Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When we enrol at uni
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Reply 2
oh okay. i was hoping to get it on the first day... lol just so i can talk to other people to make myself more at home lol!
i enrol on the 18th.. so have to wait 2 days i guess:frown:
Reply 3
depends, you might be able to just plug in the ethernet port and it'll work, i dont know.

But you enrol on either monday or tuesday so you wont have to wait long
Reply 4
I assumed it would just automatically work. I have my laptop already YAY !
Reply 5
marie89
I assumed it would just automatically work. I have my laptop already YAY !

Don't you need (I mean buy) a network card (not the one incorporated in the laptop) and an ethernet cable or something?! :s-smilie::s-smilie:.
Really!!
Don't you need (I mean buy) a network card (not the one incorporated in the laptop) and an ethernet cable or something?! :s-smilie::s-smilie:.

If theres an ethernet port it means theres a network card in the laptop so its all gd
Your laptop needs to have

- wired network card/adapter
- wireless network features, with WPA security

and you'll need a RJ45 cable to plug into the halls internet.
Reply 8
Citizen Zero, I take it the rooms are not wireless? Asking too much I guess
Nope, rooms are not wireless. You have to plug in the RJ45 cable to get onto their network to access the internet.
Reply 10
Thats crap, I thought the rooms were wireless.
Reply 11
Just plug a wireless router into the ethernet port in your room to get wireless then :smile:
Reply 12
Is That even Possible?!
Reply 13
how would that work?!!?

the router gives you access to the internet, so wouldn't that just be connecting your router to the universities great big Router :s
Yes, but you'd be getting wireless, ja? You don't need to sit at the desk with a cable plugged into the wall, instead you get to sit on your bed using the router as a transmitter for 'wireless' internet!
Reply 15
aah i see

i have a spare router at home, i might take it later on in the term!
Reply 16
Citizen Zero
Yes, but you'd be getting wireless, ja? You don't need to sit at the desk with a cable plugged into the wall, instead you get to sit on your bed using the router as a transmitter for 'wireless' internet!

Sounds fun!!...But the question is: are you allow to do so? :s-smilie:
Can someone explain the Security requirements for our laptops to be allowed to go on Brunel's newtwork?

I have Avast AntiVirus on my laptop and I'm not planning to add anything else. Would this be sufficient? If not, then how would Brunel know about it anyway?

TBH, I am unamused with Brunel already. :mad: They are simply 5 years behind the times, on top of the fact that they have a very uninspriing campus with little to do socially. And then the whole pallava with the Internet. :rolleyes: FFS, just turn on the laptop and connect! It's not supposed to be hard is it? But Brunel insist on scanning our laptops for what they consider to be industry-standard software, and every now and then spy on our browsing habits to make sure we aren't using YouTube or MySpace? Pathetic. :mad: I don't like it!
Reply 18
i agree this is the 21st century, were away from home we should at least get some friggin privacy and some leniancy to contact or stay in touch with family whether its through facebook, myspace etc!!!
Reply 19
They scan our computers? Oh ****, i had better delete some stuff. I cant say for sure if plugging a wireless router into your ethernet port will work, since they may only let computers with a certain mac address connect, but it worked at my old school so hopes up. I dont plan on using any major antivirus software since they are probably using their own security software ( i hope).

In regard to myspace (not sure about facebook), i think it is actually a law that the school restricts access to it, lemme see if i can find where i read that.

Latest

Trending

Trending