The Student Room Group

Best uni in London to study English Literature?

Hi guys,

I saw that English Literature BA in London is offered in:
Goldsmiths, looks very good :smile:
London Metropolitan
Southbank
Westminster
Royal Holloway not sure If they do this BA
East London university, dunno if it's worth it

I'm gonna study next year the access course to HE in Humanities + GCSE English & Maths. On UCAS I'll put my 4/5 choices of unis but I already wanna get a better idea of what my preferences are

I'm also fascinated by mixing foreign literatures like US, France etc.

What's the best university among these ones to study English Literature BA?

Looking for somebody that talk from their experiences, thanks :smile:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
UCL is hands down the best place in London to study English (it is of the best English departments n the UK). KCL, Royal Holloway (not actually in London, but close by), QMUL, Birkbeck, SOAS and Goldsmiths are all good options too. I would avoid London Met and East London if I were you.

Why are you only applying to universities in London? Apart from UCL, all the best places to study English are outside London.
Original post by Snufkin
UCL is hands down the best place in London to study English (it is of the best English departments n the UK). KCL, Royal Holloway (not actually in London, but close by), QMUL, Birkbeck, SOAS and Goldsmiths are all good options too. I would avoid London Met and East London if I were you.

Why are you only applying to universities in London? Apart from UCL, all the best places to study English are outside London.

in the photo attached of UCL it says application per place 5 :confused:

I'll look into Queen Mary and SOAS better even though I really liked the programme offered by Goldsmiths :smile:

I read reviews of unhappy students on the fb page of East London even saying it's racist etc. I paid a visit to London Met, why don't u suggest them?

What subject do you study and what uni? btw I'm applying just in London because I don't like countryside life lol

Original post by fennec
in the photo attached of UCL it says application per place 5 :confused:

I'll look into Queen Mary and SOAS better even though I really liked the programme offered by Goldsmiths :smile:

I read reviews of unhappy students on the fb page of East London even saying it's racist etc. I paid a visit to London Met, why don't u suggest them?

What subject do you study and what uni? btw I'm applying just in London because I don't like countryside life lol

I'm not sure what you mean by 5 per place. The course in your photo is not English, that is Comparative Literature.

Yes, UCL is oversubscribed, but that isn't a reason not to apply. London Met has a very bad reputation in the UK, I just don't think it’s worth the money. Edinburgh, Oxford, Durham and York are hardly 'the countryside' but they all have very good English programmes too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
I'm not sure what you mean by 5 per place. The course in your photo is not English, that is Comparative Literature.

Yes, UCL is oversubscribed, but that isn't a reason not to apply. London Met has a very bad reputation in the UK, I just don't think it’s worth the money. Edinburgh, Oxford, Durham and York are hardly 'the countryside' but they all have very good English programmes too.

I want to make wise choices when applying on UCAS. I don't have high grades. I don't like living outside of London. I already did in the past and it was very boring for me. Given that I'm gonna spend there 3 years of my life 😐 I want to stay in London

Original post by fennec
I want to make wise choices when applying on UCAS. I don't have high grades. I don't like living outside of London. I already did in the past and it was very boring for me. Given that I'm gonna spend there 3 years of my life 😐 I want to stay in London

Okay, but you don't know what grades you have because you haven't started the Access to HE course yet?
Original post by Snufkin
Okay, but you don't know what grades you have because you haven't started the Access to HE course yet?

Yeah that's right even tho I got this plan. I'm doing GCSE English & Maths then the access course. Of course I'll study really hard to get the highest grades, I'm really motivated for it. The most important thing is that I want to be happy with my university choice, especially my professors 😄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending