The Student Room Group

Athletics

Scroll to see replies

It's a shame Chambers won't be competing. It'll now take a miracle of mammoth proportions for us to get anyone into the 100m final in Beijing.
Klinsmannic
It's a shame Chambers won't be competing. It'll now take a miracle of mammoth proportions for us to get anyone into the 100m final in Beijing.

Williamson and Edgar have chances. They've both ran under 10.1 which should be good enough for an Olympic final place.

Then theres Montel Douglas who just beat the UK 100m record!

Its all about performing on the day I guess
Montel Douglas :P

In the Athens men's semi final, 2 guys made it through to the final running 10.1 or slower so there's a chance. However, I suspect the standard would have increased since '04 so it'll be a very slim chance imo.
SuperDaz
Exactly Johnny, the BOA seem to be having their cake and eating it. Only enforcing the rules when it suits them. They've picked DC for competitions since he came back from his drugs ban and they had no problem with Ohuruogu coming back to compete. If Dwain had been running 9.8 instead of 10.0 then he might be on the plane :p:

I'm not that bothered tbh. We have quite a few decent young sprinters and I doubt DC really had a chance at a medal, hes bottled it on the big stage before.

The BOA only pick olympic teams. UKA was practically forced into picked chamber for the indoors but he wanst very welcome in european cup team .
Ohuruogu situatioin is different she missed tests,but didnt fail which doesnt constititute a 'serious' doping offence to warrant being banned from olympics. I think she went to court to claim the right to go. Its nothing to do with performace.

Simeon will run sub 10 at olympics! :cool:
Reply 344
Klinsmannic

Unfortunatley true, i cant see any of our guys making the final
Reply 345
Lapis lazuli
The BOA only pick olympic teams. UKA was practically forced into picked chamber for the indoors but he wanst very welcome in european cup team .
Ohuruogu situatioin is different she missed tests,but didnt fail which doesnt constititute a 'serious' doping offence to warrant being banned from olympics. I think she went to court to claim the right to go. Its nothing to do with performace.

Simeon will run sub 10 at olympics! :cool:

She was originally banned by the BOA from future Olympics. She appealed and was successul. Thats the thing that annoys me is that if you are banned then you are banned, if you succesfully appeal than it questions the validity of the ban itself as it says to me there is room for leniency.
Johnni
She was originally banned by the BOA from future Olympics. She appealed and was successul. Thats the thing that annoys me is that if you are banned then you are banned, if you succesfully appeal than it questions the validity of the ban itself as it says to me there is room for leniency.
But there is a difference between failing a drugs test and not actually failing a drugs test which she has never done.

But it's sadening to see the focus of discussion here on one person - someone who has resulted in the loss of medals for the UK in the past.

We are sending around 68 people to the Olympics to compete in atheltics. Let's focus on them. It's one of the biggest athletics teams I've never known for either the World or Olympics (possibly for the Europeans too). So that is in itself something to celebrate.

Dwaine Chambers has had his Olympic chance and blew it. There are 68 others who need our support now and I for one will try to forget about the disgrace Dwain Chambers has brough UK athletics this century and cheer them alone :smile:
Im really looking forward to the 100m. Just need Powell to turn up on the big stage and you have the three quickest runners of all time battling it out

Shame Gay got injured in the 200m trials
Reply 348
Economist
Im really looking forward to the 100m. Just need Powell to turn up on the big stage and you have the three quickest runners of all time battling it out

I so hope Powell does'nt bottle it again. It will be i think one of the all time great finals with as you said 3 men who held the record.
Economist

mate the 100m is gonna be awsome, The two guys from Jamaca and Gay, what a battle, only bad thing is you kinda know who the medals are going to too, just not in what order, cant see anyone else breaking into the top 3..:woo:
Johnni
Unfortunatley true, i cant see any of our guys making the final

ermm, i reckon 10.10 would get you in the final looking at previous finals and how good the athletes are and athough i cant see pickering making it( and this is coimming from a milton keynes AC member) i think williamson and the guy who made 10.06 this year have a chance if there on the top of there game,, no chance of a medal though lol

but...........................the 4 by 100m, me are the past champions, and we are one of the only countrys who train with eachother for it, this means change overs etc are perfect, so athough were not as fast as USA/Jamaca?loads of other places we may still win cause of this..COME ON GREAT BRITAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, and good luck to MILTON KEYNES PAL 18 year old CHRIS CLARK in the 4 by 400m!!!
Reply 351
the big disgrace is that Rick Yates has not been picked for the 400m hurdles when he is 22, has the B Standard and won the trials, no1 is faster than him in britain and he is definately 1 for the future after having a MASSIVE breakthrough this year. and then that Dale Garland who is ranked 19th, yes 19th in Britain is going for the 4x4 when Rick could easily have doubled up!!!! atleast Steeley's goin :smile:
Reply 352
There should be natural 100m sprint, and 100m with performance enhancing drugs if they want to take them. :woo:
PE Crazy
the big disgrace is that Rick Yates has not been picked for the 400m hurdles when he is 22, has the B Standard and won the trials, no1 is faster than him in britain and he is definately 1 for the future after having a MASSIVE breakthrough this year. and then that Dale Garland who is ranked 19th, yes 19th in Britain is going for the 4x4 when Rick could easily have doubled up!!!! atleast Steeley's goin :smile:

Theres a facebook group about this you know:cool:

There seems to be a lot of favouritism in UKA team selections across all age groups in recent times!
Klinsmannic

Agreed. I'm hoping Simeon Williams can pull something out of the bag. Chambers however has experience and I think he should be given a second chance like every other country does for drug users (except Norway). He's admitted he's wrong and he's helped the authorities out - poor timing however. If he hadn't been so impatient to get the progress back then....

Multi_Eventer
mate the 100m is gonna be awsome, The two guys from Jamaca and Gay, what a battle, only bad thing is you kinda know who the medals are going to too, just not in what order, cant see anyone else breaking into the top 3..:woo:

Gay has pulled out of Crystal Palace. I was looking forward to a Gay Vs Powell show down. Hope Gay can make it. Would have liked to have seen Chamber's in the mix. I reckon he could have cruised in under 10 given the competition.
Theres a facebook group about this you know

I joined the group!!!!!!
How UNFAIR
Just seen Dwayne Chambers get hounded on This Morning for the past half an hour. Eamon Holmes and that other lady didn't have a clue. Shocking treatment of him. He didn't have to do the interview but he did so and was humble throughout. But they got egg on their faces when the public poll resulted in 80% saying Chambers should be forgiven. The look on the presenters faces was a picture. Muppets.
Klinsmannic
Just seen Dwayne Chambers get hounded on This Morning for the past half an hour. Eamon Holmes and that other lady didn't have a clue. Shocking treatment of him. He didn't have to do the interview but he did so and was humble throughout. But they got egg on their faces when the public poll resulted in 80% saying Chambers should be forgiven. The look on the presenters faces was a picture. Muppets.

the other lady is his wife i think. Quite some crumpet even though she's getting on bro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Langsford Not the greatest of pics though.

i'll try and youtube this bit of tv you mention - i think there's a time and a place for personal opinion...and Chambers has had a depressing last week and all he needs right now is a hounding.
white_haired_wizard
the other lady is his wife i think. Quite some crumpet even though she's getting on bro. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Langsford Not the greatest of pics though.

i'll try and youtube this bit of tv you mention - i think there's a time and a place for personal opinion...and Chambers has had a depressing last week and all he needs right now is a hounding.

Didn't realise she was his wife. Explains why they were able to put up a united front. Holmes tried to salvage some dignity for himself after the public poll, but his wife just went on and on.

Exactly, Chambers went on the show of his own volition. The least they could have done was made him feel welcome.
Klinsmannic
Didn't realise she was his wife. Explains why they were able to put up a united front. Holmes tried to salvage some dignity for himself after the public poll, but his wife just went on and on.

Exactly, Chambers went on the show of his own volition. The least they could have done was made him feel welcome.

i bet she knows **** all too - that's what's annoying about scenarios like these. She's probably briefly dipped into a few newspapers over the last few months and is suddenly the expert on everything athletics, Olympic ban laws etc...

pathetic really.

Quick Reply

Latest