The Student Room Group

How not to get a good tutor!

Well, once again it's that time of year when many A-level students realise they are not going to get the grades they want without some extra help, and so a lot of them will check out some of the tuition sites. Each year I get as much work as I can handle, and so am more than happy to quickly reject any students I think will mess me around. Here are a few examples of things that get students rejected.

While it's OK for younger kids, reading on a student's profile that they only want to be tutored at home sends the message that the student is too lazy to travel to a tutor, and wants everything handed to them on a plate. Don't put down Home Only! You might be creating a bad impression with a good tutor who is just a few minutes walk from you.

When you make an enquiry do not simply say I'm looking for a maths tutor, what's your availability. Being as terse as this is just plain rude, and indicates that your enquiry isn't that serious. Good tutors can pick and choose who they accept, and will want to know something about you: Y12 or Y13, school attended, and what other A-levels you are taking. Also, tell them, in order of preference, when you are available for tutoring. A busy tutor doesn't want to waste time listing all the slots he has left, especially as the enquiry may well be bogus: another (mediocre) tutor checking out how the competition is doing.

And, most importantly, read the tutor's profile carefully. Getting a tutor is not like buying a pint of milk in the supermarket. Some tutors are far better than any of your school teachers, while others are complete cowboys. On this point, don't be too taken in by references, a lot have been written by friends and relatives, or the student has been offered a free lesson to write a glowing one.

In a way this ties in with the last point. Unless the tutor's profile says they do, don't ask if they offer a free introductory lesson. This is offensive, because it indicates you have doubts about the tutor's ability. Also, if a tutor indicates that students must come to him do not ask if they will tutor you at home. They will not make an exception for you, and all you will do is annoy them, for having wasted their time.

You can ignore all of the above and still find plenty of "tutors" who will be very happy to come to you, and are also dirt cheap. But good tutors can afford to expect to be treated with respect and consideration.
Original post by David Getling
Well, once again it's that time of year when many A-level students realise they are not going to get the grades they want without some extra help, and so a lot of them will check out some of the tuition sites. Each year I get as much work as I can handle, and so am more than happy to quickly reject any students I think will mess me around. Here are a few examples of things that get students rejected.

While it's OK for younger kids, reading on a student's profile that they only want to be tutored at home sends the message that the student is too lazy to travel to a tutor, and wants everything handed to them on a plate. Don't put down Home Only! You might be creating a bad impression with a good tutor who is just a few minutes walk from you.

When you make an enquiry do not simply say I'm looking for a maths tutor, what's your availability. Being as terse as this is just plain rude, and indicates that your enquiry isn't that serious. Good tutors can pick and choose who they accept, and will want to know something about you: Y12 or Y13, school attended, and what other A-levels you are taking. Also, tell them, in order of preference, when you are available for tutoring. A busy tutor doesn't want to waste time listing all the slots he has left, especially as the enquiry may well be bogus: another (mediocre) tutor checking out how the competition is doing.

And, most importantly, read the tutor's profile carefully. Getting a tutor is not like buying a pint of milk in the supermarket. Some tutors are far better than any of your school teachers, while others are complete cowboys. On this point, don't be too taken in by references, a lot have been written by friends and relatives, or the student has been offered a free lesson to write a glowing one.

In a way this ties in with the last point. Unless the tutor's profile says they do, don't ask if they offer a free introductory lesson. This is offensive, because it indicates you have doubts about the tutor's ability. Also, if a tutor indicates that students must come to him do not ask if they will tutor you at home. They will not make an exception for you, and all you will do is annoy them, for having wasted their time.

You can ignore all of the above and still find plenty of "tutors" who will be very happy to come to you, and are also dirt cheap. But good tutors can afford to expect to be treated with respect and consideration.

Whether or not you mean it, this does read really badly. If I were looking for tuition, I wouldn't come to you having read this rant - you sound very intolerant and unsupportive.

Not a great advert, I'm afraid.
Original post by Reality Check
If I were looking for tuition, I wouldn't come to you having read this rant - you sound very intolerant and unsupportive.

Not a great advert, I'm afraid.

It's not an advert; I fill up each year. The point of the post is to help decent, hard-working, and respectful students.

Yes I am intolerant , and unsupportive, but not to good students, regardless of their ability. I have students who come back for a second year, and thank you messages (and cards) from grateful students and their parents. The trouble is that schools and parents put up with an awful lot of crap from students, which givers them a very false sense of entitlement. However, the real world doesn't work like that. A good tutor can make a big difference to a student's grades, but such tutors are few and far between. It therefore makes a lot of sense not to get rejected by them before you even start, or afterwards, by cancelling sessions.

To recap. A good tutor is doing you a favour, not the other way round. He doesn't need your money, because he can be very fussy about who he tutors. There are many "tutors" who will do a dance around you. If that's what's most important to you, fine, but such people are only concerned with getting your money.

I neither want nor need to get any students as a result of this post, and won't be making any further responses to replies. But, sensible (and more mature)students will give thought to what I've said, when they are looking for help.
It's not an advert; I fill up each year. The point of the post is to help decent, hard-working, and respectful students.

Yes I am intolerant , and unsupportive, but not to good students, regardless of their ability. I have students who come back for a second year, and thank you messages (and cards) from grateful students and their parents. The trouble is that schools and parents put up with an awful lot of crap from students, which givers them a very false sense of entitlement. However, the real world doesn't work like that. A good tutor can make a big difference to a student's grades, but such tutors are few and far between. It therefore makes a lot of sense not to get rejected by them before you even start, or afterwards, by cancelling sessions.

To recap. A good tutor is doing you a favour, not the other way round. He doesn't need your money, because he can be very fussy about who he tutors. There are many "tutors" who will do a dance around you. If that's what's most important to you, fine, but such people are only concerned with getting your money.

I neither want nor need to get any students as a result of this post, and won't be making any further responses to replies. But, sensible (and more mature)students will give thought to what I've said, when they are looking for help.

I think most students will ignore this as a ill-considered rant from a tutor who's maybe had his time. Of course you 'won't be responding to any replies' - from your original post it's blatantly obvious that you think you're way above doing anything that pedestrian and mundane!
(edited 7 years ago)
Whilst I understand what you are saying I don't think you delivered it very well. All rather offputting.
Reply 5
To recap. A good tutor is doing you a favour, not the other way round. He doesn't need your money, because he can be very fussy about who he tutors.

I don't know about you, but as a tutor I set my prices to what I feel I ought to be paid for an hour of my time. I'm not doing anyone a favour, I'm getting paid.
Just self-teach man it's less expensive and less hassle and private schooling/private tuition doesn't always work.,
Original post by offhegoes
I don't know about you, but as a tutor I set my prices to what I feel I ought to be paid for an hour of my time. I'm not doing anyone a favour, I'm getting paid.

So basically what you are saying is you don't give a **** as long as you get paid?
Reply 8
Original post by Danny the Geezer
So basically what you are saying is you don't give a **** as long as you get paid?

Not at all, although does it really matter if I'm not emotionally invested?

What I'm saying is I'm under no illusion that I'm doing charity work or helping them out of the goodness of my heart. In other words I'm not, as OP put it, 'doing them a favour'. I'm paid to tutor and I do it well.
Not at all, although does it really matter if I'm not emotionally invested?

What I'm saying is I'm under no illusion that I'm doing charity work or helping them out of the goodness of my heart. In other words I'm not, as OP put it, 'doing them a favour'. I'm paid to tutor and I do it well.

Of course there has to be an element of tutor - student rapport otherwise the "relationship" won't work therefore you will no longer be "paid to tutor".
Reply 10
From personal experience 2 observations
Any tutor which can take you in the middle of the academic year is usually a waste of time.
Any tutor which comes from an agency is usually a waste of time too.
@Danny the Geezer
It's amazing that in just a few posts by two tutors, everything which people are skeptical about regarding private tuition and private tutors has been laid bare. I've never read such entitled, grumpy, put upon posts by 'tutors' whose sole aim seems to be making money out of people with the least inconvenience to them.
Reply 12
Of course there has to be an element of tutor - student rapport otherwise the "relationship" won't work therefore you will no longer be "paid to tutor".

Developing a good rapport is part of what I do, part of what I'm being paid for. Just like someone working in customer services would not say that they are answering questions and their friendly smile is an extra because they care - the smile is part of them doing their job professionally.

I've always had great working relationships with tutees and have often been asked to help with further courses or university help after the initial tuition. But I'm paid to help them get the best results they can, not to make new friends. Which would be a little creepy since most are teenage girls.
Reply 13
@Danny the Geezer
It's amazing that in just a few posts by two tutors, everything which people are skeptical about regarding private tuition and private tutors has been laid bare. I've never read such entitled, grumpy, put upon posts by 'tutors' whose sole aim seems to be making money out of people with the least inconvenience to them.

Again, what do you want tutors to do? I'm not aligning my viewpoint with OP's - in fact I posted to make a counterpoint - but ultimately tutoring is a job.

Do you start getting all uptight at waiting staff only serving you because they're paid to?
@Danny the Geezer

Yes I got exactly the impression I got.
Again, what do you want tutors to do? I'm not aligning my viewpoint with OP's - in fact I posted to make a counterpoint - but ultimately tutoring is a job.

Do you start getting all uptight at waiting staff only serving you because they're paid to?

No but you're not getting what we are saying - yes, it's a job, a transaction etc; but every business relationship has to have a degree of rapport otherwise it'll fall flat. So, you can't just take a person's money (irrespective of the standard of service you provide) and not be warm and friendly to said student - that's what you call bad, borderline unscrupulous, business.
Reply 16
No but you're not getting what we are saying - yes, it's a job, a transaction etc; but every business relationship has to have a degree of rapport otherwise it'll fall flat. So, you can't just take a person's money (irrespective of the standard of service you provide) and not be warm and friendly to said student - that's what you call bad, borderline unscrupulous, business.

Have you even read my replies? I've already said I see developing a rapport as important, and I make the effort to do it with all of my tutees, in part because it is my job to do so.

I really don't understand why you seem to think I either don't do that or don't see it as part of the job.

Let me repeat: I do the job I'm paid to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending