The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
As someone said earlier you should try and work hard all year.i did 6 subjects last year and i managed 4 A's and 2 B's if i had done more revision and put in a bit more effort i could have got the 6 A's i was searching for.
kellywellydoodle
I am doin biology(AQA), chemistry(AQA), maths(OCR MEI maths), english literature(AQA) and music(OCR) for A level AND our school makes us do general studies and critical thinking!

I want to do medicine...so ideally I need straight A's...any advice from ppl who have done a ridiculous number of A levels/ got straight As themselves??

Is getting straight As achievable/ realistic?

Thanks in advance,

K xxx

I personally would actually cut that down to maybe your two science subjects and indeed maths. That is a ridiculous amount of work to do.

With that amount of exams etc straight A's isn't realistic unless you are an absolute genius. It could be achieveable, but I'm also saying to think how your mental state could cope with this amount of pressure. Please do rethink your options carefully. If medicine is what you really want to do, then choose wisely and fill your Personal statement with good quality work experience in the field of medicine. Get yourself a weekend placement for 6 weeks maybe at the local hospital etc, seeing what goes on and talking to doctors so you can figure out what field you evenutally want to venture into.
The thing is I too worked my ass off with past papers and got B's, how do you get the excellent grade, particularly in science/english language?
Botticello
The thing is I too worked my ass off with past papers and got B's, how do you get the excellent grade, particularly in science/english language?

By dropping a subject or two and giving yourself the chance to get three As.
Unless you are either prodigiously talented or do several quite similar subjects, getting more than three As is going to be a stretch for anyone. Of course it's possible, but not recommended. I really don't think doing Critical Thinking AND General Studies is wise; the window before the exams in which you can take in information having studied it once already and at the same time still recall it when you sit down in the exam hall is brief indeed - unnecessary subjects make it even trickier to work out your schedule.

At AS I got AAAAA because if you look in my signature, all of my subjects were very similar in the exam technique required. The stuff that wasn't duplicated in other subjects (technical stuff in English Language, sciencey bits in Geography) I gave some extra time to, and made it through alright.

I am quite certain that had my range of subjects been broader I would not have been able to produce those grades as easily, if at all.
sugar_cane
Don't leave it to the last minute. GS and CT are usually ones you don't have to necessarily revise for...
But as said before, concentrate on the maths and sciences!!

Ahem... only one person in my school got an A in critical thinking AS. True for general studies, though.

Latest