The Student Room Group

Advice on getting a re-mark

I got 169/200 for OCR English Literature, which is 11 marks of an A*. Here's my breakdown:
Coursework 52/60 (54=A*)
Drama post 1914 paper 35/40 (36=A*)
Poetry-prose paper 82/100 (90 = A*) TOTAL 169/200 A

I know if i were to get a remark it would be virtually impossible to move up 11 UMS marks right?

However, my teacher was a right b**** to me, and marked my coursework 2 marks of an A*, when I saw other peoples in my class that were clearly worse than mine get near/full marks. I feel if i go to ask for a remark they'll be like 'pah, as if, 11 marks is a lot', and i'm really not in the mood to be embarassed bout one of my results again.

As far as the papers are concerned, i was 1 UMS mark off an A* for the drama paper and 8 for the poetry prose paper, i know that seems like a lot, but raw marks could equate to several UMS marks right?

Sorry if this post was long, but if i want to have a remark, is it possible to get coursework remarked aswell, and if so do you have to pay for each paper u want remarked or the qualification as a whole.

Thanks in advance for any advice people might have, it's been bugging me all day and i don't know whether it would be worth getting a remark, 'cause i know I felt really confident in that exam and was completely shocked at my result, even though an A is still good... but you know?
Reply 1
Dunno if you should. I got A 174\200.
With a breakdown of:
54\60 A* in coursework
88\100 A poetry and prose
32\40 A drama.

I actually thought I got full marks in my drama paper: it went so well with a perfect question. But it may be worth a try? I'm actually 6 marks off an A* so it if went up 6 marks for me in a 40 mark-paper (from 32 to 38), perhaps that is far too optimistic.

I think, in order to get it all marked again, you would have to ask for every unit of the GCSE to be marked (so coursework, drama etc) and that would be expensive. I am unsure though.
Reply 2
Hmm, i dunno now, if i were you i would deffo get a a re-mark, 6 marks is soo close! But then again, you just don't know, I feel kinda silly for thinking mine could move up 11 marks! But i've heard stories that it can happen, so i don't know.
Reply 3
Well, looking at your brilliant GCSE results, another A* would be great. I might get some guidance about my GCSE in english literature. Who knows? another A* would be desireable, but then again, I don't want to get a B and lose my money.
Reply 4
nickobicko
Well, looking at your brilliant GCSE results, another A* would be great. I might get some guidance about my GCSE in english literature. Who knows? another A* would be desireable, but then again, I don't want to get a B and lose my money.

I know, i'd be gutted slash so embarassed if it were to go down, but at the same time, i can't help but feel optimistic. And yeah, i'm proud to get an A, but I know i deserved better, and by looking at the grade boundaries on the OCR website, i really don't see how i could have lost that many marks.
Reply 5
are they current grade boundaries for this year?^
If so, can you post the link?-Danke.

Good luck if you do decide to have it remarked though. I guess 160\200 is an A, so if you have it remarked, it will be unlikely you'll go down a grade. But if it's possible to go up 11 marks, it may also be possible to drop 11 marks...(being realistic, not harsh in anyway :smile: )
Reply 6
nickobicko
are they current grade boundaries for this year?^
If so, can you post the link?-Danke.

Good luck if you do decide to have it remarked though. I guess 160\200 is an A, so if you have it remarked, it will be unlikely you'll go down a grade. But if it's possible to go up 11 marks, it may also be possible to drop 11 marks...(being realistic, not harsh in anyway :smile: )

I know, if I go up 11 i'll be so happy, but its easy to go down by 9:confused: .

Anyways yeah, here are the grade boundaries for the june 2007 english lit exam, u did do OCR right? you have to scroll down to like the third from last page to get to all the individual unit boundaries, http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/past_question_papers_mark_schemes_and_materials/GCSE_English_Literature_Mark_Scheme_June_2007.pdf
Reply 7
hbk91
Yeah I got 177/200. I'm quite upset about it but I don't know whether or not its worth getting remarked. I got 57/60 for c/w, 40/40 for drama post, and 80/100 for final terminal paper. 3 marks off an A*. The trouble is that I'm moving to a new school to do my A-Levels and I don't know if it's worth the hassle to get a remark through my old school.

3 marks! that's really close. I would get a re-mark if mine were that close, but if you sort it all out now, it could be over before you start your new school.
Reply 8
i got a total of 179/200 UMS marks on my GCSE eng lit paper, and got an A. Am i right in thinking this is 1UMS mark away from an A*??

i got 54/60(a*) in coursework, 97/100(a*) on the poetry and prose pre1914, and 28/40 (b)on drama pre 1914.

im guessing its the b thats got me down a grade. do you think it's worth getting it remarked? i thought my poetry paper was worse than my shakespeare and if im right, i'm 1 UMS mark away from an A*... very confused, and slightly annoyed

please help. many thanks
It might be well worth getting the drama per 1914 remarked (if you don't mind possibly wasting the fee) as you only need one more mark. There is practically no chance you could be marked down to a B from the position you are in.

Latest