The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Societies?

Freshers, which societies/sports clubs are you interested in joining when you get to Edinburgh?

I had a look by category, and i think i'll have a look at the humanists, pro evo society, and the snow sports one.

My Granda went on loads of varied expedition things when he was at uni, in a general 'expedition' society, but i cant see one like that :/
GrantMac
Freshers, which societies/sports clubs are you interested in joining when you get to Edinburgh?

I had a look by category, and i think i'll have a look at the humanists, pro evo society, and the snow sports one.

My Granda went on loads of varied expedition things when he was at uni, in a general 'expedition' society, but i cant see one like that :/

For anyone that plays a brass, wind or percusison instrument, the Brass Band and Wind band are two great societies that would definitely be worth joining :smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Thinking Film Society, Ju(i?)-Jitsu and possibly a Judo class to complement that for now. Looking into some of the others soon so I can get an idea of them as well.
pro evo society, football/cricket, music society, choir!
Reply 4
Artemidoros
pro evo society, football/cricket, music society, choir!

See you at the pro evo society :wink:

I was surprised and glad to see one. It's the one game i'm really quite competitive with.
Reply 5
thinking about taking up jujitsu again, maybe kendo and the gaming society maybe more too il see
^So is it a demanding MA? There certainly seems to be a lot of holds and counters to memorise, and you get graded for it. Hope it becomes second nature pretty swiftly.
Reply 7
BloodBrother
^So is it a demanding MA? There certainly seems to be a lot of holds and counters to memorise, and you get graded for it. Hope it becomes second nature pretty swiftly.

have you done any martial arts before? its basically a combination of judo and karate with a few extra's. iv done all three though i only did judo for about a year and karate for a few months because i got bored of the repetition. I did jujitsu when i was younger and was a brown belt when my club closed down, i was never the greatest at the technical side but when your sparring it does become second nature.
Reply 8
Hockey for definite, not really much idea about anything else as that'll keep me fairly busy!
Reply 9
I'd like to join one of the environmental societies, probably the Ecological Society, and get some ideas to take back home. There's not anything on the EUSA site about the Oxfam volunteers, but I've worked with Oxfam before and it's an amazing organization.

The Create Society sounds like a lot of fun, since it is basically dedicated to making or creating anything.
Ac_anon
have you done any martial arts before? its basically a combination of judo and karate with a few extra's. iv done all three though i only did judo for about a year and karate for a few months because i got bored of the repetition. I did jujitsu when i was younger and was a brown belt when my club closed down, i was never the greatest at the technical side but when your sparring it does become second nature.

I did a bit of karate as a kid but I'm a lot more serious now about my passions, and hopefully this will be one of them. Played the game Metal Gear Solid 3? I've got an image of myself being as excellent as the CQC-using characters in that after 4-5 years of JJ and maybe Judo. Nice to have dreams anyway, and also good to get confirmation on the second nature aspect.
Reply 12
lol iv only played metal gear solid 1

i liked judo too, it was fun but there was nobody in my club i could train with properly as im not exactly build for it (tall and thin) so there was nobody in my weight catagory. Im hoping i can still remember a lot it has been a while, but i can still remember bits and pieces of the Japanese terminology

Latest

Trending

Trending