The Student Room Group

I've dropped my 4th AS, can I still get into medical school?

I'm in Year 12, and at the beginning of the year I started with Chemistry, Maths, Biology and English Literature at A-Level. I was predicted AAAA at AS and each subject teacher gave me a target grade of A* at A-Level. I've decided however to drop English Literature, as I found it the hardest, it was taking up most of my time and I felt I would do a lot better in my other subjects if I didn't have to do English anymore, specifically Chemistry as I found I had no time to do the extra work required for the high grades I'm targeted. Therefore, at the end of Year 13 I will only have 3 A-Levels and no additional AS. I am doing the EPQ which I hope to get an A* in, however I've heard that this is not considered an equivalent to a 4th AS (even though its worth more UCAS points ???) and I'm doing Gold DofE (I've done the other 2.) I also had no spare time to factor in work experience which I know is hugely important, so with additional time I thought I'd be able to focus more on getting other achievements and experience which might help me stand out from others at competitive Universities.
I want to do Medicine, and my top 4 universities were UCL, Imperial, Kings College London and Edinburgh, however Kings states it prefers a 4th AS, as does Edinburgh, and I've read that Imperial does too, meaning I might have to reconsider 3 choices... will a good EPQ and 3 A*s at A-Level still stand me in chance of a place or should I not bother applying to those and pick other universities that don't require a 4th AS?
I really disliked English but now I'm panicking in case I've made the wrong decision, even though I feel it will actually benefit me more in the long run ??? My top choice is UCL so I could just work really hard to get in there as that doesn't require an AS ?
It will literally make no difference, as far as i'm aware only Barts considers extra qualifications. Most schools don't even take AS anymore.

Getting work experience/voluntary work is far more important than a 4th AS/EPQ.

Original post by AmieH
I'm in Year 12, and at the beginning of the year I started with Chemistry, Maths, Biology and English Literature at A-Level. I was predicted AAAA at AS and each subject teacher gave me a target grade of A* at A-Level. I've decided however to drop English Literature, as I found it the hardest, it was taking up most of my time and I felt I would do a lot better in my other subjects if I didn't have to do English anymore, specifically Chemistry as I found I had no time to do the extra work required for the high grades I'm targeted. Therefore, at the end of Year 13 I will only have 3 A-Levels and no additional AS. I am doing the EPQ which I hope to get an A* in, however I've heard that this is not considered an equivalent to a 4th AS (even though its worth more UCAS points ???) and I'm doing Gold DofE (I've done the other 2.) I also had no spare time to factor in work experience which I know is hugely important, so with additional time I thought I'd be able to focus more on getting other achievements and experience which might help me stand out from others at competitive Universities.
I want to do Medicine, and my top 4 universities were UCL, Imperial, Kings College London and Edinburgh, however Kings states it prefers a 4th AS, as does Edinburgh, and I've read that Imperial does too, meaning I might have to reconsider 3 choices... will a good EPQ and 3 A*s at A-Level still stand me in chance of a place or should I not bother applying to those and pick other universities that don't require a 4th AS?
I really disliked English but now I'm panicking in case I've made the wrong decision, even though I feel it will actually benefit me more in the long run ??? My top choice is UCL so I could just work really hard to get in there as that doesn't require an AS ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending