The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Which course and which unis did you have in mind? You need to be far more specific for anyone to be able to help you -
Reply 2
Yes, please specify what Universities you're looking at.
As the others have said, it really depends what unis and courses you're hoping to apply for. For the majority, those GCSEs are absolutely fine, but if you want to apply to one of the picky top unis like LSE or Durham, and/or for a really competitive course like medicine or law, they might be more of a problem.
Reply 4
I was thinking a History or English course. They're very competitive which makes it all the more tougher.

University wise, I was thinking places like Warwick, Durham, Leeds, UCL, Bristol and Bath.
Reply 5
Medicine courses, LSE and Oxbridge are popular GCSE Whores
jken89
University wise, I was thinking places like Warwick, Durham, Leeds, UCL, Bristol and Bath.

Durham's pretty much out of the window, to be honest. They're renowned for filtering applicants out using GCSE results, which is why I won't be applying there for English (and, at the risk of sounding immensely arrogant, my GCSEs are a fair bit better than yours).

Leeds, on the other hand, is an excellent choice - their English department has a fantastic reputation, and in my opinion the course, the campus, AND the city are all brilliant - yet they explicitly stated in the English talk at the Open Day that they didn't particularly give a damn about GCSEs. I would imagine the same applies for History there.

I can't speak for the others, but I must point out that unfortunately Bath don't offer degrees in either English or History.
Reply 7
Ahh damn Durham being GCSE whores!

That's good to know as I can decide where else to apply!
From the Durham website on the history admissions page:

We look for good GCSE results (As with a substantial number of A*s, including an A* in History)

The English page doesn't say anything about GCSEs except that a C in a foreign language is preferred, but I'd imagine they'd be quite picky as well, since Durham is notorious for it in general and those courses are roughly equal in terms of competition. You should have a better chance at the other unis you listed though, since I don't think any of them are known for being particularly picky about GCSEs.

Latest

Trending

Trending