The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

fblade
Sometimes if the course isn't that much in demand, and your predicted grades are BBC/BCC they might give you an offer.

thanks for the reply, the course im interested in is biomedical science at UCL and its very competitive so i'll try to get predicited ABB to make the uni know i'm caplable of getting a BBB.

also about Gap year issue, im still undecided because if i do a gap year i'd want to go abraod to Japan or china but i'd have to do some volunteering relevent to my degree choice (e.g. hospital work abroad) however volunteering abroad has been getting some bad press recently so i dont know if its a good idea.:confused:
Reply 21
goldenGAZE
also about Gap year issue, im still undecided because if i do a gap year i'd want to go abraod to Japan or china but i'd have to do some volunteering relevent to my degree choice (e.g. hospital work abroad) however volunteering abroad has been getting some bad press recently so i dont know if its a good idea.:confused:

Don't believe everything the media tells you. I'm still undecided on the volunteer issue personally but I think if that's what you want to do, go for it - just make sure you research who you're going with/what you're doing/pricings carefully.

I've heard a lot of positive views on this company, which has a medical placement in China:

Teaching abroad
OMG thank you soo much for the info on the company, it looks AMAZING!! now i really want a gap year:biggrin:
Just wondering say if you get 4 As at A2 in Bio Chem Psych and Gen Studies and you finished them in 2 yrs but u resat some modules and your GCSEs are 2 A* 5 As 4 Bs
you do well in the BMAT and you have a good PS and reference
would it be worth applying to Cambridge and is there a good chance of getting in?
Reply 24
Just to stick my nose in, sorry. I did exactly the same thing last year, reapplied because I didn't like my offers at the last minute. I took the gap year, it all worked out brilliantly and was the best thing I ever did, despite the cold feet at the beginning.

Best of luck to everyone, and congratulations for having the courage to back out and try again for what you really want!
ice_cube, ive pm'd you as im in a tricky situation & it sounds like you have been there...
im reapplying because my a2 results werent good enough for my course abb... i want to apply for medicine which is aab!

i need to resit some modules in jan and maybe june to knock them up to aaa!

im planning on working to earn money for uni and hopefully 6 weeks in china in july :biggrin:
Reply 27
I'm reapplying because I didn't get the offers I wanted, and plus I was planning a gap year anyway!! To be honest though, I feel a lot more confident 2nd time round...!! I'm aupairing, first out in Dubai for 5 months, then I'm off to Sydney for another 5 to work with a family out there...can't wait!
Reply 28
^ Lucky! I want to go to Dubai pretty badly but i'd be stuck with nothing to do seeing as how it's not very likely that a firm there will give me a placement.. :P

I'm taking a unplanned gap year - Got ABB at Alevels and missed out on my warwick offer. My heart was just in it to go to Nottingham, and so i'm going to bring my maths upto an A [as i only just missed it], apply again and see how it goes because atleast i can say i tried.

At the moment i'm still deciding between doing AAT Intermediate/Technician or apply for work experience at various firms here and then go to China for an accounting internship with Projects Abroad.
i might apply this year, but only to biomed/bio chem courses as i haven't been predicted good enough grades for medicine

but if i do get good grades in august, then i think i'll release my offer, take a gap year and reapply for medicine

if only i'd revised for those as's...life would be on track...grr
Reply 30
I'm reapplying this year, mostly due to my own indecisiveness/ inability to organise anything lol.

I got grades of AAAB at A2 level and could have accepted my place at Exeter to do English w/Film Studies, but just didn't really want to do it in the end, would much rather do straight English. They really messed me about aswell and gave me off-campus accommodation :mad:

Another reason is because I did surprisingly well in English Lang+Lit, I got a letter from AQA with my results saying I was one of the top five candidates from the syllabus (583/600):biggrin:. So I might try to use that to get into a better Uni, maybe even Oxbridge:s-smilie:

Anyway I have no idea what to do in my gap year. I really want to learn a new language and live abroad so I'm thinking of working for a few months to save up and then go to a language school in Italy for a 2/3 months to learn Italian in the Spring/ Summer.

Just worrying about my peronal statement and UCAS stuff now though....again lol.
Reply 31
I changed my mind from Eco to Maths during last year as I absolutely detested A2 Economics. Got AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics & Eco) and applying for a Maths 08 entry.
I think I will stay at home till December buming around :frown: coz I could not sort not anything good, but also prepare for the uni application (Oxford test, uni interviews).
I am planning to go away from February 08 for about 6 months on a European Voluntary Service, in which the EU pays for all expenses for the volunteering, and as I want to learn German, I will head off to Germany without any cost :biggrin:
Heylop, I'm also reapplying this year, because I didn't get any offers I wanted last year and my results were good so i'm having another stab at it. I'm planning to get a job on my gap year and also look around for work experience related to my course (music). however, I'm finding it hard to actually get a response from any of the places I'm asking for work experience (orchestras, theatre companies, opera companies e.t.c.), so thats a bit worrying... But I'm also starting an open uni course in german in november and might apply for Camp America... The rest of the time I'm going to spend just reaidng up on my subject and making sure my personal statement etc is spot on
Stressedxx
Just wondering say if you get 4 As at A2 in Bio Chem Psych and Gen Studies and you finished them in 2 yrs but u resat some modules and your GCSEs are 2 A* 5 As 4 Bs
you do well in the BMAT and you have a good PS and reference
would it be worth applying to Cambridge and is there a good chance of getting in?

of course?!?
Reply 34
Ah, a few people that missed out on medicine here then :smile:

Despite getting AAAB at AS I didn't get any offers to study medicine this year, so I'm working until Christmas, flying to Canada in January to do a ski instructors course for three months (www.nonstopski.com) I'll get back early April, spend a few weeks at home and then fly out to Mexico to do a 3 month placement in the Red Cross hospital at Puerto Vallarta.

I'll get back with about 4 weeks to chill out before I (hopefully) start my medical course somewhere :smile:

Already got my UCAS form finished, I'm going to start pestering the universities I've applied to to give me an interview before christmas once I get my application number :smile:

Latest