The Student Room Group

Personal Statement on Gap Year

Hi, I'm on a gap year atm, having just left my previous university as I hated it, and was under performing. I was just wondering, in regards to my personal statement, I got all 5 of my uni offers last year so i figured i could just reuse it again, but i called up one of my unis that i'm applying to, to confirm this, and they said i have to mention that i have studied at another university before as well as all the things that i will be doing in my gap year. I have no idea what to write on this because i won't be doing that much other than working.

Also, how much should i write on this? Should I keep the majority of my previous personal statement the same and just add a few things on what i'm doing on my gap year? Do i have to mention why i'm taking a gap year as well?

Thanks
Original post by tshombe123
Hi, I'm on a gap year atm, having just left my previous university as I hated it, and was under performing. I was just wondering, in regards to my personal statement, I got all 5 of my uni offers last year so i figured i could just reuse it again, but i called up one of my unis that i'm applying to, to confirm this, and they said i have to mention that i have studied at another university before as well as all the things that i will be doing in my gap year. I have no idea what to write on this because i won't be doing that much other than working.

Also, how much should i write on this? Should I keep the majority of my previous personal statement the same and just add a few things on what i'm doing on my gap year? Do i have to mention why i'm taking a gap year as well?

Thanks

I would add in a small paragraph on your gap year plans, perhaps mention that you started at the other university but realised that the new course/ a different uni would be more suitable (be positive, don't say anything negative about the uni). Also discuss your gap year plans, for example if you have a job, plan to go travelling, are volunteering or have some work experience lined up. They will just want to know you're not lazing at home watching TV all year :smile:
Once you've written your final draft, you can use the personal statement review service (completely free!) of TSR and we can give you some feedback and suggestions if you'd like :smile:
Reply 3
Great, thanks for the advice. So I should just keep the majority of my previous personal statement, then just add that small paragraph about my gap year plans? Seems simple enough

Although i'm applying for different courses at different unis. One of them is Computing with management (Which is the uni that i want to go to and will get accepted because I already met the offer and got accepted last time) and the others are straight computer science. Although the courses are very similar how can i tailor the personal statement for both of them?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending