The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
the great thing is once you qualify you can open so many doors !
Reply 21
So is this figure of 3 hours revision per night plus 10 at the weekends accurate??

Is this for the majority of the year or just for 3 or 4 months of the year??

Can anyone comment?
Reply 22
Yes, for the umpteemth time its accurate. And I've already said its only for the 3 months prior to the exams, so 6 months of the year in total.
More confirmation for you, of sorts - I'm about to start studying for the CA (ICAS equivalent of ACA), and I'm expecting 15-25 hours homework per week. College hours are only 9-4 though (not the usual 9-5.30), which partly makes up for it.
Reply 24
liverpoolguy
Can people give me their thoughts on how difficult and time consuming the ACA qualification is?

In particular how do the exams compare to your average degree exam in terms of difficulty?

Also I have heard different figures mentioned for how much revision time you need to put in to pass the ACA exams. I have heard people talking about revising every night or every weekend? How much time outside wokrk (Big 4)do you need to put in to revising in order to pass these exams?

I know everyones different but I just want to get an idea. I consider myself intelligent (2:1 degree, ABB A-Levels) and I seem to remember things easily. I'm trying to get an idea how much time I'll have to put in.

Well done on your 2:1. The ACA, however, does specify AAB for A-levels :p:
Reply 25
Cool.Zero

I got ABB for my A-levels and have just started with Deloitte so don't quite see the 'point' of your reply to the original poster...
Reply 26
You actually need as low as BBC to gain entry to big4, some of which are less (ACCA).
Reply 27
Dajoruna
I got ABB for my A-levels and have just started with Deloitte so don't quite see the 'point' of your reply to the original poster...

good for you lol
Dajoruna

Yep - the minimum A-level requirement for ACA is 220 points and 2 levels, so ABB is more than enough! Individual firms offering training contracts may have higher requirements, but the ICAEW itself doesn't require high A-level grades.

http://www.icaew.com/careers/facts/entry_req01.htm
Reply 29
Cool.Zero

Why do you lie? They don't specify AAB. Deloitte, for example, specify 300 UCAS points which is BBB. I had AAC and have a ACA job
Reply 30
Just adding to this as I have just started college doing the ICAS qualification which is on par with the ACA. I have good a levels and went to a top 10 university graduating with a high 2:1 and currently working for E&Y, and like you my degree wasn't a hassle. The CA is however a different experience, it is very intense and even grads in my class who did accounting degrees are finding it challenging, as well as all the grads with 1st classes.

As said above, its the sheer volume of it that makes it so hard, and you really cannot imagine what it feels like till you're actually undergoing it. When we started, we were told to do 25hrs per week to ensure we passed. I spend at least 3hrs a night studying and 10 hrs at the weekend. It will take over your life, but luckily at E&Y we have block study which means going to college from 9-4.30 for 8weeks and then being free from rigid study the rest of the year until the next college block
Geniusx
Just adding to this as I have just started college doing the ICAS qualification which is on par with the ACA. I have good a levels and went to a top 10 university graduating with a high 2:1 and currently working for E&Y, and like you my degree wasn't a hassle. The CA is however a different experience, it is very intense and even grads in my class who did accounting degrees are finding it challenging, as well as all the grads with 1st classes.

As said above, its the sheer volume of it that makes it so hard, and you really cannot imagine what it feels like till you're actually undergoing it. When we started, we were told to do 25hrs per week to ensure we passed. I spend at least 3hrs a night studying and 10 hrs at the weekend. It will take over your life, but luckily at E&Y we have block study which means going to college from 9-4.30 for 8weeks and then being free from rigid study the rest of the year until the next college block

I'm in exactly the same position as you - the size of the Financial Accounting notes package we got on the first day was somewhat daunting, to say the least :eek:. At least I've passed the first progress test, and we're on to Law for a bit now - the block-release format, without the extra pressures of client work is definitely a very good thing!

Good luck with your studies - can I ask where you're based?
Illusionary
I'm in exactly the same position as you - the size of the Financial Accounting notes package we got on the first day was somewhat daunting, to say the least :eek:. At least I've passed the first progress test, and we're on to Law for a bit now - the block-release format, without the extra pressures of client work is definitely a very good thing!

How think is it? 500 pages+ ? (I am serous about asking this because I have heard many horror stories.
Reply 33
My ACCA book for module 1.3 is 562 A4-pages long, and you do 2-3 modules per exam sitting. That gives you an idea hopefully..
x.narb.x
My ACCA book for module 1.3 is 562 A4-pages long, and you do 2-3 modules per exam sitting. That gives you an idea hopefully..

That textbook is full of crap really. Don't read it. Just read the passcards, then do the revision kit.

This applies more so to other papers (1.3 is not normal because it is a management paper)
Spencer.Smith
How think is it? 500 pages+ ? (I am serous about asking this because I have heard many horror stories.

I've not counted the pages (each module - there are 17 - is separately numbered), but it fills a large lever arch file completely. This does include all the exercise questions, and model solutions, so it's not actually all that bad - Financial Accounting seems to be more about techniques than rote learning. The other subjects all have smaller notes packs as well, so the work is manageable - though plentiful :smile:

2 weeks down now... only 6 until exams :eek:
Illusionary
I've not counted the pages (each module - there are 17 - is separately numbered), but it fills a large lever arch file completely. This does include all the exercise questions, and model solutions, so it's not actually all that bad - Financial Accounting seems to be more about techniques than rote learning. The other subjects all have smaller notes packs as well, so the work is manageable - though plentiful :smile:

2 weeks down now... only 6 until exams :eek:

The whole stack of notes is for the first module/paper (which one?) of Financial Accounting for ACA is it?

Good luck with double entries and Accounting standards! :p:
Spencer.Smith
The whole stack of notes is for the first module/paper (which one?) of Financial Accounting for ACA is it?

Good luck with double entries and Accounting standards! :p:

It's not the ACA, but the CA (ICAS equivalent of the ACA), and it's the notes for just the Financial Accounting paper - each paper has its own separate set of notes. To get the terminology clear, each paper/subject (same thing) - there are 5 - is then divided up into 'modules' (i.e. chapters).
Illusionary
It's not the ACA, but the CA (ICAS equivalent of the ACA), and it's the notes for just the Financial Accounting paper - each paper has its own separate set of notes. To get the terminology clear, each paper/subject (same thing) - there are 5 - is then divided up into 'modules' (i.e. chapters).

OK thanks. :smile:
dear students. if a person give 5 hours daily to aca study .can he pass the exams in first attempt... ans plz

Latest

Trending

Trending