The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7080
It is 23 with 3 having to be goalkeepers.
Maybe Downing or Walcott to get cut then.
I think Capello has to pick his favoured formation and his first XI team. Then pick a plan B and pick any extra players need needs to suit that formation. Plan C if he's feeling desperate and then fill up the numbers to cover positions.

Take only fit players and only those on form.

For example, imo there is no point in taking 4 strikers if you're planning on playing a formation with one lone striker.
Reply 7083
Cleverley has never convinced me.

Don't let the fact that after a good 45 minutes in the charity shield he was in the England squad fool you.

Original post by Zerforax

For example, imo there is no point in taking 4 strikers if you're planning on playing a formation with one lone striker.

Yeah but that happened in 06. Owen was injured, Rooney suspended, even if we'd have beaten Portugal we'd have had Crouch and Walcott who was still really young and a massive risk then. Dunno why he went to be honest.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7084
I'm thinking:

Goalkeepers - Hart, Green, Carson

Full-backs - Richards, Walker, Cole, Baines

Centre-backs - Terry, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones

Centre-midfielders - Parker, Wilshere, Milner, Gerrard

Wingers - Young, Downing, Walcott, Johnson

Strikers - Rooney, Bent, Agbonlahor, Welbeck
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7085
Hart, Green, Carson

Richards, Walker
Ferdinand, Terry, Jones, Lescott
Cole, Baines

Parker, Wilshere, Gerrard, Barry, Cleverley

Walcott, Young, Sturridge, Milner

Bent, Welbeck, Rooney

As far as balance goes I think that's along the lines of what i'd go with. Bolded is the first team. A lot of the personnel will change because of form and fitness, but in terms of having enough players to cover every position I think that's okay. Milner can cover the wide roles as well as centrally, Welbeck and Sturridge can cover both wide and the lone striker. Ferdinand will prove most wrong before the end of the season, he won't go because Capello seems to have decided he's a symbol of the old guard that needs cutting, but by merit alone he'll be one of the top 4 centre backs.
Original post by Louis.
Hart, Green, Carson

Richards, Walker
Ferdinand, Terry, Jones, Lescott
Cole, Baines

Parker, Wilshere, Gerrard, Barry, Cleverley

Walcott, Young, Sturridge, Milner

Bent, Welbeck, Rooney

As far as balance goes I think that's along the lines of what i'd go with. Bolded is the first team. A lot of the personnel will change because of form and fitness, but in terms of having enough players to cover every position I think that's okay. Milner can cover the wide roles as well as centrally, Welbeck and Sturridge can cover both wide and the lone striker. Ferdinand will prove most wrong before the end of the season, he won't go because Capello seems to have decided he's a symbol of the old guard that needs cutting, but by merit alone he'll be one of the top 4 centre backs.

I think I'd disagree with Walker, Cleverly and Sturridge (potentially Welbeck depending on the form of all the other strikers).

We have plenty of RB and for me Walker hasn't played enough yet. I'd still be tempted with Johnson for now dependent on form for the rest of the season.

Same with Cleverly, not sure if enough experience maybe Lampard coming off the bench with more experience would be better.

I'd rather have Downing in than Sturridge, only because I think we should have at least one left footed player in the squad for the sake of balance.
Reply 7087
Picking the first XI 8 months before the real thing?
Capellos world cup failure was picking names and not form, don't do the same..
Reply 7088
Original post by Zerforax
I think I'd disagree with Walker, Cleverly and Sturridge (potentially Welbeck depending on the form of all the other strikers).

We have plenty of RB and for me Walker hasn't played enough yet. I'd still be tempted with Johnson for now dependent on form for the rest of the season.

Same with Cleverly, not sure if enough experience maybe Lampard coming off the bench with more experience would be better.

I'd rather have Downing in than Sturridge, only because I think we should have at least one left footed player in the squad for the sake of balance.

There's not much between a lot of right backs tbh, but i'm trying to get some youth in where I can. Richards is currently the best English right back, why take an experienced backup? Walker was impressive for Villa last season and has continued that form into this season, and is guaranteed a starting spot for his club more than Johnson. I don't see what Johnson offers that Walker doesn't. He'll end up going because Capello seems to see a different Johnson to most of us, and doesn't recognise the existence of Micah Richards, but i'd disagree with it.

Looking purely at ability i'd agree that Cleverley hasn't done enough to warrant a spot yet, but it's his style of play i'm thinking of. The England midfield being unable to keep possession is a boring cliche now, but it's still true. Wilshere should go some way to remedy that but we can't be totally reliant on him. One of Wilshere/Cleverley should be on the pitch, obviously Wilshere is first choice but in that style of midfielder Cleverley is the next best. They're actually comfortable on the ball, can increase the tempo of a game and don't panic and hoof it under a tiny bit of pressure. Gerrard's passing is very good but he doesn't utilise space in the same way. I tried to fit Lampard in but couldn't manage it, don't think it's a huge loss.

Being left footed isn't enough of a reason to play for England, and even if it was I think Johnson would be a better bet. We'll be playing 4-3-3 so the onus will be on the wide players to come infield and offer a goal threat. Sturridge, and Johnson, are more suited to the task. 30 odd caps and no goals is evidence enough, if we were going 4-4-2 he'd have more of a chance but wingers do very different things in the two systems. If Sturridge doesn't perform over the season for Chelsea than i'd be happy enough to see Johnson there.
Original post by jam277
Milner can count as a winger, so then you can accommodate lampard, gerrard and parker.
I know we all complain about lampard, but his goalscoring record is phenomenal for a midfielder, the second he got benched by AVB, he fixed up and started doing what he does best again. For that reason, i'll take him, Parker must go, he was what was missing in the last world cup, and i think if he was playing instead of barry in the germany game, it would have helped.

Also, if king can have a whole injury free season, he would easily be in the team, dawson too. For right back, I think any two of walker, johnson and richards, for left back, cole and baines,

Milner is left winger with johnson, walcott and young on the right, since these players can play on either wing bar walcott, they should go.

striker, rooney, bent, sturridge, zamora.

Team.
GK: hart, green, carson
RB: two of Walker/richards/johnson
CB: King/jagielka, Terry, lescott, jones/dawson/cahill
LB: Baines, Cole(gibbs and bertrand for 2014)
CM: Parker, Lampard, Gerrard, Barry
RM: Walcott/lennon, johnson/downing
LM: Milner, Young
Striker: Rooney, Bent, sturridge/welbeck, Zamora/crouch(I wish heskey didn't retire, would have put him in the squad straight away for the target man position)

I think you forgot Wilshere. I'd also take Paul Robinson over Carson. For what it's worth, my squad:

GK's: Stockdale, Hart, Robinson
RB: Richards, Walker
CB: Terry, Lescott, Jones, Jagielka
LB: Cole, Baines
RM: Lennon, Walcott
CM: Lampard, Gerrard, Wilshere, Parker
LM: Johnson, Young
CF: Rooney, Agbonlahor, Bent, Sturridge

In the 30-man as well: Carson, Smalling, Johnson, Andy Johnson, Crouch, Barry, Downing
what does everyone reckon about englands chances in euro 2012?:smile:
Reply 7091
We'll there are plenty of new young talent and I am sure that they will get far, if they don't mess up like they usually do!
Original post by Mommy
We'll there are plenty of new young talent and I am sure that they will get far, if they don't mess up like they usually do!

well you know a lot about football mate!!

but england will not get far lol

small matter of germany spain and netherlands to beat aha
Reply 7093
Anything can happen in any game. Greece proved it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by skeanos

Anything can happen in any game. Greece proved it.

bruv.. dont be beggin it yh

think u are..

trus me man spain are gonna demolish england if they meet in the final

SILVA XAVI INIESTA VILLA FABREGAS PUYOL PIQU OOOOFTT
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7095
Original post by as_student
bruv.. dont be beggin it yh

think u are..

trus me man spain are gonna demolish england if they meet in the final

SILVA XAVI INIESTA VILLA FABREGAS PUYOL PIQU OOOOFTT

IM GETTING A BONERRR

Its a shame none of those players could manage a goal against the mighty lescott jagielka on saturday.
well look at the possession of spain they tore u shreds.. they were messing around with england

ITS A FRIENDLY LOL

doesnt count towards anything

and spain 2004 and 2008 euro and wc champioensessnenessnnenensn! wey wyeyyyy

btw do u do fantasy.premierleague.com??
Original post by KingMessi

Original post by KingMessi
I think you forgot Wilshere. I'd also take Paul Robinson over Carson. For what it's worth, my squad:

GK's: Stockdale, Hart, Robinson
RB: Richards, Walker
CB: Terry, Lescott, Jones, Jagielka
LB: Cole, Baines
RM: Lennon, Walcott
CM: Lampard, Gerrard, Wilshere, Parker
LM: Johnson, Young
CF: Rooney, Agbonlahor, Bent, Sturridge

In the 30-man as well: Carson, Smalling, Johnson, Andy Johnson, Crouch, Barry, Downing

Robinson retired. Yeah wilshere over barry, but barry can offer something, people have been slating him too much, also, as much as i love having walcott and lennon, we need to accommodate milner because his work hard attitude is needed for the tough games where our wingers have to drop back a lot, i would take out johnson or lennon/walcott for him.

How i wish bale was english, would just have bale and young as undisputed wingers, both probably good enough to get into the spanish team.
Reply 7098
Original post by jam277

Original post by jam277
How i wish bale was english, would just have bale and young as undisputed wingers, both probably good enough to get into the spanish team.

:nothing:
I think Iniesta + Silva > Young and Bale tbh.

As if it even had to be said :colonhash:

Latest