The Student Room Group

No idea what to do

So last year I got CDDD in Bio, Chem,i.t and English lit. I have dropped English and have the predicted grades BCC. I want to do optometry in Aston or Cardiff and since their requirements are AAA, I'm not even going to bother applying this year. My GCSES were:1 A in business studies, 5Bs including Maths and English and 3 Cs . My science gcse was CB(I did additional science). Obviously , there will be much better applicants as optometry is quite competitive. I am resitting all of last years exams and am hoping to get all A's.(I have started revising now).I was just wondering if taking a gap year and applying would be okay and whether working as an optical assistant in my gap year would be valuable for my application, what else would be valuable to do in a gap year if not. Also, is there anyway for me to not apply and still get into uni next year?Like clearing on results day if I do get 3 As? I'm really desperate for any help as I don't know what to do in a gap year, and I really don't want to take a gap year but I cant apply anyway because my school is sending off the applications tomorrow.HELP
ps. ik my grades were low, im suprised i dint fail as i didnt revise last year but ive started revising now so im pretty sure ill get the grades i want, can smn pls just answer the actual question plsssss
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
You've brought this on yourself, sir. If you can't score better then D in high school, university isn't for you.
Reply 2
Mate, **** the haters. If you give it your best, you''l get there.
Reply 3
Original post by Suprite

I'm not a hater, I was just being realistic. His grades are not even close to what you need to succeed in a university.
Reply 4
college, not highschool

Original post by skyblue_
You've brought this on yourself, sir. If you can't score better then D in high school, university isn't for you.
Reply 5
thanks
Original post by Suprite
Reply 6
also, the question wasnt, "is university for me?", but thanks for replying

Reply 7
Original post by 12576912
also, the question wasnt, "is university for me?", but thanks for replying

Listen. I had a friend who struggled with grades just like you. Knew him for six months, before he dropped out of university. Those who don't study yet think that you can easily finish a university if you put a lot of work into it. Well no. Universities are extremely difficult. With your grades, I honestly advise you not to waste your money for something you're going to quit. Think about this a bit more regardless of how painful the truth might be. I wish you good luck.
Reply 8
Listen, I dont struggle with grades, i didnt revise last year as i totally underestimated the jump from gcse to A-Level, and i passed them with revising a week before. Im revising now , and i will get those grades. Now do you have any helpful advice on what i actually asked, like can you go through clearing if you havent applied? If not, thanks for your reply, but I dont need luck.

Listen. I had a friend who struggled with grades just like you. Knew him for six months, before he dropped out of university. Those who don't study yet think that you can easily finish a university if you put a lot of work into it. Well no. Universities are extremely difficult. With your grades, I honestly advise you not to waste your money for something you're going to quit. Think about this a bit more regardless of how painful the truth might be. I wish you good luck.
I know you don't want to hear this, but your attitude is rather worrying. If you were passionate about getting to uni, you wouldn't have just wasted your first year. As others have said, if you struggle with A levels, you are more likely to drop out of university. Don't underestimate how difficult it'll be, just like how you underestimated the jump from GCSEs to A levels. I also think that you wanting to take a gap year is a bit dangerous, as it's like you're just putting off university, and from what I can tell from your post, it seems likely you'll lose interest in university all together. (Absolutely nothing wrong with gap years, provided you have something meaningful to do, the funds, and the drive to continue with education afterwards)

Quick Reply

Latest