The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford MSt Medieval History with 2:1 (66%) and mitigating circumstances - chances?

Hello all!

I graduated from KCL in 2014 with a 2:1 (66%) with a BA History, and am considering applying to the Oxford MSt Medieval History course for 2017 entry.

I wondered what you guys thought of my chances of being accepted with 66% in my BA. Unfortunately, my grades suffered due to a very close call in terms of my health in the second year of university, and parental illness during the first and final year of my BA. I scored 69% in my dissertation but struggled to get a first, which I think I was certainly capable of, but just a victim of circumstance.

I joined the History department at KCL in September 2015 part-time on their Medieval History MA, but had to drop out due to financial difficulties supporting myself and studying at the same time. I'm now in a much better position to fund my studies to return full-time for a year without having to work alongside.

What do you think my chances are of being accepted to Oxford? My referees from King's will, no doubt, provide me with good references, and will be able to testify to the extenuating circumstances during my BA. What about dropping out of my MA at King's, should I mention this in my application to Oxford, or anywhere else, in fact?

Thanks for all your help!
Don't mention King's.

The places to applicants ratio is about 1:3 but they will send more offers than places so you will only be needing to beat around 1-1.5 other people for a place. There's little use in thinking about it though - all you can do is apply and see what happens. Make sure your referees mention the mitigating circumstances and write a good statement of interest which isn't generic; particularly emphasising your desire to pursue the doctorate/academia.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending