The Student Room Group

My uncle said I'm behind in life and others

So I'm 27 and I'm getting well paid interview offers for programming, developer jobs.

I've got an interview next week for £25k starting salary. I've even got a potential £27k starting salary interview.

I went to university at 21 and my uncle telling to me "your behind others, your behind". I subsequently dropped out of university and studied another degree.

My sister(a year younger than me) and all of my cousins who have got masters (who are the same age or a year younger than I) started their careers before me and they are earning £22-23k in total from their jobs(before tax).

I also remember some my other uncle's telling me I'm brainless and behind in life and others and saying how others have outdone me and they achieved more.

What goes around, comes around, I wonder if I get these jobs if they eat humble pie?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why do they say these things?
What a horrible thing to tell someone! You are allowed to live your life the way you want to
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm 27 and I'm getting well paid interview offers for programming, developer jobs.

I've got an interview next week for £25k starting salary. I've even got a potential £27k starting salary interview.

I went to university at 21 and my uncle telling to me "your behind others, your behind". I subsequently dropped out of university and studied another degree.

My sister(a year younger than me) and all of my cousins who have got masters (who are the same age or a year younger than I) started their careers before me and they are earning £22-23k in total from their jobs(before tax).

I also remember some my other uncle's telling me I'm brainless and behind in life and others and saying how others have outdone me and they achieved more.

What goes around, comes around, I wonder if I get these jobs if they eat humble pie?

people say horrible things, even family memebers.

Try not to worry about people who are always comparing you to others. Its an easy way to kill off any confidence you have, and its always pointless. My family are similar, they always compare me to other family members, but after years and years you learn that people achieve highly at different points in their lives.

Me and my sister have been switching between who is doing 'better' for years.. she did better at school.. then I got into a better uni.. then I dropped out of uni.. then she graduated straight away but couldnt get a job.. then I went back to uni, graduated then did get a job.. she had a long-term partner, and a flat.. then they broke up, and I met someone and got married.. then she took up a job as a teacher for a good school.. then I started my own company and now easily out-earn her.. then I moved away to another country.. then she got a promotion.. then blah blah blah blah blah..

Point is everyone goes through highs and lows, and at different times we are all 'ahead' or 'behind' others... but in life thats just natrual, and the only important thing to remember is that with the billions of people out there, there is no one set path through life, and there is defiently not one set pace.. so you can never really be behind what does not exist.

Your uncle's comments are stupid, but dont try and dwell on why.. if you spend time asking why people make stupid comments, it will drain any free time you may have left!
Reply 4
Get the job and then ask "if I'm behind others, then why am I earning more money?". Or just punch him in the face, he sounds like an *******.
You should tell him it's you're* not your :cool:
It's not just about getting the role. It's about staying in it too. Bosses are quick to wield the axe nowadays so you must dedicate yourself 100% to any job you take
Original post by TheProphetsPath
You should tell him it's you're* not your :cool:

Wtf is that picture man? You scared the **** out of me :rofl:
Why do they say these things?

Because they have a mistaken belief that life is a race and they get satisfaction in comparing yourself to others, then knocking you down.

The more important question is that why as a 27 year old do you listen?
Reply 9
Either they are trying to demotivate you, or jealous! Ignore them, I say prove to them that they are wrong. Don't forget Colonel Sanders story

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest, you ARE behind, quite a lot. I'm younger than you, started University at 21, and already did a year in my first developer job at 30k, and moved onto another role for 36k. This is an extremely lucrative sector and you can earn a lot of £ really fast if you have the talent and motivation. Have you been sleeping for the last decade or...?

Nice humblebrag. Didnt he say he dropped out of uni and went on to study a different degree?
Just tell him to **** off. You shouldn't be taking those comments.

Even if you're behind than the rest by a year or two doesn't mean your uncle should demotivate you. It's sad to see that people are such imbeciles at times that they demotivate others for no damn reason. Ignore his idiotic comments and focus on your career.You should ignore any unnecessary criticism given by people,be it your uncle or anyone else. I wish you good luck for your interview and hope it's successful! :smile:
To be honest, you ARE behind, quite a lot. I'm younger than you, started University at 21, and already did a year in my first developer job at 30k, and moved onto another role for 36k. This is an extremely lucrative sector and you can earn a lot of £ really fast if you have the talent and motivation. Have you been sleeping for the last decade or...?

Life isn't a race and if it is whats the prize,death?
Different people have different goals and are on different paths anyway.

Do what makes you happy. You uncle sounds like a tw*t.
Wtf is that picture man? You scared the **** out of me :rofl:

loool
hahahahahaha :wink:
:rofl:
Original post by TheProphetsPath
loool
hahahahahaha :wink:
:rofl:

That avatar tho. Creep asf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
That avatar tho. Creep asf.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i mad for my friend to celebrate our friendship :love:

Join the club, I always feel like I lag behind in life too, despite my family insisting I'm not. :sad:
I don't think that there is such a thing as being behind. Being behind what exactly? ? There's no rulebook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending