The Student Room Group
I'm not an absolute expert on this, so someone else might like to elaborate. I don't think you can, on the grounds that there's usually a deadline you have to respond by, confirming to whatever university you're going to that that's where you're going (I think!). I think if you want to drop out of a university, you have to wait and reapply for the next year. BUT if you go to a university that offers both courses you're thinking of doing, there's the possibility the university will let you change courses.

OK, most people would say you're mad to put Cambridge as your insurance anyway, but more to the point - without a doubt, ALL of their spaces will be filled, unless someone dropped out in the new term; they don't enter clearing, they even reject people in the summer pool. A few top universities won't have any places left either. They're under no obligation to take you if you change your mind. Secondly, I would really advise NOT putting an AAA offer down as your insurance - what if you screw up at A2 and end up with AAB or ABB?

Sorry, I've tried to be as helpful as possible, but maybe you're better off reviewing the situation when you've applied and got some offers? Alternatively you could ring up UCAS and ask your question.

xx
Reply 2
I know, it's a pretty stupid situation to put myself into...

Thanks.
Reply 3
Are you unsure about which course you want to do? I would try to decide before you apply.
^^This is good advice, because if you're opting for two different courses, you might have problems trying to write your PS, and it may be the basis for rejection for whichever course you don't write about. Are they completely different courses?
Reply 5
Vet Med and Languages...as different as you can get :p:

But for Vet Med they'll accept a separate PS.
Reply 6
city_chic
Vet Med and Languages...as different as you can get :p:

But for Vet Med they'll accept a separate PS.

If you're this unsure then it'll show through in the interview for Cambridge and you quite simply wont get in (my lesser desire to read french than spanish was perhaps the key reason for me not having got in - according to the feedback at any rate).. So to be brutally honest I don't think you'll be faced with this dilemma..
Reply 7
lucho22
If you're this unsure then it'll show through in the interview for Cambridge and you quite simply wont get in (my lesser desire to read french than spanish was perhaps the key reason for me not having got in - according to the feedback at any rate).. So to be brutally honest I don't think you'll be faced with this dilemma..

Oh, really? Ugh...
Reply 8
city_chic
Oh, really? Ugh...

You really should decide before applying.

If you have the ability, doing Vet Med would be great and would lead to a lucrative career. You can always learn a language later (I know that's not all that's involved in a language degree and that learning it yourself doesn't compare to spending 3 years at a university studying it, but still).
Reply 9
city_chic
Okay, if I applied to one uni for one course and four others for different courses, and got into the one doing the different course to the four others, started term but realised it was the wrong choice, would I be able to change to my insurance (which could be Cambridge), by explaining my situation and that I made a wrong choice. Would they have all their spaces filled by then?
No, you wouldn't be able to do that. Once you are placed at your firm university, all other offers are cancelled. If you wanted to change courses having started you would have to drop out and reapply, unless you decided to complete the first year while applying through UCAS to start again somewhere else.
Reply 10
Agamemnon
You really should decide before applying.

If you have the ability, doing Vet Med would be great and would lead to a lucrative career. You can always learn a language later (I know that's not all that's involved in a language degree and that learning it yourself doesn't compare to spending 3 years at a university studying it, but still).

Yeah...

Basically, my two passions are animals and languages.

Now I have to decide whether to make a career out of animals and learn and improve my language skills as a hobby, or make a career out of languages and keep my love for animals as a 'hobby.'
You pick Vet over languages every time. Think of the career prospects. You could just teach yourself a language or take a gap year in the country. But then again from your posts on the Vet forum, it seems getting into Vet school might be a little hard.
city_chic
Yeah...

Now I have to decide whether to make a career out of animals and learn and improve my language skills as a hobby, or make a career out of languages and keep my love for animals as a 'hobby.'

Yeah, harsh as it sounds you have to decide now.
Your personal statemnet has to be cock on-you won't be able to show passion for two subjects that are so different to each other. The word limit is rather low, and the uni would see it as a lack of commitment to a particular discpline, should you include mention of both.
Even if you did get an interview, they'd most likely rip your undecidedness out of you and slam it on the desk before urinating on it.
Reply 13
city_chic
Oh, really? Ugh...

Yup... It's definitely not just an ability contest - according to my feedback I was fluent in both languages and did well in the tests and although showing quite a flair for Spanish the admissions tutor was "not entirely convinced" of my desire to study French (which I'm not sure is entirely fair as I do.. It's just not as much of a passion as all things Hispanic for me). I still got pooled twice and whatever.. but they really have to be 100% convinced regardless of whether you have the ability.
Once you've started at a uni, I'm pretty sure there's no way you'd be able to switch to a different one in the same year, so you'd have to either switch from vet med to languages if the uni let you or drop out and reapply for the next year. Even though the vet med admissions tutor will accept a separate personal statement, they'll still see your original UCAS one, so they'll know you've applied for languages everywhere else and that will almost certainly make them question your commitment to the course. If I remember correctly, you can only apply to one uni for a kind of foundation vet med course because you only have biology at A-level and not chemistry? Is that right, or did I just make that up/confuse you with someone else? I also remember you saying you have some work experience and you could explain on your personal statement why you've only applied to that one uni, so I guess that could work, but if vet med is as compeitive as medicine, it will be very tough. If you decide not to apply for that course or you don't get an offer, I guess you could always take a gap year to do A-level chemistry, get some more work experience and reapply? It must be so tough not knowing what course you want to do!
Reply 15
city_chic
Yeah...

Well, in theory you can become very fluent in a language in your spare time, but you can't train to be a veterinarian in your spare time. I know which I'd choose.
Reply 16
Once you've started your course changing to another course, never mind another uni, can be a long, complicated and futile procedure :frown: Accepting a place on a course is a commitment that you have to stick to, and it's hard to get out of that commitment.
Reply 17
kellywood_5
Once you've started at a uni, I'm pretty sure there's no way you'd be able to switch to a different one in the same year, so you'd have to either switch from vet med to languages if the uni let you or drop out and reapply for the next year. Even though the vet med admissions tutor will accept a separate personal statement, they'll still see your original UCAS one, so they'll know you've applied for languages everywhere else and that will almost certainly make them question your commitment to the course. If I remember correctly, you can only apply to one uni for a kind of foundation vet med course because you only have biology at A-level and not chemistry? Is that right, or did I just make that up/confuse you with someone else? I also remember you saying you have some work experience and you could explain on your personal statement why you've only applied to that one uni, so I guess that could work, but if vet med is as compeitive as medicine, it will be very tough. If you decide not to apply for that course or you don't get an offer, I guess you could always take a gap year to do A-level chemistry, get some more work experience and reapply? It must be so tough not knowing what course you want to do!

I'd really have to make an impression at the vet interview...

And yes, it's VERY tough :frown:
Reply 18
city_chic
I'd really have to make an impression at the vet interview...

And yes, it's VERY tough :frown:
If you got one - if it's a really popular course they may do a paper sift first, so that PS will count for a lot.
sorry i know this is got nothing to do with this thread...but city chic, did you get your 4 A's like you hoped for at AS?

Latest

Trending

Trending