Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Out of date sausages

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just eaten some pork sausages without realising they were a week past their use by date.

Is this likely to give me food poisoning or something?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oops.. could well do, guess you'll find out in the next day or two!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. Most use by dates are a bit short anyway! You will probably be fine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, but dates are there for a reason after all!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Having a thread title to do with 'sausages' in H&R is very bad if you have much of an imagination.

OP, I hope you're ok. Use-by-dates are generally pretty flexible, and if the sausages were well cooked, that's a good start.

[Edit: by 'flexible', I mean that they err on the side of caution]
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine, as long as they're not pork sausages. Poorly stored (or out of date) pork can contain hyrdo-oxates, which are basically particles found in some meats that find their way into your blood stream and thin your blood. Depending on the amount of hyrdo-oxates ingested, you can suffer anything from a light headed feeling (kind of lightly drunk), to the loss of use of the extremities of your body (eg, fingers, hands, toes and feet) due to a break down in cirulation.

Good luck

If you get any real sideaffects, then I'm really sorry. Theres surely nothing wrong with out of date stuff? Worst case scenario, couple of days sick and watching Jeremy Kyle all day?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mum says that back in the day there were no "sell by dates" and everyone still lived happily.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattye)
    You'll be fine, as long as they're not pork sausages. Poorly stored (or out of date) pork can contain hyrdo-oxates, which are basically particles found in some meats that find their way into your blood stream and thin your blood. Depending on the amount of hyrdo-oxates ingested, you can suffer anything from a light headed feeling (kind of lightly drunk), to the loss of use of the extremities of your body (eg, fingers, hands, toes and feet) due to a break down in cirulation.

Good luck

If you get any real sideaffects, then I'm really sorry. Theres surely nothing wrong with out of date stuff? Worst case scenario, couple of days sick and watching Jeremy Kyle all day?
    They are pork I said so in my original post
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're not ill within 5 - 7 hours you should be alright
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Were they frozen before you cooked them? because it's normally alright then. Like cutandpasteandtwisty said, give it a few hours.

My friend and I made a cocktail with Baileys, which sell by date was in Jan 2001...and we still had some
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You know, if you couldn't tell they were out of date then you'll be fine. I am assuming you looked at them and tasted them whilst eating?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emdo)
    Were they frozen before you cooked them? because it's normally alright then. Like cutandpasteandtwisty said, give it a few hours.

My friend and I made a cocktail with Baileys, which sell by date was in Jan 2001...and we still had some
    Nope, refridgerated. Just bought them from my local cornershop (which is why I didn't check the date beforehand). Lesson to be learnt eh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your cornershop sold you them when they were out of date??

Is anyone else thinking compensation here? :p:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Tell your corner shop they're selling out-of-date food! At the very least, you should get a refund.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Vacuum-packed sausages have fairly long "best before" dates. It's not like after 6 months, all of a sudden, when a certain date is reached, they become poisonous and make your limbs fall off, hair turn green and the left side of your brain rot away.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just remembered that a while back, my boss bought a pack of 2 carrot cake slices and left one of them on top of the diary (!) for me to have, so I ate it and left a note by the grease mark on the diary saying 'mmm, cake '. Apparently my boss looked at the use-by date on the box when she got home, and they were 5 days past their date [or something like that], and she felt awful when she saw my comment the next day... but I was totally fine. Thankfully.
    So, the point is, you have hope.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think that some big supermarkets put short use by dates so the customer will buy more, more often!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take a mud bath.

Might not help you, but it'll get you used to being buried.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, get a refund if they were out of date when purchased. And secondly, no it is highly unlikely they will make you ill if they were only a week out of date, were kept refrigerated, and were cooked properly. If it makes you feel better, I consumed a 4 year out of date packet of choc chip cookies, They looked and tasted exactly the same as brand new ones, and didn't make me ill. Most use by dates are about covering the manufacturer's arse.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nanananabatman)
    My mum says that back in the day there were no "sell by dates" and everyone still lived happily.
    Hahah my mum says the same thing!

I think they're right!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 31, 2007
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.