The Student Room Group

How do people have high UCAS Tariffs?

I'e seen people with 615 ucas points, how?

What could I do to get a very high ucas tariff?
:bump::bump:
Good grades help.
Original post by sfaraj

Loads of subjects and random extra things like music grades got me 1050 UCAS points lol.

The tip is to pick lots of subjects you are good at that are closely linked - e.g. if you are good at maths, then doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics is a lot less work than doing say French, History and Maths since the first combination re-uses a lot of core skills and knowledge whereas the second combination includes very unrelated subjects with little cross-over. Admittedly this is a lot easier to do in the sciences than in essay based subjects, since essay based subjects tend to involve a fair amount of coursework throughout the year.

Also, taking extra random easy subjects like General Studies and Critical Thinking where you are basically guaranteed a good grade just for showing up to the exam, but hardly have to any work all year. Although most universities won't count these grades when looking at your application so I wouldn't rely on this method...
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Loads of subjects and random extra things like music grades got me 1050 UCAS points lol.

The tip is to pick lots of subjects you are good at that are closely linked - e.g. if you are good at maths, then doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics is a lot less work than doing say French, History and Maths since the first combination re-uses a lot of core skills and knowledge whereas the second combination includes very unrelated subjects with little cross-over. Admittedly this is a lot easier to do in the sciences than in essay based subjects, since essay based subjects tend to involve a fair amount of coursework throughout the year.

Also, taking extra random easy subjects like General Studies and Critical Thinking where you are basically guaranteed a good grade just for showing up to the exam, but hardly have to any work all year. Although most universities won't count these grades when looking at your application so I wouldn't rely on this method...

how do you do extra subjects? i just do chem, psychology, geog maths and epq (and bio AS and arabic-As/A-level)
Original post by sfaraj
how do you do extra subjects? i just do chem, psychology, geog maths and epq (and bio AS and arabic-As/A-level)

Just ask your school
Original post by sfaraj

Under the old tariff method an A* at A level was 140 tariff points. So A*A*A*A* would bring you to 560 - add in an AS level or an EPQ or music qualifications etc etc and it wasn't unknown to get up to 600+points.

Under the new tariff A*A*A*A* would only amount to 224 points.
Original post by PQ
Under the old tariff method an A* at A level was 140 tariff points. So A*A*A*A* would bring you to 560 - add in an AS level or an EPQ or music qualifications etc etc and it wasn't unknown to get up to 600+points.

Under the new tariff A*A*A*A* would only amount to 224 points.

ahh so does that mean that it will be harder/ less likely to get 1000+ UCAS Tariffs?
Original post by sfaraj
ahh so does that mean that it will be harder/ less likely to get 1000+ UCAS Tariffs?

To get 1000+ in old tariff you needed 7 A* at A level

To get 1000+ in new tariff you would need 18 A* at A level
Original post by sfaraj

Just ask your school :smile: Sounds like you already have more than enough subjects as it is though... UCAS points aren't the main thing to worry about tbh with university applications - most universities instead give offers based on three A level grades (e.g. "ABB in Chemistry, Geography and Maths" or sometimes "200 UCAS points in x y z subjects" etc.). Therefore, doing loads of extra subjects just for the extra UCAS points doesn't really help your university application, in fact spreading yourself too thinly over more than the minimum required number of subjects may cause your grades in each individual one to go down.

Original post by PQ
To get 1000+ in old tariff you needed 7 A* at A level

To get 1000+ in new tariff you would need 18 A* at A level

Oooh, I had no idea they changed the UCAS points tariff recently - so I guess I no longer have over 1000 UCAS points :'(
UPDATE: considering the recent tariff changes, what number of points do you think will be advantageous for a uni requiring 144-200 tariffs (Barts)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending