The Student Room Group

I need your help in regards to applying to certain unis [urgent]

Hello all,

thankyou for comming here, I have some questions that I need answered before I send my email of to my desired universities.
I intend to apply in 2008 next year, as I am taking a gap year to improve on certain modules. I am determined to get AAB/ABB as the unis required.

Now doing my research some universities have asked for a furthur pass at AS level. And I have not got that.
I only did 3 full Alevels in Sociology, ICT and Textiles -Art and Design.
I got CCD, I know not good, but if you are interested to hear my story please click here it is quite long.

Moving foward due to the above problems I decided to improve and push myself which resulted in me making this thread , this is also quite long but if ur interested do have a read through. Moving foward the following are my questions...

1.) As I want to redo all my bad modules and push them up to an A what would I mention on UCAS when applying ? I do not want to mention my grades as they are bad esp on certain modules what can i put ?

2.) I want to email my desired universities what can I mention to them? Im a bit worried when i tell them my CCD grades they might tell me theres not chance and its understandble ..but I want to retake and push my grades up? Do i need to tell them my current grades and what my intentions are for the gap year I want to do ?

3.) Also some of the unis did mention on their entry requirements that if i do have a keen interest they would also look at my experience therefore in my case i want to do a business/managment/human resource related subject but I have done only Sociology , ICT and Textiles will they run away and say no providing that I have the experience in the area?
What shall I tell them about my subjects?

please please help me , i dont know what to mention in the email ....if u want furthur info please do read the links that I have provided.

thanks xxx
Reply 1
I'm not sure what to say, but I got D,C,C and pushed them up to A, B, B. :smile:
Reply 2
Sorry I havent had time to read your story but what I can say is that Uni's have human beings looking at these peices of paper and I can say that I only applied a month ago to go to Uni and I havent studied formally since 1989 and also have a disability and yet I got in on experience alone.

I wrote a very open personal statement and I spoke to the course leader :smile:

Good luck
It depends where you want to apply and what for.

EDIT: Just saw what you wrote. If you can get your predicted grades to be ABB or such, you should be fine. Just don't aim too high - good unis like Leeds etc. should be fine.
Reply 4
LeedsLad
Sorry I havent had time to read your story but what I can say is that Uni's have human beings looking at these peices of paper and I can say that I only applied a month ago to go to Uni and I havent studied formally since 1989 and also have a disability and yet I got in on experience alone.

Good luck

I don't think the OP is a mature student though - however Congrats on your success! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Sianne
I'm not sure what to say, but I got D,C,C and pushed them up to A, B, B. :smile:

well done u! :biggrin: Thats fab. What uni are u going to now?

edit :- I just saw in ur sig :P
Reply 6
LeedsLad

Good luck

Heya , thats absolutely fine... :smile:
Well done for getting into uni...congrats to u ... I hope it goes all well for u. However I am not a mature student ...but I know thats another way. I want to go next year thats why I want to do all my research now to avoid disappointments on the last minute if that makes sense. :smile: Thats what I need to do , I need to speak to the admissions/course leader/ officer person,...thats why when I email them about my situation idk if i should mention my alevel grades or not .

However I hope u have a fab time at uni...will u still be working though?

good luck with everything

xx
Reply 7
BornUnderPunches
It depends where you want to apply and what for.

EDIT: Just saw what you wrote. If you can get your predicted grades to be ABB or such, you should be fine. Just don't aim too high - good unis like Leeds etc. should be fine.

thankyou for ur response. I want to go somewhere in London; it wil be nearer for me and easier for me thats why im trying to avoid unis that are a bit outer london.
I would like to and prefer to plan my aims high, but not expect a lot but work hard for my target grades.
But if i dont get into my desired unis, I can always apply elsewhere, but the whole point of the gap year is to work my way up the ladder.
Reply 8
Heya, thankyou for your response.
Yes Ill need to get my grades declined ...I need to write a letter to my exams officer, about that. However what does grade declining involve would they just not be kept on record or something ?
And will I need to retake everything? :s-smilie:
Ok I wont tell the admissions officer , but a month ago I did explain my circumstances and they said they would consider me.
I am going to speak to some people to get some unpaid work exp , regarding my course subjects. Im in a tax department at the moment it kinda relates to business , but I want something more specific work experience that unis can be impressed at but I will be speaking to some managers.

I am actually going to be applying to top unis, thats why im worried about the re-sits. If u look at my thread I have made the organiser one, it would make much more sense. However yeah its the top ones im aiming for :s-smilie: thats why im worried.

Janice
1.) As I want to redo all my bad modules and push them up to an A what would I mention on UCAS when applying ? I do not want to mention my grades as they are bad esp on certain modules what can i put ?

You'll put your grades as pending if you are doing resits for those subjects. You will need to get the grades declined to do resits.

2.) I want to email my desired universities what can I mention to them? Im a bit worried when i tell them my CCD grades they might tell me theres not chance and its understandble ..but I want to retake and push my grades up? Do i need to tell them my current grades and what my intentions are for the gap year I want to do ?

You don't need to tell them your current grades, and you can state what you're doing in your gap year on your personal statement.

3.) Also some of the unis did mention on their entry requirements that if i do have a keen interest they would also look at my experience therefore in my case i want to do a business/managment/human resource related subject but I have done only Sociology , ICT and Textiles will they run away and say no providing that I have the experience in the area?
What shall I tell them about my subjects?

I think they're referring to work experience. Do you have any? Check if the unis have any specific requirements. If you're not applying to "top unis" the resits shouldn't be a problem at all.
1) Since you've already completed your A-levels, you'll need to decline your grades in order to resit, so you won't be able to put them on your UCAS form. You'll need to put them all as pending instead.
2) Don't tell them your current grades, just the fact that you're a resit student with extenuating circumstances and your gap year plans.
3) Your subjects don't really matter, that just means that they'll take things like work experience into account if you have any.

Declining your grades just means you won't get a certificate for them this year and you can't put them on your UCAS form, but all your marks are still kept on record so that if for some reason you did worse on a resit, your original mark would count. You can resit any modules you want, so just the ones you did worst in and/or the ones you feel you have the best chance of improving. Have you considered taking up another AS? Then you'd have 3 A-levels and 1 AS, which is all you need for any uni. It would be a lot of work on top of all the resits, but it would improve your position.
Reply 10
Thankyou guys for your help, I have just finished writing a draft for my email, can I pm anyone to get this checked please?
Anonymous.
Thankyou guys for your help, I have just finished writing a draft for my email, can I pm anyone to get this checked please?

You can PM it to me if you want.

Latest

Trending

Trending