The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
kw2005
It sounds like you have had all the tetanus boosters etc that you need, but I'm not sure that you would have had the Men C, so you definitely need to check that one. The other thing is that you are exactly in the age group that missed out on MMR. If you don't remember being offered it in the last three or four years, this probably means you haven't had one at all. Strictly speaking you should have two, roughly three months apart. Your GP should be happy to do this. You would have had the single Measles jab aged one and the Measles and Rubella combination in 1994 during the catch-up campaign, assuming your parents consented to both. Either way, it does no harm to have the MMR x2 on top of whatever you did have, and it will protect you from mumps which can be nasty when you are older.

Size of the uni doesn't matter btw. Hope you like Goldsmiths -

PS - have just remembered that there were mumps outbreaks at Roehampton uni, and I'm sure Kingston as well, in the last three years - but maybe at a different campus from where you were - which would explain why you didn't get called in for MMR the way Flash6289 did.

I'm pretty sure I did have the single measles jab and then the combo one in 1994. Not sure about the Men C though. I'll consult with my parents and then contact my GP to take things further. As I've still got 3 weeks before I start, I assume I still have time to get the jabs done?
Reply 41
Yes, it's never too late!
I was offered an MMR jab in sixth form 3 years ago but didn't take it. I can't remember if it was because I was scared or because my mum said I didn't need it.

I think I might have had the Meningitis C jab in 1999/2000 ish because I remember having a jab when the whole school had to have it.

The last one I remember having was in 2003 when I had the polio and Diptheria a year later than I should have because I was ill the year before. I remember laughing at how embarrassed the nurse looked when she pushed a little piece of card towards me asking if I was pregnant.
Reply 43
CheesyBeans
I was offered an MMR jab in sixth form 3 years ago but didn't take it. I can't remember if it was because I was scared or because my mum said I didn't need it.

I think I might have had the Meningitis C jab in 1999/2000 ish because I remember having a jab when the whole school had to have it.

The last one I remember having was in 2003 when I had the polio and Diptheria a year later than I should have because I was ill the year before. I remember laughing at how embarrassed the nurse looked when she pushed a little piece of card towards me asking if I was pregnant.
Worth checking then to make sure you are up-to-date.
I just had a Meningococcal C jab and MMR booster. Durham said they recommend it. The nurse though said that the MMR booster jab only has a 70% success rate so around 30% of people who take the booster jab still catch Mumps for example.
Reply 45
I'm glad to say it's better than that:

http://www.mmrthefacts.nhs.uk/basics/twodoses.php

It's pretty much the same for adults.
kw2005 - thankyou :smile: The drowsiness and aching arm seem more worth while!
Unless your going to uni in the Congo, you'll probably only need the standard ones......
Reply 48
Well, just had to post!

Had my MMR and Tetanus, Diptheria and Polio injections today (so one in each arm!).

The thought is MUCH MUCH worse than the actual thing... I hardly felt a thing - on both counts!

My tetanus arm aches a little now, but meh I'm up to date on all my vaccinations and got an MMR booster... so I'm all sorted!

Whoo :biggrin:

- I also think I'm less scared of bloomin jabs now after having two and neither hurting!
MMR?

i ahd taht adn it ddi me no hram
Reply 50
Seanisonfire
MMR?

i ahd taht adn it ddi me no hram

It seems to have done your typing some harm.. lol. :p:
Flash6289
It seems to have done your typing some harm.. lol. :p:

..............You know about the MMR scare dont you?

If you do and were being sarcastic, I'll go hit myself :smile:
Reply 52
Seanisonfire
..............You know about the MMR scare dont you?

If you do and were being sarcastic, I'll go hit myself :smile:

Yeah, I do.. some people apparently got Autism and all that bumf... Was your dodgy typing on purpose then? lol, sorry I seem to have missed the point. >_<
Flash6289
Yeah, I do.. some people apparently got Autism and all that bumf... Was your dodgy typing on purpose then? lol, sorry I seem to have missed the point. >_<

Yeah, i was trying to poke fun at people less fortunate than myself :smile:
Reply 54
Flash6289
some people apparently got Autism
No they didn't. There is a case going through the GMC at the moment in which the lead research doctor, Andrew Wakefield, is being investigated for professional misconduct. Whatever the outcome of this case, the paper in question was withdrawn by The Lancet some years later when it was discovered that the research was deeply flawed for a number of reasons.

In any event even if there was a risk of autism as a result of being given MMR (and none has ever been proved) this risk would be significantly smaller than the risk of harm arising as a result of actually having the diseases MMR protects you against.
kw2005
No they didn't. There is a case going through the GMC at the moment in which the lead research doctor, Andrew Wakefield, is being investigated for professional misconduct. Whatever the outcome of this case, the paper in question was withdrawn by The Lancet some years later when it was discovered that the research was deeply flawed for a number of reasons.

In any event even if there was a risk of autism as a result of being given MMR (and none has ever been proved) this risk would be significantly smaller than the risk of harm arising as a result of actually having the diseases MMR protects you against.

Apparently the lead doctor also admitted that it was false.......And so did everyone else who did it.

Yet theres been outbreaks of mumps and what not all over the country...stupid people.
Reply 56
I had MMR and the a Measles and Rubella booster as a baby. Apparently that's the norm for people around my age (born end of 1988). That's the reason for the mumps outbreaks recently. Including at my school at GCSE time - what fun that must have been for the people who caught it. And I had the Meningitis C jab in year 6.
So I need to have a mumps booster, but I think (and hope) that's all.
Reply 57
Aula
I had MMR and the a Measles and Rubella booster as a baby. Apparently that's the norm for people around my age (born end of 1988). That's the reason for the mumps outbreaks recently. Including at my school at GCSE time - what fun that must have been for the people who caught it. And I had the Meningitis C jab in year 6.
So I need to have a mumps booster, but I think (and hope) that's all.
What you probably had was the single Measles jab as a one year old and the Measle and Rubella combo in 1994 - so you may not be covered for mumps at all. If that's right, you should have MMR x2, one now and another in three months or so.
Reply 58
My uni recommended me getting the Meningitus C jab and when i went to have my injection the other day, the nurse then told me i had to have a mumps jab as well, as the one i had yrs ago had run out.
Reply 59
FireDeuce
I reckon a Rabies jab might be a precaution you'd be wise to take...

Are you being serious?^o) :p:

How long does the immunity of thse following vaccinations stay in your body for/protect your body until they next need to be topped up?:

DTP
MMR
Meningitis C

Latest

Trending

Trending