The Student Room Group

Complicated Situation - need help by tomorrow!

This situation is quite complicated to explain, but I'll try my best!

I originally applied to one university (I'll call it University A) to study English Literature and recieved a rejection. After being rejected by university A, I went through UCAS Extra and applied for an English Literature course at university B. However, I still really wanted to go to university A and, on results day, achieved better grades than I was predicted. I rang up university A and asked them if there were any places for the English Literature course and they put me on a waiting list. I also decided to call up university A's admissions office for their Psychology course (as this was the subject I achieved the highest grade in at A Level), although it wasn't the course I originally intended on. After a couple of weeks I thought I wouldn't get an offer from university A for either course, and sent back my UCAS letter confirming university B as my firm choice. However, yesterday university A called me up and offered me a place for Psychology. Therefore, I was wondering a few things.

Firstly, the admissions officer said I would have to apply through clearing for the Psychology course, but I already sent back my UCAS letter confirming university B, so is this possible?

Secondly, is it possible that, if I went to university A to study Psychology and didn't like the course, that I could transfer into the English Literature course? I achieved above the grade requirements for the course, so I don't think that would be a problem, but do people tend to drop out a lot?

Thirdly, is it worth sacrificing a place for a course I want to take at a university that I'm not particularly bothered about going to, for a course I hadn't originally intended to take at a university I loved? I know only I can answer that in the end, but any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks for reading such a long thread, any replies would really help me, as I have no idea what to do at the minute and have to make a decision by tomorrow! I'll give +rep for any help, for what it's worth!
If you are certain you do not want to go to University B, then you are going to have to ring them up, explain that you cannot take up your place and why you are changing your mind. Then you are going to have to ask them to put you into clearing. This may be difficult though as some universities are not happy or very willing to do this (especially after accepting your offer) so you are really going to plead your case.
If your University agree to this and put you into clearing, all you would have to do is wait for your clearing passport to arrive and then send it off to University A since they have already offered you a place.
But as I said at this stage it could prove to be quite difficult to be released.
As above really. If you've already sent back the AS12 letter from UCAS confirming your place at uni B, I don't think there's anything UCAS can do, so the only way you could go into Clearing, if it's at all possible, is by asking uni B to release you so uni A can make you an offer. This is very late though and I don't know if you'd still be eligible for Clearing now that your offer has turned unconditional and you've accepted it. I wouldn't rely on being able to transfer to English lit, to be honest. I know someone who tried to transfer from joint English and French to straight English and was rejected, so I imagine switching from a completely different degree would be even harder. Even though you meet the entry requirements, English is very competitive and unis frown on people taking up offers for other courses and then trying to switch when they get there because it's not fair on all the appicants who applied normally. It's also very popular, so there are unlikely to be many drop outs. Your situation is very difficult because ideally you need a course you love and a uni you love, but personally I'd say the course is more important. Most people end up loving their uni anyway, even if it wasn't their first choice, but psychology might be very different at degree level compared to A-level and just because you're good at it doesn't mean you'll enjoy it.
Reply 3
Thanks for your help, I understand what both of you are saying and I realise it would be extremely difficult to switch universities and courses at this point. It's just so difficult to decide because I've wanted to go to university A for as long as I can remember and recently have been interested in becoming a psychologist, but English was the degree I had always intended to do. With regards to transferring to the English course when I got there, that wasn't necessarily the intention, just a precaution in case I don't like the psychology course. University A is also closer to home, which would be useful at this time, and I have friends there, which also makes the decision so much harder to make. Then again, there would be so much to sort out if I switched Universities. I'm not sure what I'm expecting from posting this, just anything that might help me make my mind up. Thanks again for your replies
Explain to university A that you've already accepted a place at university B (because A were taking so long) and ask if they can admit you through an RPA (Record of Prior Acceptance) which effectively bypasses UCAS altogether and will save you the hassle of re-applying via clearing.
Lupa
This situation is quite complicated to explain, but I'll try my best!

I originally applied to one university (I'll call it University A) to study English Literature and recieved a rejection. After being rejected by university A, I went through UCAS Extra and applied for an English Literature course at university B. However, I still really wanted to go to university A and, on results day, achieved better grades than I was predicted. I rang up university A and asked them if there were any places for the English Literature course and they put me on a waiting list. I also decided to call up university A's admissions office for their Psychology course (as this was the subject I achieved the highest grade in at A Level), although it wasn't the course I originally intended on. After a couple of weeks I thought I wouldn't get an offer from university A for either course, and sent back my UCAS letter confirming university B as my firm choice. However, yesterday university A called me up and offered me a place for Psychology. Therefore, I was wondering a few things.

Firstly, the admissions officer said I would have to apply through clearing for the Psychology course, but I already sent back my UCAS letter confirming university B, so is this possible?

Secondly, is it possible that, if I went to university A to study Psychology and didn't like the course, that I could transfer into the English Literature course? I achieved above the grade requirements for the course, so I don't think that would be a problem, but do people tend to drop out a lot?

Thirdly, is it worth sacrificing a place for a course I want to take at a university that I'm not particularly bothered about going to, for a course I hadn't originally intended to take at a university I loved? I know only I can answer that in the end, but any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks for reading such a long thread, any replies would really help me, as I have no idea what to do at the minute and have to make a decision by tomorrow! I'll give +rep for any help, for what it's worth!

WOW I know EXACTLY WHERER UR COOMIG FROM! mine was the opposite, I missed the grades for English literature and philosophy at my firm, so my insurance took me. As english was more than full i tried to go on just straight philosophy but my grades still werent what they wanted and they wudnt hold places on the basis of wiating for remarks Anyway I found a course in the end that Im not too bothered about, howeverit meant going to the university of my dreams. my dilemea was exactly the same as urs, go to a university you're not really that enthusiastic about but for a course you love, or go to the university of your dreams for a course you did not originally intend to do! Well after a lot of thought and blunt and honest advice from numerous sources i.e. lawyers (connections through my dad) and careers advisors, i chose to go for the course as the university of my dreams (MY ORIGINAL FIRM)
My plan is the same as your as such, (so long as my grades go up in the remark) to change over to my original desired course. I spoke to admissions and everything, asked how the process of switching over works, how long it takes and success rates etc and it all sounds retty kosher, especially as many people do drop out i the 1st term, plus even if I have to wait until the end of the 1st year, as your 1st yr doesnt count towards your degree (all you have to do is pass, well for english anyway) its all more than fine.

WELL after my long reply (seems like I havent answered ur question) :s here is my personal advice to you

GO TO UNIVERSITY A

ESPECIALLY AS YOU MORE THAN SURPASSED THE GRADE REQUIREMENTS FOR ENGLISH LITERATURE THERE - THEREFORE AS SOON AS THERE IS A VACANCY, THEY WOULD ACCEPT YOU, ESPECIALLY ONCE YOU MENTION YOU ACTUALLY APPLIED TO DO THAT COURSE ORIGINALLY ANYWAY!

Whatever you do.....

GOOD LUCK

(ooh yes and dont worry about the AS12 letter business, if u call up university B 1st thing in the mornign and they are willing to release you into clearing then take university A, but double check with ucas 1st so that you dont end up with no uni place at all)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 6
University B WILL release you!! You need to talk to them and make it clear you would like to be let into clearing.. I was in a very similar position last year. Hope it all works out!
Reply 7
Thank you so much for all your help, just contacted University B and have been released into clearing. Keep going back and forth on whether it is the right decision, but I think I would have wondered that either way!

Latest

Trending

Trending