The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Languages at Nottingham

Hi!

I'll be doing Business Management from this September and am really interested in learning French. I wanted to know what my options were. Does the uni provide extra classes or will I have to go to somewhere outside of the University? My friend whos going to Imperial will be learning French alongside his Medicine course for no extra cost... Something like this available at Notts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Assuming you have subsidiary options(I'm not sure how the Business degrees are structured, but most degrees have room for about 1-2 modules that you choose yourself), there may be an option of taking a course with the French department. Basically, you'll need the room in your degree to take modules outside your department and you'll need to check with the French department to see if they offer any introductory classes.

Failing that, the language centre offers courses in most popular foreign languages for a certain amount. I know that my friend and girlfriend took a Spanish course with them and went once every week in the evening.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
There are options that you can take from the language department, but they often require French to have been studied at A level standard before university study; so you would need to check if there are any introductory courses, as loki said.
Yes, you can do it. There are courses for people at any level, which you can use your free credits for.
Reply 4
Yes, you can do it. There are courses for people at any level, which you can use your free credits for.

And these can be taken with my Business Management course? Sorry if I'm sounded stupid, just want to make sure :smile:
Yeah, almost certainly
Reply 6
Alright thanks :biggrin:
Reply 7
can you do a language on its own. i mean without it being part of your course can you just take lessons. I've seen it offered at Sheffield and durham
Reply 8
cloudless
can you do a language on its own. i mean without it being part of your course can you just take lessons. I've seen it offered at Sheffield and durham

Yeah, you can take a course in the Language Centre. You can use it in place of a subsid module or just for the hell of it.

Ali07: you'll be able to take it with Business Management through the language centre (timetable permitting of course) but you'll have to go to Uni Park for it.
Reply 9
I'd prefer to take a language like cloudless. I enjoy things much more when they are not part of my education. For example - I love learning about maths - but I hated it all through my A-Levels LOL.
Reply 10
I'm considering taking French classes on top of my International Economics course. Done a few years of French before and it's a good language to learn and be able to speak.
Reply 11
Bear in mind if you take it as a subsid, it'll count towards your course, and if you don't take it as a subsid, you'll probably have to pay.
Reply 12
alex-hs
if you don't take it as a subsid, you'll probably have to pay.

:frown: any ideas how much that'll be
Reply 13
not a clue
Reply 14
yeah you can do french modules.

or consider swapping to management with french? it's a good course :wink:
Reply 15
I had considered that. It looked good - even had a year out in French speaking country but required French at A-Level. I didnt even take it at GCSE :biggrin:
Reply 16
.jen.
yeah you can do french modules.

or consider swapping to management with french? it's a good course :wink:

What are the French modules like?
I'm thinking about switching to Economics with French, but I'm not quite sure yet. The thing is that I've studied French for 10 years but I'm far from being fluent... I love the language. It's just that I don't know if I'm good enough.
Reply 17
Frootz
What are the French modules like?
I'm thinking about switching to Economics with French, but I'm not quite sure yet. The thing is that I've studied French for 10 years but I'm far from being fluent... I love the language. It's just that I don't know if I'm good enough.

very few people are "fluent". ive been in different classes throughout the last year, and not one person was fluent. ive studied french for 9 years and im def not fluent (made more difficult by my lack of confidence to try to speak french lots :p:) but yes, i'm sure you'd be good enough! If you have grade B or above for A level then i'd consider it cos i think learning a language is invaluable and it's one of those things that youd look back on in a few years and wish you had pursued! By the end of the 4 years you *should* be fluent, actually, by the end of third year after the year abroad, so it's worth carrying it on for another 4 if you've done it for 10years!

The modules are good, you'd do the standard french grammar stuff which is essential stuff, some easy stuff, some hard. but you need those basics. and other modules include stuff like phonetics, literature, french history, caribbean french, canadian french, becoming a translator as your job etc. massive variety. you also get compulsory workshops weekly where you are given booklets and do comprehension based questions on the grammar and vocab topic for that week. (sounds much easier than it is :p:) theres also a compulsory weekly oral class which is really fun and really helps with confidence and pronunciation. you do role plays or prepare presentations or watch films etc!

I love the course :biggrin: I'd get incredibly bored just doing management so it's nice to have the french to brighten up your week a bit and lose the repetitiveness of business style modules.
Reply 18
.jen.
very few people are "fluent". ive been in different classes throughout the last year, and not one person was fluent. ive studied french for 9 years and im def not fluent (made more difficult by my lack of confidence to try to speak french lots :p:) but yes, i'm sure you'd be good enough! If you have grade B or above for A level then i'd consider it cos i think learning a language is invaluable and it's one of those things that youd look back on in a few years and wish you had pursued! By the end of the 4 years you *should* be fluent, actually, by the end of third year after the year abroad, so it's worth carrying it on for another 4 if you've done it for 10years!

The modules are good, you'd do the standard french grammar stuff which is essential stuff, some easy stuff, some hard. but you need those basics. and other modules include stuff like phonetics, literature, french history, caribbean french, canadian french, becoming a translator as your job etc. massive variety. you also get compulsory workshops weekly where you are given booklets and do comprehension based questions on the grammar and vocab topic for that week. (sounds much easier than it is :p:) theres also a compulsory weekly oral class which is really fun and really helps with confidence and pronunciation. you do role plays or prepare presentations or watch films etc!

I love the course :biggrin: I'd get incredibly bored just doing management so it's nice to have the french to brighten up your week a bit and lose the repetitiveness of business style modules.

This is exactly why I am doing the course with French as opposed to the staright BA Management Studies!!
Reply 19
Ohh thanks a lot .jen.!! That really made me want to do Economics with French.. hehe :smile:
What about the year abroad? How do you plan to fund it? I know that Estonians who go abroad through Erasmus programme get a grant that covers living costs. Is it the same for the UK that students are guaranteed the grant? Or what if I decided to work in industry instead... would I have to look for a job myself or get help from the university? It would probably be a better option as living costs would be covered by wages...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending