The Student Room Group

Trinity College Dublin or Warwick?

I got accepted to study PPE at Warwick and Business, Economics and Social Studies at Trinity College Dublin. Both are good universities and until recently i was certain that i would choose to go to Warwick. But now i am curious to see what other people think about Trinity and if in fact i'm making the right choice going to Warwick.

In short, from which uni is the degree going to be of greater value to me? If you know anything about both uni's then i'd appreciate some sort of help in reasserting my decision. Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Warwick is obviously easier to get to, but I think I'd prefer Dublin, purely for the city/atmosphere... as far as reputation goes - I'd put them on par to be honest... I'm not too sure. Warwick is certainly very very good...

But the degree course at Warwick sounds better. Social Studies? What is that?
TCD definitely holds more international prestige if you care about that sort of thing (ie, I'd heard of it pre-TSR), but that course does sound a bit iffy.
Reply 3
Hmmmmm..... true enough about the course - i'm really keen on doing PPE. Even though i'm confused i think i'll go for Warwick - the PPE course is one year less to add to things. Thing is that since i'm part Irish i've been to Dublin many times and visited Trinity. I thought it was a great uni and such ; so that in a sense comforts me more than going to Warwick when i haven't been there (though i am going to visit it in a week). I have family and friends in Dublin, but i wanted to make a fresh start with uni so maybe Warwick would be better. And to be honest, i don't really think that Warwick is easier to get to (if you were talking in terms of getting a place).
Reply 4
To be honest I'd suggest picking the course you like best, because you will be studying it for 3/4 years so it won't matter how nice the uni is if you hate your course.
I've actually had offers from both Warwick and Trinity and have been to both, in fact I work right beside Trinity at the moment. Many people say Warwick is ugly and in the middle of nowhere but I actually really liked the campus, it was modern but at the same time there was plenty of greenery around too, plus it's got an excellent reputation for your degree subjects.
Trinity is very nice too although as you've been I don't need to tell you that.
Anyway if you want to talk with me about it then feel free to send me a message:smile:
Reply 5
Pick the course you like the most but if its just the institutions you would rather go by, undoubtedly I would pick Trinity College :smile:. I think Warwick is over rated. Waits for the rotten tomatoes..............:p:

:tee:
Reply 6
I think Warwick is over rated

I agree.
Reply 7
I get the impression that most of the people that say Warwick is ugly and in the middle of nowhere haven't actually visited the campus...
Reply 8
swallows
I get the impression that most of the people that say Warwick is ugly and in the middle of nowhere haven't actually visited the campus...

Me too. Do you go to Warwick?
Reply 9
Dublin would certainly be a much nicer to place to live in, however Warwick is probably a more prestigious university and a more respected course.

Trinity is the most prestigious university in Ireland, but it is a very small country and Warwick is among the top 15 universities in a medium-sized country.

I would probably recommend going to Warwick, the fact that it is a 3-year course at Warwick and four-year at Trinity should be a big factor, as you could always do a Masters at Trinity after Warwick (or any other university).
Anannya
Pick the course you like the most but if its just the institutions you would rather go by, undoubtedly I would pick Trinity College :smile:. I think Warwick is over rated.

Agreed.
Reply 11
I agree that Warwick is overrated.
Reply 12
Ollie87
I agree that Warwick is overrated.

Why?
I'd also like to know why. I feel that people think it's overrated just because they don't like it. In Politics and IR (which is what I know) it's one of the best in the UK.
Reply 14
People who say it's overrated are probably from unis which aren't as highly rated, and there's a bit of green-eyed monster there...
QUB out-shines TCD in all respects. That is why more than 1/3 of students in QUB are from the Republic of Ireland.

Go for Warwick.
Reply 16
No I don't have any green eyed jealousy for Warwick at all. I just think its overrated thats it. Its just my opinion. :smile:
Oneupthebumdonttellmum
QUB out-shines TCD in all respects. That is why more than 1/3 of students in QUB are from the Republic of Ireland.

Go for Warwick.

:eek: That's absolute *******s. The reason most go to QUB is because TCD's grades are through the roof. Nearly 600 points to get into doing law at TCD, that's at least 5 A levels at a brilliant standard. Also they share a research partnership together as well along with UCD. :rolleyes:
Anannya
No I don't have any green eyed jealousy for Warwick at all. I just think its overrated thats it. Its just my opinion. :smile:

Yes, but why?
Cos it has no history, innit.

Latest

Trending

Trending