The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Don't worry, there're lots of people who are either your age or older than you. :smile: And although most people would be just 18 or 19, the age difference really isn't an issue. Just go and enjoy your time at uni. (That's what I intend to do anyway. I'm also turning 20 in September and starting uni this year.)
Reply 2
I thought there would be others born between september and december nearing 20 if they took a gap year, but nearly everyone seems to be around 18. Kind of worries me.
Reply 3
Why are you worried? I'm starting when I'm 22.

I would have no problems with starting now if I was 30 either. Just go there and enjoy yourself, stop worrying about things which really make no difference at all.
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm starting at 17
Reply 5
I'm 21. I doubt anyone will know the difference. Don't worry about it. A lot of people are 19. The difference between 19 and 20 is hardly noticeable. No one's going to care.
Reply 6
20s fine.
my best friend's sister was diagnosed with illness right after the a-levels, so she entered uni at 20. she had applied for deferred entry.
another girl i know was diagnosed with hodgkin's lymphoma towards the end of her gap year. she was october born so would have been nearly 20 that year, but couldn't go due to the cancer. she finally went to uni at 22.
Reply 7
oh the girl who got ill after the alevels- how on earth did they take her? don't you have to do something 'constructive' in your gap year?
Reply 8
I'm 20 and will be starting uni this year. I don't think there's anything wrong with being slightly older - in many ways its an advantage :smile:
i would think overcoming a serious illness is pretty damn constructive
Reply 10
xxxchrisxxx
i would think overcoming a serious illness is pretty damn constructive

yes but you're usually asked to give details on what you did during your gap year, but if you're ill you don't end up doing that. wouldn't the university have a problem?
Why would being 20 be a problem?
Reply 12
lee99
yes but you're usually asked to give details on what you did during your gap year, but if you're ill you don't end up doing that. wouldn't the university have a problem?

I don't know, I didn't ask how they still let her in .
Reply 13
20 thats well old

Si looks at his siggy :smile:
lee99
oh the girl who got ill after the alevels- how on earth did they take her? don't you have to do something 'constructive' in your gap year?

Errr i'm sure getting over a serious illness is a pretty good reason for a gap year. And I have spent my whole gap year doing a little bit of working, combined with lots of watching Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women all day.
Reply 15
x_f_x
Errr i'm sure getting over a serious illness is a pretty good reason for a gap year. And I have spent my whole gap year doing a little bit of working, combined with lots of watching Jeremy Kyle and Loose Women all day.

yeah but she applied for deferred entry, so wouldn't have been able to do what she intially said she would in the year out
Reply 16
Being 20 isn't a problem. I have two friends who were 23 and 24 when they started, didn't do them no harm. May very well have helped them in some way instead!
Reply 17
lee99
yeah but she applied for deferred entry, so wouldn't have been able to do what she intially said she would in the year out

I'm pretty certain they would not penalise her for being seriously ill, it's an unavoidable circumstance.

Anyway, I turned 20 3 days before I started uni, and it was fine.
Reply 18
MissHero
I'm pretty certain they would not penalise her for being seriously ill, it's an unavoidable circumstance.

Anyway, I turned 20 3 days before I started uni, and it was fine.

oh ok. but maybe if the uni is prestigious. ie oxbridge
Reply 19
I'll be 20 not long after starting Uni.
Doesn't really bother me too much. Infact. 90% of my friends are a good 5/6 years older than me, so it'll hopefully readdress an age balance!

Latest

Trending

Trending