

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Robsuni?
Also just wondering on the general opinions of Sussex vs UEA,

Hi Rob, lots to think about here! I would certainly recommend Unistats as a good place to try and pull out and glean facts from a reputable source based on surveys with our actual students.

Here are just a few positive stats about UEA over your other choice - although they are both very good universities!

comp.jpg

I should also point out we're a Top 15 UK University, we're also consistently ranked in the Top 5 for student satisfaction according to the National Student Survey (Top 3 this year), and Norwich also boasts of a relatively low cost of living compared to other major cities (private accommodation and campus accommodation seems to be more affordable, for instance).

See more about why Norwich is a great place to live and study here below, and drop us a line if you have any further questions!

[video="youtube;FuiyHqxvK8A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuiyHqxvK8A[/video]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending