The Student Room Group

Ridiculous c/work grade in history

My friend got A grades in every (OCR Tudor) history module over the two years of A level, apart from the coursework in which she was awarded a U - and not even a high one - (it was 15 out of 90)

This made her overall grade a B, only around 10 UMS of an A. She needed the A for her uni place, but thankfully the uni let her in anyway. Despite this, she clearly went for a remark as in everyone's opinion, there was no way she was deserving of a U.

Today, the remark came, with NO CHANGE to the 15 out of 90, leaving her still on a B. Okay, so she doesn't need the remark for uni, but their is still the pride thing... is there any further steps of action she can take now?

When she paid for the remark, she asked for the script back too (presuming it would go up by at last the 10 needed) but now would this fact cause a problem for a re-remark, if such a thing is possible.

Thanks
I didn't know that re-remarks were actually done.
well she could put an appeal in against the exam board?...
Reply 3
yes our sixth form, I think decided today, our using her case, along with two other similar ones, for an official complaint against the board.

woop.
Reply 4
OCR history is ridiculous. Course-work marking is absolutely crazy. A few years back one girl got full marks whilst everyone else got Us and Ds. They were all equally talented and hard-working. Stupid board... Not bitter that I lost my Uni place because of the B in OCR History... xxx
Reply 5
Yeah, our coursework marks fluctuated quite a lot on OCR compared to what our teacher predicted us. If, after looking at the script, your teacher thinks she deserves more than a U, I would definitely lodge an official complaint. I wonder if it was some kind of admin error though, such as the examiner only recieved the first two pages of the coursework or something.
For a moment I though it was just a whining student moaning as they screwed up in an exam, but if the student got A in all exams which are where knowledge and understanding and use of language etc matter then maybe they did not get all the work as U is very poor.
I dont know how to go about geting things checked though. Do you have a choice of questions and maybe you choose one no one else did and got it really wrong? I would ask another tutor to check your work. However I think the teacher marks the work first and then OCR etc ask for a sample of students work. Have you spoken to your teacher? It just seems weird that coursework which at my school was marked a few times by teachers could be a fail when quite clearly you know your stuff!
Reply 7
the teachers in deparment have all read it and think its ridiculous... for ocr you right your own question on any topic... i did mine on a modern question and got full marks, wheras my friend did a tudor one and got 15.... other tudor questions seemed to have been marked down... its all externally marked btw, with just a teacher predicted grade sent of for a guide.

And reblet, i know of two or three people who too lost uni places because of OCR coursework. What a load of crap
Reply 8
I did Tudors as did my friend and we got lower than those who did modern topics. Yet we got higher in almost all the other modules...
Anyway I sent off my coursework and guess what? It was worth more than they had said and now is an A. Unfortunately it's not quite enough to change my overall grade to an A. But we've had a few problems in our history department at school this year, so no great suprise.
But DO get your OCR coursework re-marked!
Oh and if you doubted OCRs stupidity - they sent me a statement of all my module marks and my overall mark. They had added my overall mark up wrongly so now I have to write back for a new one. Argh! haha. xxx
Reply 9
They should scrap the coursework - although I really enjoyed mine (and achieved a good grade), it causes far too many problems. Surely they should realise that students who achieve As in the other 5 modules are unlikely to drop as low as a U on the coursework component.
Reply 10
I hate OCR. I may write to them to tell them so. Our school has never had so much trouble with another exam board. Their coursework marking is mental. It's bizzarre. xxx
Reply 11
Hmm, we do OCR too and everyone got awful grades for their coursework. One guy who always gets As and had put a ridiculous amount of effort into his coursework, he was working on it all the time and always getting feedback and altering it to improve it, got an E. A load of people got Es and Us for their coursework, and I got a crappy mark too when my other modules had good marks, so I think there must be something dodgy going on with OCR and their coursework marking.
Reply 12
OCR are evil... still not at all bitter... haha. But seriously, they are a terrible exam board, especially in history. xxx
I was predicted a B for my coursework and got a D, and a low D at that! Everyone else in my class was predicted lower so I hope the same thing didn't happen to all of them too!
Reply 14
Das Neonicle
But, the coursework, even if it is a hassle to do it, allows ppl who don't perform as well in exams to show their potential.

Really dont think it should be scrapped; in many cases I know, it was the deciding factor to a better grade.

I appreciate the value of coursework, but with OCR History, it is very rarely a deciding factor to a better grade, rather the opposite (it tends to bring grades down). I think this is for two reasons - firstly, the marking is eratic, but also, I don't think that OCR does a good enough job of telling centres what the examiners want to see in a piece of coursework. It's not fair on candidates who are (through no fault of their teachers) misguided when it comes to writing the coursework.
Reply 15
*River
I appreciate the value of coursework, but with OCR History, it is very rarely a deciding factor to a better grade, rather the opposite (it tends to bring grades down). I think this is for two reasons - firstly, the marking is eratic, .

Agreed!!

*River
I don't think that OCR does a good enough job of telling centres what the examiners want to see in a piece of coursework. It's not fair on candidates who are (through no fault of their teachers) misguided when it comes to writing the coursework .

though that does not still explain how some people (such as me) can get 90 out of 90, and other people in the same class with the same teacher get 15... Just pure craziness

Latest