The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
started bout a month before the exams, 2hrs a day on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekend days, which I sometimes did at very unsuitable times like in the car on a way to a spurs match, which I continued going to until the last match. Well done everyone tho.
Nice, you deserve you grades Essex lol.

I am ashamed to admit I crammed and got the grades, but learnt absolutely nothing...
Reply 42
In year 10 i did a small amount in the beginning but at the end more.
Mid January - beginning of May: 3 hours every night
May-June 5 hours every night, weekends a little more
Last week of May I did like 9-10 hours everyday.
And i got:

0.5A* 6As 4Bs

I am really depressed all that revision and i got that, pleased with some but others I am gutted about.
Oh well there’s nothing I can do.
toiletpaper8- i feel like i'm in your same position. i crammed and got the grades i needed but feel like i learnt nothing. hopefully it's just a feeling? lol
i didn't revise maths or english lang (it's impossible to do!!) and i got A in maths + A* in lang. i revised my poems SO WELL and got A* in that exam too.

DT i spent 2 days of 6 hours revision to secure an A but that was because my teacher was so **** and hadn't taught us any of the theory- i literally learnt my entire text book off by heart and re-wrote it several times.

i'm trying to think back now hahaha. french i didn't work for 3 years, did no home work for 1 year and barely turned up to any lessons for the last few months..i got a C. with that in mind think what little effort it must require to get a B or an A.

science i read CGP books over a week- it wasn't INTENSE revision it was more or less just easy reading and kind of "finding out" things as opposed to "OMG EXAM STRESS" and then i crammed the night before. i got AA but i'm sure that's because of that ****ing biology paper with the nitrogen cycle! D:

RS i did no revision, apart from in the morning when i sat in the nurse's room reading a CGP revision guide..i got A*

history is my favourite subject and i was so stressed i did A LOT of revision for it. a few days out of study leave (2) and then the night before i spend re-writing notes and making little number patterns and words with the dates/name places (for treaties and hitler's invasions) and got A*

ICT i did no revision and got an A in my exam, A* in coursework!

i can't think of what else i took now :s-smilie: :s-smilie:
Reply 45
A couple of hours every few days or so, then crammed the night before. :biggrin:
Reply 46
Well I crammed for Geo, Re and History. I didn't revise the poems for English. I did not do any revision for maths. I did all my art coursework at the last minute! Like a week before or on the weekend. I did all my coursework the night before.

Basically I dossed my GCSE's away! :redface:
All I know is that I seemed to be working harder when I did my mocks that I did for the real things. I am pleased with the majority of my grades (the main disappointment obviously being the A in Biology), but what really annoys me is the sorts of people who do little revision and get all A*s or something, and the people who don't seem to realise how well they've done by getting all A*s, even if that's what they were predicted.

What I know now is that next year I am going to put so much more effort into the main exams, and do much more work and pick up the smallest details from the syllabus, as (if it's anything like GCSE) that's what's generally picked up on.
Reply 48
I did an hour each night for the mocks, for about three weeks. Chuffed to bits with the marks I recieved for them, that spurred me on to do lots more revision for the proper ones. Glad I did.
Reply 49
Mocks it was just night before stuff or nothing at all for things like English or Maths.

For the real thing I started in the Easter holidays. I ended up going away for the 2 weeks though so I only got to spend 2 hours a day on revision. I also spent 2 hours a day on revision in the weekday when holidays finished but nothing on weekends as there was lots of dance festivals in April/ start of May that I was at all the time so I didn't have time to revise. Around middle of May when study leave started at half term that is when it started to get hardcore. 5 hours a day on average I'd say.

Just do what is right for you. I am a true believer in that GCSEs are not a test of ones intelligence, but ability to work under pressure. A levels are a better test of how clever you are whereas to me GCSEs were more like a race and whoever had the most stamina to cope with the stress would do the best. I did fine with what I did because I'm as chilled as a cucumber over having lots of work and it would take some serious serious workload to get me on the verge of tears.

So basically it is down to the individual. Do what you feel happy with and can cope with. As long as you are coping with the GCSEs you will do well. It's when you begin to lose control it starts to go a bit pear shaped :wink:
purple-girl
but what really annoys me is the sorts of people who do little revision and get all A*s or something

You'd be silly to think there are lots of these people around. I agree, there would be a few people who do virtually no revision and get straight A*s - the majority who get them work very hard - but for some reason they think it's cool to say they didn't. In any case, A-levels will find them out.....
dancingbeth
I'm as chilled as a cucumber over having lots of work and it would take some serious serious workload to get me on the verge of tears.

i couldn't but agree more, dancingbeth. I'm very good at working under pressure and i guess it would take so much more pressure for me to crack. In my opinion, GCSE's are just a way to prepare us for Alevels. They exist to "scare" us so that we (presumably) don't screw up the following year. I procrastinated and did no assignments for 2 years and basically self taught myself every subject (our school is terrible- i gave up on listening in class) and got the grades i needed, hence, i'm happy. however, next year i intend to work more during the actual year. gcse's helped me understand that working regularly is better than cramming it all in one night. I'll probably consume less coffee too, which is not a bad thing :P (pulled way too many allnighters for my art and drama projects)
Reply 52
I did mine a year ago.
I revised about 2 weeks before, spending an uneven amount of time on certain subjects depending on what I liked. I did night before revision in Physics (having not done any work at all that year) and scraped the A because I had 28/30 on my coursework. I revised the night before and morning of my Biology exam, though I possibly deserved this grade more than my Physics because I had worked hard throughout both years on classwork and homework. For Eng Lit I did 3 days before, and was really pleased with my A* because I felt I had put the effort in. Lang/R.E/Maths/French you can't really revise for and I got A*A*AA respectively.

For Geo, Chem and Hist I did more revision, but I think if you work consistently throughout the year you don't really have to revise that much, aslong as your coursework is decent.

And tbh I'm not lying when I say I didn't revise as much as I should have. But I did generally 'underperform' as I got 5A*s and 5As in my mocks, and achieved 6a*s and 4As in my actual exams, slipping off the A* in Bio too. I'll admit I did MUCH more for AS. I'm just lucky that I have a good memory. For GCSE the specification is your bible!

AS and A2s on the other hand are much harder and you do need to do practise papers before.
Reply 53
I'm going into year 11 in a few days, I've just finished going over my year 10 work. I'll be revising about 10-30 minutes a day most days until 2 months before the tests, then 1 hour daily, and then as much as I can in the last week or two. To be honest I'm just scared, I really want all A*s (As would still be nice, except in double award IT since I already got 57/58 in module one I'm hoping for an A*...), but I always seem to mess up! >_<
I started revising around easter for the sciences because I pretty much had to learn everything from scratch. I knew nothing, I've was getting E's, G's and U's in my module tests. Starting early meant that I wasn't panicky before hand but it did mean that for the couple of weeks before I had no science revision to do which somehow made me panicky in itself. For maths I started about a week or so early and for the rest of the subjects I revised the day before. Or in the cases of English Lit,., English, Media and DT I just didn't. They aren't really subjects you can revise for.

(10A*s one A, the A's in chemistry the subject I revised for most!)
Reply 55
Starting revising in Easter holidays for about 2 hours on weekdays, 4-5 on weekends and got 10 A*s.
Reply 56
I only revised the day before and on the morning of each exam and I feel like **** because I got 1 A*, 4 A's and 2 B's and I feel like I could have done a lot better :frown:

Also coming on here makes me feel worse because everyone seems to get all A* and A's
CrystalP
I only revised the day before and on the morning of each exam and I feel like **** because I got 1 A*, 4 A's and 2 B's and I feel like I could have done a lot better :frown:

Also coming on here makes me feel worse because everyone seems to get all A* and A's

Similar to me, 2 A*s, 5 As and 4 Bs (and a U). I only revised either the night before or on the actual morning too.
Reply 58
revised since easter break doin about 3 hours per day during the easter break. then when i went back to school i did about 1/2 hr in evening and 3 hours a day at the weekend and then in study leave i spent about 4-6 hours a day each day. i ended up with 10 a*s and 1 A a result I was very pleased with and thought I deserved after months of hard work!
the night before did it for me... lol but i didnt get grades like half of the ppl on here

Latest