The Student Room Group

Athletics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Exactly! Campbell's torso was definitely ahead of Williams's on the line, so she obviously won. I can't believe how long it took them to make a decision and all sorts of stuff were coming up the board! I'm so glad she won though. :biggrin: And here's proof that she clearly won:

Spoiler

:p:

I'm gutted about Idowu... I really felt he would be one of the three British medal winners, especially with Olsson out. Probably if he hadn't had been out for so long with his injured back, he could have definitely got a medal, possibly even gold. :frown:

I'm quite excited about the women's 400m final - Ohuruogu and Sanders are looking great for medals, so fingers crossed. :smile:
:ditto:

I have to say Carolina Kluft is an excellent athlete.
Saskia-
:ditto:

I have to say Carolina Kluft is an excellent athlete.

I don't think many would disagree with you there :smile:

----

You know, I'm a bit upset I missed most of the action today :frown: Fell asleep to miss the morning session and was travelling through all but the first bit of the evening session :frown:

Hope to catch more tomorrow :biggrin:
Just been thinking...there seems to be lots of British athletes missing fro these championships...are there loads of British people injured? Or are tehy just not making the level this year? Come to think of it, I've not heard of some people all year...

Worst of all, some people do well and then disappear to no where...Abi Oyeptian I eman, I've not heard a thing about her since she got the the Olympic final :frown: Is she OK?
Reply 64
There are quite a lot of British athletes injured atm sadly. I can't remember the full list, but they include Paula Radcliffe, Nathan Douglas, Sam Ellis, Rhys Williams, Becky Lyne, Michael East, Dean Macey... a lot basically. :frown:

As for Abi Oyepitan, I have no idea what she's up to right now... I actually forgot about her! :eek:

EDIT: She's also injured apparently, along with Ashia Hansen and Jo Fenn.
xxx Anneka
There are quite a lot of British athletes injured atm sadly. I can't remember the full list, but they include Paula Radcliffe, Nathan Douglas, Sam Ellis, Rhys Williams, Becky Lyne, Michael East, Dean Macey... a lot basically. :frown:

As for Abi Oyepitan, I have no idea what she's up to right now... I actually forgot about her! :eek:

EDIT: She's also injured apparently, along with Ashia Hansen and Jo Fenn.

Has Abi been injured for all that time then? Because it's really sad if she has been :frown:

That is quite an injured list...especially when you consider so many of those people are medalists from at least one of the major championships :s-smilie:

I knew about Sam Ellis incidentally as I was lurking around on facebook earlier today and was reading up how he has had surgery on his leg, probably at the end of last month...:s-smilie:
Reply 66
No, I don't think she was injured all that time. An Achilles injury ruled her out of the whole 2005 season, but she did run again last year. I'm sure she was at the European Cup, the AAAs and in Gateshead. But I don't know what injury she's got now... it could be a re-occurance of her Achilles injury, I have no idea. :dontknow:

The length of the injury list is a shame... there were some potential medal winners amongst them, for sure. It's probably why UK Athletics are only aiming for three medals. And Michael Johnson was saying he believed the number of injuries may have something to do with the way the Brits train. :frown:
xxx Anneka
No, I don't think she was injured all that time. An Achilles injury ruled her out of the whole 2005 season, but she did run again last year. I'm sure she was at the European Cup, the AAAs and in Gateshead. But I don't know what injury she's got now... it could be a re-occurance of her Achilles injury, I have no idea. :dontknow:

The length of the injury list is a shame... there were some potential medal winners amongst them, for sure. It's probably why UK Athletics are only aiming for three medals. And Michael Johnson was saying he believed the number of injuries may have something to do with the way the Brits train. :frown:

In what way does the training affect injuries? And what to British athelets train differently? I'm sure other countries don't have half as many injuries as we do...ebvery year it tyhere are at least half a dozen or so top names which seem to be missing...at least half a dozen...
Reply 68
How quickly did bekele finish that 10k race!!?!?
Reply 69
Roger Kirk
In what way does the training affect injuries? And what to British athelets train differently? I'm sure other countries don't have half as many injuries as we do...ebvery year it tyhere are at least half a dozen or so top names which seem to be missing...at least half a dozen...

I can't remember exactly what he said now... something about conditioning and the British athletes not doing it enough/correctly, which increases the chance of picking up some sort of injury.
So disappointed for Phillips, followed him closely over the years. Had massive potential 7 years back but has just been ruined by injuries :frown:

Bekele was superb today
Reply 71
kris_401
^ Williams's arm did cross the line first but it's the torso that counts :p:

Oh I didnt know that, surely its discriminatory against people with long arms :p:
Reply 72
xxx Anneka
I can't complain with anything he's said there tbh - he's talking sense. Especially regarding Asafa, who needs to sort himself out in the big finals... even more so with guys like Walter Dix coming through, who's immense from what I've seen. QUOTE]

Yeah totally agree. The strength of the u.s.a athletics is just unbelievable in that they produce sprinters year on year as through college like a production line. For them, their squad is weak this year. I mean, only 1 u.s. athlete in the 100m final?

What else is everyone looking forward to? For me it is the 200 and 400m. Shame shawn crawford and the X-man couldnt make it into the u.s. squard, but im hoping Gay can do the double. Sprinting really could do with a domaint force, just so people dont keep seeing the negative side to it e.g. drugs.

With all this mention of kluft, i cannot believe no one has mentioned kelly sotherton. She does it for me. I want to do the high jump with her:wink:
Reply 73
Ouch these 400m are tough. Rooney runs 45.5 in the first round yet will probably go out :hmpf:

It looks like you'll have to run sub 45 to guarentee a semi final place!
Reply 74
Wariner is on fire. Wasnt even breathless when he gave that interview straight after
Reply 75
I never thought Id see anyone get near any of Michael Johnson's world records but it really wouldnt surprise me if Wariner broke the 400m this championships!
Reply 76
Manning
Yeah totally agree. The strength of the u.s.a athletics is just unbelievable in that they produce sprinters year on year as through college like a production line. For them, their squad is weak this year. I mean, only 1 u.s. athlete in the 100m final?

It's crazy when you consider Trindon Holliday (who was 2nd behind Tyson Gay) declined his place on the US team to play American Football and Walter Dix (3rd) chose to concentrate on his studies instead. They have so many talented sprinters, but some of them have other priorities!
SuperDaz
Ouch these 400m are tough. Rooney runs 45.5 in the first round yet will probably go out :hmpf:

It looks like you'll have to run sub 45 to guarentee a semi final place!

:hmpf: At least Tim's got through. But, yeah, Wariner's immense... I can't see anyone beating him to gold, except maybe Merritt.

EDIT: Stupid mistake! :doh:
Reply 77
Why on earth do we have no mens 200m running by the way? :confused:

Did no one really not get the standard?

Edit: oh I see only Devonish made it and decided to concentrate on the 100m. What on earth happened to Christian Malcolm.
Reply 78
Christian Malcolm's been out with an Achilles injury for most of the season (another one :rolleyes:), which is why he didn't qualify for the 200m. But he still is in Osaka as a back-up for the relay team. It's quite sad that we've not got anyone in the men's 200m, really. :frown:
Reply 79
Thats a shame.

Ugh I just realised that it was the 2001 world champs that he just missed out on a medal, it makes me feel old :frown:

I'm going bed now anyway, look foward to Isinbayeva and the womens 800m final tomorrow :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest