The Student Room Group

Athletics

Scroll to see replies

Felix is foolish for that better chance at 200

Rutherford now holds olympic, world, commonwealth and european titles in long jump and still no one rates this guy. Peak
Happy for this guy
Dibaba just ran a sub 1:57 800m in a 1500m race while celebrating at the line
Original post by niceguy95
Felix is foolish for that better chance at 200

Rutherford now holds olympic, world, commonwealth and european titles in long jump and still no one rates this guy. Peak
Happy for this guy

He'll go down as an all time British great (as he should), but an all time long jump great in the same breath as Carl Lewis and Mike Powell? Doubt it.

The problem with the long jump is that the field is very weak now, Rutherford only can beat whats in front of him though. Just have a look at the winning jumps in the Olympics since 1976, with all the advantages of modern sports science/diets, Rutherfords is the lowest.

1976: Arnie Robinson (USA) - 8.35
1980: Lutz Dombrowski (FDR) - 8.54
1984: Carl Lewis (USA) - 8.54
1988: Carl Lewis (USA) - 8.72
1992: Carl Lewis (USA) - 8.67
1996: Carl Lewis (USA) - 8.50
2000: Ivan Pedroso (CUB) - 8.59
2004: Dwight Phillips (USA) 8.59
2008: Irving Saladino (PAN) - 8.34
2012: Greg Rutherford (GBR) - 8.31
Original post by Elliwhi
The season is now over :frown: Anyone starting cross country and winter training yet? I start cross country in October.

My coach has said that I have no more races left this summer season 😞 I'm clinging on to opens to avoid the dreaded winter 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sharpshooter
He'll go down as an all time British great (as he should), but an all time long jump great in the same breath as Carl Lewis and Mike Powell? Doubt it.

The problem with the long jump is that the field is very weak now, Rutherford only can beat whats in front of him though. Just have a look at the winning jumps in the Olympics since 1976, with all the advantages of modern sports science/diets, Rutherfords is the lowest.

1976: Arnie Robinson (USA) - 8.35
1980: Lutz Dombrowski (FDR) - 8.54
1984: Carl Lewis (USA) - 8.54
1988: Carl Lewis (USA) - 8.72
1992: Carl Lewis (USA) - 8.67
1996: Carl Lewis (USA) - 8.50
2000: Ivan Pedroso (CUB) - 8.59
2004: Dwight Phillips (USA) 8.59
2008: Irving Saladino (PAN) - 8.34
2012: Greg Rutherford (GBR) - 8.31

Doping was rampant in sprinting and jumping in the 70's, 80's and 90's though (and probably today). Likewise I wouldn't expect clean middle/distance runners to be able to compete with the many clearly EPO enhanced times that people were running in the 90's.
18.21 holy ****

J Edwards probably **** himself lmao
Usain Bolt could have gone faster, I don't know why he slows down near the end lol.
Mo Farah just too good.
New 10k time - 32:32. Can't wait for XC to start. So many races.
Been a while but instead of creating a new thread I'd rather bump this one due to a report published by the World Anti-Doping Agency today.

Looks like Russia's gonna be dickpounded out of athletics :biggrin:
Sport's ****ed, but I've had the feeling for a long time that you have to watch the worlds and Olympics with a pinch of salt.

There's always amateur competition.
With the olympics coming up, who do you thinks in line to win the 400/800m races?

Posted from TSR Mobile
allyson felix!! That is all
WVD for mens 400m would be favourite but I can Kirani making a huge comeback and win gold and dominate most of the season

Men's 800 will be amos, rudisha is finished

Women's 400m will be felix as said above

800 not sure, if dibaba did 800m she get a WR me thinks

world indoors in 3 days!!!!!!1111

Quick Reply

Latest