The Student Room Group

Do I still hv a chance to do pharmacy in top uni?

iv just got my AS results... ABC & a D

A in Maths, B in Bio, C in Chem, D in phy (we can ignore it cuz im gonna drop it)

i will retake Chem in Jan 08.

The min requirement of pharmacy in Universities lyk Bath, Manchester & Nottingham is ABB, but iv only got ABC n i hvnt got at least a B in Chem...

Do i still hv a chance to hv an interview???
Interview r usually in December, but im goin to retake in January...so... how do they know that im retakin?

2 more things, does AS Further Maths help? i will do it in yr 13.
should i retake bio as well, i got a C in Jun Exam but overall i got a B.

Plz give me ur advice. Thank you!
You will definately have to retake both Chemistry and Biology Units really...

A2 is alot harder, and after starting come September, the AS marks will seem like easy marks lost...

You definately have a chance though. It shouldn't put you off applying at all. Sure, Pharamacy at Unis such as Bath are very competitive ; You will have to get the grades to get in...

I applied to Bath to do Biology with a C in Chemistry when my course needed a B. I still got the offer, and put the work in to eventually get the B at A2...

All is possible...
Reply 2
u shud be fine, just beg ur teachers to predict u slightlyhigher grades nd then u should aim to get those grades! but mind you, for universities such as bath, entry requirements have gone up to AAB! for bath to do pharmacy, they wanted ABB but i got BBB but they still let me in!
Reply 3
Thank you for replyin me, Oh Dear... n nenah.

did u hv any work experience in a pharmacy b4 u applied?

is it a must to hv work experience?

if not, wot did u write on ur personal statement to show them u have a great potential to do pharmacy?
Reply 4
Calv
Thank you for replyin me, Oh Dear... n nenah.

did u hv any work experience in a pharmacy b4 u applied?

is it a must to hv work experience?

if not, wot did u write on ur personal statement to show them u have a great potential to do pharmacy?

yes i had work experience, it wsnt much, shadowed the school pharmacist for about a week, worked in a nursing home for a bit! nd thats about it! work experience shows that you are truly interested! notice how my work experience was not for long periods of time. in my personal statement, i mentioned what i learnt from the work experience during the few days i was there, i talked about how i read new scientist and to further show my interest, i quoted and referenced a particular article in the magazine and my feelings towards it! talked about why pharmacy!! and how all my hobbies made me a good candidate for pharmacy e.g, from doing d of e, i have learnt the neccesity of working collaboratively in a team which is a vital ingredient in the making of a pharmacy as i will be working with people or while working in the nursing home, high responsibility was on me as far as their well being was concerned and being trust worthy also made it easy for the old people to trust me!! something along those lines!!

you should be fine, just make sure you really want to do pharmacy!
Reply 5
hiya, iv just got my teachers predicted grades.

Maths A
Bio A/B
Chem B

Are they OK for me to do pharmacy?

i will drop physics but will take AS Further maths this yr.
n i will retake all the modules in chem n 1 of the modules (the 1 i got a C) in Bio, they cost me 60 quid, crazy...~~~

BTW, i may hv work exp. in a pharmacy for a wk in half term b4 i hand in my ucas form + personal statement... Yeah... but is it enough? i know it is, just in case...
Reply 6
Does it really matter where you do your Pharmacy degree? it is vocational, isn't it? So even if you didn't go to a 'top uni' you'd still be a certified pharm.

Anyhoo, my friend got DDDE in his AS levels and got offers from Keele and Bath. So just to show, its not as hard as people think to get into Pharm and I consider Keele and Bath as top uni's for Pharmacies. Both are research intensive.
Reply 7
Yes, if u r graduated from a gd uni, u can get a job much more easier than the one hus not.
ur frd is like 1 in 1000000... im an unlucky person, neva hv that kind of luck@.@

anyway, thanks for ur reply.
Reply 8
I've heard it does not matter what uni you go for pharm, you need the same skills to be a pharmacist and they have to be up to the job because of patients etc
Reply 9
heh, you forgot that Kings and LSOP are good unis for pharmacy as well.... -_-
Reply 10
yer, but its too expensive to go there... the living standard is too high... :argh:
Reply 11
hafzal ur mate got DDDE and got into bristol!!!! dam thats lucky

i got AABD and didnt get into there
Reply 12
Hey there guys, I'm applying for pharmacy 08 at Aston, keele, Liverpool JMU and bradford. Ive got offers from all of them and I disliked Aston and Bradford because Aston was small, the staff seemed unfriendly, it is also filled with failed MED students or people who applied there because it is their fail-safe (which I dislike) and I'm not that confident that I'll get ABB, I didnt like Bradford at all.

I really liked Keele because the countryside is really nice, the facilities are top-notch, the staff I felt was very friendly, it had a strong community feel to it, they also have a MED school department and I feel that this would help my pharmacy course because they're allied professions but I didnt like the fact that the town the uni is based on is small and seems lifeless. It is ranked 53rd.
I also really liked JMU, the facilities were similar standard but last modern, the staff wasnt as friendly, but what I liked most was the city. However, it is ranked 84th.

I've been told that ranking in the pharmacy industry isnt that important, the employers barely ask graduates where they went for their course and judge them on it.

I am confident that I'll get BBB, I'm predicted ABB and I achieved bbcc at AS (b in chem and c in maths and bio)

So my question is, which uni should I rank as my first choice?

Thanks, new member
Reply 13
well tbh you are not always going to be out in the city, are you? From what you've said I would say keele uni, you liked everything about it and the staff were friendly. Maybe if you have a better look you may like the city, its more important to go to a good uni and get a good degree. Especially if you want to apply for medicine, (which u said in a previous thread)a 2.1 looks better than a 2.2!
Yeah, it's all about predicted grades. You'll be fine with AAB predicted :smile:
Reply 15
Most top Unis take student with predicted ABB, but yeh, Bath pulled theirs up this year. Lucky I have AAB predicted >.<

To be honest I found doing W.E in a pharmacy isn't *essential* but you must show you know what youre getting yourself into. I for example worked in a hospital in a foetal medicine unit and interviewed a few pharmacist. I'll be doing work experience in a pharmacy though. It's always a plus y'know, but it's not what they will base their decision on.

Latest

Trending

Trending