The Student Room Group

English retake.. can I?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay basically, I was predicted A* in English Lit. I got A* for allllll my coursework, but I had an awful exam. In short, I pretty much missed the last question which obviously knocked a lot of marks off and I ended up with a B, a few marks off an A.. my teacher said should I have had time to answer the question (I screwed the timing up due to sheer panic.. I wasn't very great with exams before) I would have easily got an A*. She said not to worry as I got an A* in language which 1) is more difficult to get an A* in than lit and 2) shows my ability for english very clearly as I got welllllll over the cut off mark for an A*. However, being the perfectionist I am (I really can't help it, I swear) I can't help but feel so so let down at the B. I have to retake maths in sixth form as I got a D, but could I retake the lit exam without going to the classes? If I ask to study the same books/poems as I studied last year, could I just take the resit in November? I'll be taking on four AS levels, spanish GCSE and a 6 week course in maths retake, so I won't have time for any lessons.

Thanks a lot, sorry for the essay! I hope everyone did well! :]
Reply 1
Anyyyyybody?
If your teacher thinks you are fit to retake it in November without extra teaching time, then yes you can. Just ask your teacher to enter you.
Reply 3
Xx Tomásíona - Mháire xX
If your teacher thinks you are fit to retake it in November without extra teaching time, then yes you can. Just ask your teacher to enter you.

Hi, thanks for replying!
I don't have a teacher, as you put it. I have a form tutor, but I am yet to meet her.

So people do retake exams without teaching time? Can you request to study the same material?
her-own-wings
Hi, thanks for replying!
I don't have a teacher, as you put it. I have a form tutor, but I am yet to meet her.

So people do retake exams without teaching time? Can you request to study the same material?

Well if you're going to a new college then I'd actually ask your exams officer to place you as a private candidate and take your results slip in so they can get the correct code for your subject. Yes you can study the same materials if you give them the correct code, but this will mean you will have to pay for your resit as you may not be studying the same exam board or indeed option as the college.
Reply 5
Xx Tomásíona - Mháire xX
Well if you're going to a new college then I'd actually ask your exams officer to place you as a private candidate and take your results slip in so they can get the correct code for your subject. Yes you can study the same materials if you give them the correct code, but this will mean you will have to pay for your resit as you may not be studying the same exam board or indeed option as the college.

Ahh I see. I'll ask on enrolment day. Thankyou!
you should really ring your school, they may enter you!
JamieH
you should really ring your school, they may enter you!

She's going to a new college, her old school, as far as I can recall cannot enter her.
her-own-wings
Ahh I see. I'll ask on enrolment day. Thankyou!

They should allow you to, as long as you have the materials that you studied from etc, you should be fine :smile:
Reply 9
Ok so my enrolment at college is on wed, what do I need to say to my personal tutor to ensure I can take the exam, do the same texts but not have to have lessons?
her-own-wings
Ok so my enrolment at college is on wed, what do I need to say to my personal tutor to ensure I can take the exam, do the same texts but not have to have lessons?

Sometihng along those lines yes. Convince them enough that you can re-take your english exam without the additional classes etc and see how it goes from there :smile: good luck :smile:
Reply 11
Thanks a lot. :]

Latest