The Student Room Group

Is further mathematics hard?

I am currently choosing my A-levels and want to know if further maths is hard.
its the best a level
Original post by Clovi129

yup, but if you good at maths you should be able to hack it
Reply 3
Original post by will'o'wisp
yup, but if you good at maths you should be able to hack it

Thank you :smile:
It's not hard in comparison to core maths, it's just more in depth maths. I personally find a module from core maths more challenging than all modules in FM. If you like maths then I recommend it.
Thank you :smile:

Basically doing maths double the speed everyone else and still getting just as good marks as ppl doing normal maths
Reply 6
Original post by will'o'wisp
Basically doing maths double the speed everyone else and still getting just as good marks as ppl doing normal maths

Is there more homework/independent study than normal maths?
Reply 7
Yes, it's not easy to say the least. Further mathmatics (at my school) is very demanding to even get a place. You need atleast an A or A* in gcse maths and a A/ A* in gcse further
Reply 8
Original post by JustasB
It's not hard in comparison to core maths, it's just more in depth maths. I personally find a module from core maths more challenging than all modules in FM. If you like maths then I recommend it.

Thank you
Is there more homework/independent study than normal maths?

probably but u should have "double" the time to learn and understand the stuff because you u have double the periods with maths teachers

Do you know which exam board you'd be doing?

At first, it seems quite overwhelming because a large proportion of your timetable will be maths. A lot of your exams will also be maths as it's 6 modules in year 12 and year 13. Same goes with the proportion of homework time you spend doing maths compared to other subjects. But if you enjoy the subject and you're good at it, that's not really a problem and you don't really feel like it's too much. But if that doesn't sound like something you'll enjoy, probably don't take it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Interstellar3
Do you know which exam board you'd be doing?

At first, it seems quite overwhelming because a large proportion of your timetable will be maths. A lot of your exams will also be maths as it's 6 modules in year 12 and year 13. Same goes with the proportion of homework time you spend doing maths compared to other subjects. But if you enjoy the subject and you're good at it, that's not really a problem and you don't really feel like it's too much. But if that doesn't sound like something you'll enjoy, probably don't take it.

I don't know what exam board it is yet but i really enjoy maths and i am quite good at it so i'm definitely considering it.:smile:
I don't know what exam board it is yet but i really enjoy maths and i am quite good at it so i'm definitely considering it.:smile:
In that case, you should definitely be fine. Yes, it does require work, but what A-Level doesn't?
If you're doing well at maths and enjoying it you should enjoy further maths. You need to put the work in though, and be ready for things to get harder as you get further on - I've found the jump to upper sixth further maths fairly tricky, but enjoyable and interesting.
Maths + further maths combo is fairly easy imo, especially at AS
Ya it is really hard but you should be okay if you're good at maths and you like maths :smile:
it is easy, if you're einstein.
Reply 17
To the normal human, yes. To someone who loves maths, it's just more maths. It's just formulas and techniques which can all be mastered through practice. With maths the amount of time you put in = your grade. If that equation doesn't work, there's something inefficient with the time your putting in

Quick Reply

Latest