The Student Room Group

Analysis on Series

Got two questions I'd like to get checked, thank you.

Capture.PNG

B2: Since i=1ai\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} a_i diverges to infinity, then the partial sum, (sn)(s_n), also diverges to infinity where (sn)=i=1nai\displaystyle (s_n)=\sum_{i=1}^n a_i

By the constant multiple rule for sequences, c(sn)c\cdot (s_n) also diverges for c>0c>0 therefore c(sn)=ci=1nai=i=1ncai\displaystyle c\cdot (s_n) = c\sum_{i=1}^n a_i = \sum_{i=1}^n c \cdot a_i diverges therefore i=1cai\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} ca_i diverges.

However, the const multiple rule was covered on convergent sequences and was not proven for divergent ones in my module - it seems intuitively correct but 1) I'm not sure how I would go about proving it if required, and 2) I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct approach to use this.

B4: (an)=(3x)nn2(a_n)=\frac{(3x)^n}{n^2} and the ratio test would be:

an+1an=(3x)n+1(n+1)2n2(3x)n=3x(3x)nn2+2n+1n2(3x)n=3xn2n2+2n+1=3x1+2n+1n2\displaystyle \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=\frac{(3x)^{n+1}}{(n+1)^2} \cdot \frac{n^2}{(3x)^n} =\frac{3x\cdot (3x)^n}{n^2+2n+1}\cdot \frac{n^2}{(3x)^n}=\frac{3x\cdot n^2}{n^2+2n+1}=\frac{3x}{1+\frac{2}{n}+\frac{1}{n^2}}

Now as nn\rightarrow \infty we get an+1an=3x\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n}=3x and we want the series to converge therefore this limit must be less than 1.

We get 03x<10x<130\leq 3x < 1 \Rightarrow 0\leq x < \frac{1}{3}
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by RDKGames
Got two questions I'd like to get checked, thank you.

Capture.PNG

B2: Since i=1ai\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} a_i diverges to infinity, then the partial sum, (sn)(s_n), also diverges to infinity where (sn)=i=1nai\displaystyle (s_n)=\sum_{i=1}^n a_i

By the constant multiple rule for sequences, c(sn)c\cdot (s_n) also diverges for c>0c>0 therefore c(sn)=ci=1nai=i=1ncai\displaystyle c\cdot (s_n) = c\sum_{i=1}^n a_i = \sum_{i=1}^n c \cdot a_i diverges therefore i=1cai\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} ca_i diverges.

However, the const multiple rule was covered on convergent sequences and was not proven for divergent ones in my module - it seems intuitively correct but 1) I'm not sure how I would go about proving it if required, and 2) I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct approach to use this.

For the first, you can consider a definition of a divergent sequence, KR+, N(K)N\forall K \in \mathbb{R}^{+}, \ \exists N(K) \in \mathbb{N} such that nN,   sn>K\forall n \geq N, \ \ \ |s_n| > K.
From here it's easy enough to get your result.

The second looks OK, though I've not checked it.
You've actually missed the case with x=13x=\frac{1}{3} which is also convergent - this is the Basel problem.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joostan

You've actually missed the case with x=13x=\frac{1}{3} which is also convergent - this is the Basel problem.

That doesn't follow from the ratio test though.
Reply 3
Original post by atsruser
That doesn't follow from the ratio test though.

True, but the question asks you to find values for which it converges. . .
Besides, if memory serves, isn't the ratio test is inconclusive if the ratio is 1, and in the interest of being thorough, one ought to check this case separately?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by joostan
For the first, you can consider a definition of a divergent sequence, KR+, N(K)N\forall K \in \mathbb{R}^{+}, \ \exists N(K) \in \mathbb{N} such that nN,   sn>K\forall n \geq N, \ \ \ |s_n| > K.
From here it's easy enough to get your result.

Ah thank you - I got the proof for the const. mult. rule from that as required.

I'm unsure about x=13x=\frac{1}{3} though as the test is inconclusive but I can see where you're coming from, and it works out by plugging it back through.
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
Ah thank you - I got the proof for the const. mult. rule from that as required.

I'm unsure about x=13x=\frac{1}{3} though as the test is inconclusive but I can see where you're coming from, and it works out by plugging it back through.

No problem :smile:

Yeah. Personally, I would include the additional case, especially as it is a well known result and isn't tricky to prove; but I guess there is some ambiguity in the phrasing of the question.
Reply 6
It's not hard to do the Basel problem convergence, simply compare it to 1+n>11n(n1)\displaystyle 1 + \sum_{n>1} \frac{1}{n(n-1)} which telescopes.
Original post by joostan
True, but the question asks you to find values for which it converges. . .

Well, the question is: "Use the ratio test to establish for which values of x >=0 the series <blah > converges".

So it implies to my mind that only the results from the ratio test are required. However, the wording is a bit off, I'd say, since the ratio test can't in fact establish what is being asked. I'd prefer it to be something like: "For which values of x>=0 does the ratio test allow us to conclude that the series <blah> converges".

Besides, if memory serves, isn't the ratio test is inconclusive if the ratio is 1, and in the interest of being thorough, one ought to check this case separately?

To me, the wording of the question suggests that thoroughness is not required.

Quick Reply

Latest